Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Why I dislike Paulson poker chips

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Care' started by jriffel, Jun 22, 2009.

1. toad94

toad94 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Now that's funny!

2. kimert

kimert Well-Known Member

3. Blaster

Blaster Well-Known Member

NewsFlash:
    OP of this thread runs 1st annual "I hate Paulsons" Tourney ..
    Huge Turnout!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  4. madcow

madcow Active Member

Hilarious!

I don't think the OP'er understands that "overpriced", "too fragile", and "oiled too often" are not the same things as expensive, fragile, and dry.

The objective statement is that Paulsons are expensive. The fact is that they're some of the most expensive chips on the market. The emo, ranty statement is that they're "overpriced" because they sell for a markup. Is soda overpriced because it sells for a 60% markup over cost? Is a Honda overpriced because it's 20,000 times more expensive than a bus ticket?

Is a Paulson fragile? More so than a dice chip. But then again my suede jacket is more fragile than my denim jacket, and yet they both have their place. Is it "too fragile", I dunno. I suppose the windows in my house are "too fragile" because I broke one when I bumped into it, but I'm not about to replace my windows with bricks. Windows just look and feel nicer despite being more fragile.

Are they dirt and grime magnets? More so than a dice chip, but then again my carpet is a dirt magnet and I'm not about to replace it all with cheap linoleum. Carpet just looks and feels way better.

I suppose the bottom line is that it's all about value... meaning price vs quality. The OP'er is saying that he's happy riding the bus in his denim suit to his linoleum covered house. That's cool for him, and I totally think that there's nothing wrong with that. But there's nothing wrong with me driving my car to my plush house either.

The only weird thing is that the guy spent who knows how much time building his own ginormous chip case from scratch, but faults others for spending time cleaning and oiling their chips. Personlly, I think that both activities are pretty much in the same realm.

5. djexacto

djexacto Well-Known Member

I think many people are missing the point. It sounds like OP is just throwing this out there to spark a bit of a debate and maybe challenge the common "holy grail" notion a bit.

6. JJ83

JJ83 Well-Known Member
    Supporter

You're probably right, but if you want to start a conversation on a touchy subject like Paulsons, you might want to be a little more objective to begin with. I mean, using words like OVERPRICED and TOO FRAGILE (this from a guy who uses cheap plastics as his chip of choice, which is fine, but gives a different context to this entire thread)... the only controversy or debate you're bound to create is that concerning jriffel's n00bness or ignorance or whatever.

Had the OP been written in a different tone, using carefully thought out adjectives, and not effectively bashing every Paulson owner's intellect, this thread might've actually turned out to be a very interesting read. It's still somewhat interesting, but for a VERY different reason.

7. beerlightbroker

beerlightbroker Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose this is my thinking on this post. Paulson chips are the best or in the top two, it's between them and asm chips, I perfer horseheads myself. To be frank the cost has no bearing on owning a supreme set of chips. I was going to get a nice set regardless of price. What you pay is what you can afford or want to spend.

8. beerlightbroker

beerlightbroker Well-Known Member

Also my asm horsehead set has brought countless people to my home to play heads up games. Which I must admit they paid for my set. A nice chip set will draw players. Why even have a set if you suck at poker? If you are good, your set ,regardless of price will pay for itself, like mine did in about 3 months, maybe less. Maybe OP is a hater, maybe he can't afford paulsons, but until he buys some or has some he shouldn't knock other people's dream sets.

9. legend

legend Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Ricky Gervais to star in new Benny Hill movie. A sad story of how someone got facked by the guys for whom he made a fortune.

The funniest part of Riffels post is that it's coming from a joker with a nice case , but it's full of dice chips. It's like building a mansion in the hills and furnishing it with free stuff from Craigslist. Where did we go wrong out here ?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  10. JJ83

JJ83 Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I'm gonna be brutally honest and say that after he added the dice chips to the side of the chest, it became much less than nice (imo, there shouldn't have been any chips added to the side in that fashion, even Paulsons).

Oh well. I'm an a$$, I know. But at least he likes his chest and that's the most important thing, isn't it :stunned:

Slightly offtopic, sorry...

11. DoLittle

DoLittle Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Serve all u can eat Fried Chicken then let the dog clean' em up...2 out 5 problems solved :wink:

12. Syfted

Syfted Well-Known Member

The best "feeling" chips I own at the moment are Paulsons. I have no Matsui or Bud Jones chips but have heard great things... though I doubt they could usurp Paulsons in terms of feel, they may well be able to.

The best price:quality ratio chips I have are the Desert Palms "china compression clays" from Jim at the Chip Room...

...followed closely by faux clays.

13. Matt255

Matt255 Well-Known Member

I think the best feeling chips are TRK and Paulsons. Too bad i never had a TRK set.

14. K ALL IN 9

K ALL IN 9 Well-Known Member

Then you need to lay your hands on some Bud Jones S2's (i.e. Treasure island poker room, LV hilton, WSOP 2005-06) STAT!

If you want the best compression molded, its paulson. If you want the best injection molded, it's Bud Jones.

15. Syfted

Syfted Well-Known Member

Ten really liked those durachips, I'll give those a shot in September.

16. Riculus

Riculus Faux Clay Nation

This is simple. I love lead.:)

17. CaptinCards

CaptinCards Member

I just ordered a sample of palson chip from side pot 10 for 20.00. Its the first time ive handled real clay chips. I like the way the look as well. They are much harder to shuffle and lighter than my old chips. One thing that concerned me is that the color comes off pretty easily, tranfering to the other chips even the towel i have down on my desk. Not sure if that a plus in the chip world or not... they are pretty expensive at 1.50 per chip...i got them from side pot (buypoker chip.com) I doubt id get a set...are there any quality clay chips besides these?

18. toad94

toad94 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Good observation on the color-transfer. IMO it's a poor trade-off in order to get a softer, duller-sounding chip.

For quality clay chips that don't have color-transfer, do a search for ASM and BCC. And welcome to Chiptalk!

19. jdunford

jdunford Donkey hunter
    Lifetime Supporter

Clay chips will wear in with time. Eventually, as the edges lose their sharpness, they'll be much easier to shuffle than your old chips. And they'll always be less slippery than your old plastic chips.

20. EmptyPocs

EmptyPocs all chips, no cash
    Lifetime Supporter

Wow, I dont know if I should be glad I tuNed out in june if this was the type of threads making headlines.

So did jriffle ever get a raise? I hate thinking he still cant afford paulsons :wink:

just kidding, yes they are expensive, but you wont care once you you buy into the family.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009