Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

WSOP Triple BuyIn Chips

Discussion in 'Poker News' started by schullerjason, Apr 11, 2009.

1. schullerjason

schullerjason Well-Known Member

What do you think? Like it or hate it? 30,000 chips for $10K. What a bargain! Hopefully this year they show more than 9 hands of heads up at the main event.

2. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Are they tripling the blinds too?

3. imthatguy

imthatguy Lifetimer/Former Mod
    Lifetime Supporter

From what I recall, they're dropping a blind level.

4. ipgyst

ipgyst Well-Known Member

A few years ago they doubled the chips and...doubled the blinds! That made zero sense to me. Now they are increasing the chips another 50% and dropping a blind level. This also makes zero sense to me. Eventually, I expect WSOP events to turn into games of Crossbows & Catapults, where contestants build the sturdiest structures from their wheelbarrows full of starting chips, then try to knock everybody else's castle down.

5. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

I agree, it is pretty stupid. The doubling of starting stack and blinds was a 0 sum gain. WTF was the point? I remember they said something stupid like people like big stacks of chips in front of them. Well ok, that's pretty easily done with a 10K stack and more 100s. Duh.

At least this change sounds like the player gains a little bit. Losing a blind level isn't a big deal, but again why are you changing it?? The only thing I can think of is, they expect fewer ME players due to the crappy economy but the hotels, etc don't want to lose all the business they've counted on so they make the stacks bigger so the game lasts longer. Longer play = longer stay for those who do attend. That's the only way this makes any sense.

6. schullerjason

schullerjason Well-Known Member

World Series of Poker - Official Tournament Coverage and Results
    That's this year's structure. The way I uderstood it from my brief perusing of the latest Cardplayer, everything is supposed to benefit the players. EDIT: Blind levels have been ADDED.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009