Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Worst home game ever?

Discussion in 'Home Game General' started by SteveA, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Lottery Larry

Lottery Larry Well-Known Member

As long as "different" /= "incorrect", I'm with you.

2. Krafticus

Krafticus Well-Known Member
    Premium Supporter

Actually, I am very careful with what goes on at others games, and always ask for clarification from the host if anything abnormal happens (a big example is the 1-chip rule. Most play it as a call, but many home players don't grasp that concept). I don't offer much advice, as their game is their game. When people ask me for advice, I open the flood gates though. :wink:

I had to rework most of my cousin's game, as he couldn't quite grasp the blinds concept. (he started at 25/50, and after 3 hours (9 levels), blinds finally made it to 250/500 with no antes... heads up with 68000 in chips, and blinds were 300/600, and it was a long game)

Mark

3. jdunford

jdunford Donkey hunter
    Lifetime Supporter

While you're justifying your comments...

I remember playing dealer's choice and 5-card draw in the '90s (before anybody I knew had even heard of hold'em or tournaments or would even consider watching people play cards on TV), and still this would have been an outrage!

So you're saying it's neither surprising nor noticeable for a host to:

1. not collect the same buy-in (or any buy-in at all, in some cases) from players; e.g. some people played for free, others for $40, others for $50
    2. change the "rake" (from a $40+$10 tourney to a ??? where 50% of it magically disappears from the prize pool)
    3. change the prize structure - which had been decided on before the tournament, and re-stated at the final table - after he busted out, without consulting those still in the tournament (first, I think it's heinous to change the prizes after the tourney started; second, even if it was OK to change it, knowing would have been nice as it would have effected how I played heads-up).
    4. not have any cards (made me go "WTF?"); after all, he invited ~ 20 people to come over for a poker night. Cards might come in handy...

4. Lottery Larry

Yeah, I know this one. I have to keep reminding myself that the rules don't all HAVE to be the "right" way, even though I think they should :wink:

AWESOME! Talk about a structure that encourages skill.... and insomnia

5. Lottery Larry

Justifying? I guess it wasn't "furthering" or "clarifying", then. Fail, me. :laugh:

I didn't say it's not noticeable NOW. Are you telling me that you don't remember being at those types of games, back in the day? Perhaps I was in the low-rent district, then..... because I remember running into these types of things myself. I also remember shrugging them off somewhat as "well, that seems stupid, I wouldn't do that, but...."

And those events were noticeable in the "bob's an idiot, did anyone bring cards? Ted, can you go get yours? Now, where are the chips?" realm....

.... and not what seems to be the "OMGTHEHOSTISAMORAN! HE'S COMMITTED A FEDERAL CRIME AGAINST ALL THAT IS HOLY IN POKER AND MUST BE BLUDGEONED!"way that some people seem to react, to these types of less-than-professional home games.

Hopefully I justified myself, here.

6. Lottery Larry

That being said..... I think my reaction to your game horror would probably have been similar, now, to what you related.

7. 99%evil

99%evil Banned

Did you just quote yourself?

8. Nickawompus

Nickawompus © ♥♦ Nobody Special ♣♠ ®
    Lifetime Supporter

Yep, :)

[​IMG]

9. Lottery Larry

Sad, inn'nt ?

10. Starem Down

Starem Down Well-Known Member

Where to begin with MY horror story....I'll give you the abridged version...

1. Lots of dogs;
    2. Lots of dogs pooping everywhere (including a "Not so Great" Dane);
    3. Lots of breaks for host picking up all the poop (I mean EVERYWHERE,
    including the couch);
    4. Only after a completed orbit would the dealer change (mind you, only
    playing NLHE), but blinds did continue as normal, if memory's correct;
    5. No split pots...in the event of what would be a split, decision went to the
    highest 6th card :huh:;
    6. One super fly, I mean uber-ridiculous drunk dude (drinking Jack straight from the bottle; and no Krafticus, that wasn't me :wink:)
    7. Paper cards;
    8. Dice chips would have been f*n shaweet compared to what we "played" w/;
    9. The table.....was it cardboard?
    10. Dare I go on?

11. Lottery Larry

Please do! Unabridged version, preferably.

I really want to hear the dog diarrhea justification....

12. Krafticus

Krafticus Well-Known Member
    Premium Supporter

Was that here in MD, or in TX?... or somewhere else. Man, that sounds just horrid (mainly the dogs)

13. Starem Down

So there we were (lol), on a crisp Maryland night. It was a game a colleague had invited me to go to; for the group was to be the who's who at our command. It was supposed to be some good face time with guys that made decisions. That said...
    I'm first to arrive, as it's my 1st time at this dude's house. I bring my usual 18 pack, some chips and I'm eager to have some fun. The guy greets me...then his damn dog (the Dane)...then his other two dogs (apparently, 2 rats that he taught how to wag their tails). My colleage that invited me shows up next followed by the rest of the crew, one of which brings HIS 2 dogs. It's a split level home, so the living room isn't all that large, even less so cuz of the oversized furniture. Dogs are going apesh*t with each other, loud as all hell. Some meet n' greets, and we kick things off. By now, I'm just a bit irritated cuz 1. we're now about 45 minutes late on kicking this thing off, 2. the dogs are well, going crazy, 3. I saw the set up we're playing on and what we're using as cheques (even tho att I had dice chips, myself; I still felt I had a better setup than this joker). lol. I digress...

So we kick it off and after the 1st hand, instantly questioned wtf? cuz the 1st dealer was dealing again...then it was explained to me how they play...ahhhh shheeeeet I thought to myself...

Then it happened. Me and the guy to my right look at each other at the same time and ask, "was that you?" followed by, "not me"...same time, in sync....We looked on the floor, under and around the table, under the chairs...nothing. I had my jacked draped over the back of my chair. I lifted up the left sleeve, which was a few inches from the floor, and wouldn't you know-a big great big puddle, not pile, mind you, of Great Dane schite.....time for a smoke break, went outside and the rest of the crew sanz host followed. Host cleaned it up, to include using the carpet cleaner/washer, and lit some candles...Good for a laugh, whatever.

1o minutes later, 2 of the other dogs, dropped deuces...same rig, I went to smoke, crew followed, out came the carpet cleaner...

Then about an hour later, the Dane not only squirted again; but did so in the living room, kitchen, hallway, on the sofa....unreal.

So, I'm furious. Would have left had it not been for thoroughly kicking everyone's arses on the table. The split pot thing....I voice my opinion that it was one of the most ridiculous things I had ever heard; however, my argument went so far given that I won 4 out 5 splits. Kind of guilty pleasure in that....

14. Starem Down

ahhh yes..and #10: 20 bone max on a .25/.50 game, for the ENTIRE night

15. Starem Down

Oh, and yeah, since this IS THE sh*ttiest home game eva (quite literally)...I am open to rx samples lol!! PM me for my address. Krafticus, talk to bald Doug; he'll verify!

16. cgraham86

cgraham86 Well-Known Member
    Supporter

The moment dog sh*t hit my nose I'd be down the road - walking if I had to.

Ug. Makes me sick thinking about it.

17. Starem Down

CG, trust me; I was out the door, literally. The combination of my friend, Bald Doug, and the facts that I really wanted to play and I was confident I could win some mullah there kept me there, albeit begrudgingly....

18. alpine0000

alpine0000 Well-Known Member

AK would be the nut straight there :stunned:

19. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    There is always a first. I'd never had a bad experience at a home game, nor had I never played anywhere where there weren't table stakes until..

I was invited by my friend to a new game hosted by someone he knew from high school. He hadnt played there before either and the guy is someone I don't know. I got there later and I sit down and buy in for $100. I fold several hands, and after about 15 minutes, we get to the hand. There are eight guys sitting around the table. I'm in big blind. Action folds around and the small blind call. Flop comes and I catch 2 pair. Small blind bets $20 and I call. I have about $21 in the pot and $75 in front of me, and he has almost $200. He bets $200, and I announce call all-in for the $75 in front of me. They proceed to tell me that I can't call for less than the $200 bet. I start to explain table stakes. The hosts tells me they don't play that way and I can either put money on the table, borrow it from someone, or fold. Five minutes of argument, I folded the $21, cashed out and got the hell out of there.

20. Lottery Larry

"..... got my bankroll, brought $2k into the game and blasted everyone off of every hand that was played"

Please tell me you left that part out, accidentally?