Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Who is the Suicide King??

Discussion in 'Poker News' started by RussB42, Feb 6, 2009.

1. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

I have been reading the Poker Pro Mag, Dec 2008, and have read two articles refering to the Suicide King and am woundering who it is. There is one story about the Professor, the Banker and the Suicide King and another about Michael Craig who also references the Suicide King.

I bought NatePT's, BCC Set of Suicide Kings Hot Stamped Chips and am really courious now, as I didn't know there was an actual person called the Suicide King.

Anyone got any info?:)

2. PhilTheThrill14

PhilTheThrill14 Well-Known Member

It's a book...

From Publishers Weekly
    The "professor" is Howard Lederer, a professional poker player whose rigorous analytical approach to the game earned him his nickname. The banker is Andy Beal, a multimillionaire obsessed with beating the world's best poker players at their game, limit Texas hold 'em, played for stratospheric stakes. The suicide king, a symbol of the aleatory nature of the endeavor, is the king of hearts, who holds his broadsword behind his head. It's a great mix, and Craig (The 5 Minute Investor) offers a knowledgeable and observant chronicle of the high-stakes games between Beal and the syndicate of professional players organized by the "Babe Ruth of poker," Doyle Brunson. The syndicate put up $10,000,000 to sit opposite Beal, trading $100,000 bets. Beal, for his part, took a mathematical approach, at one point running millions of computer simulations of various poker problems, in search of an edge against the pros, who rely on an uncanny intuition honed by thousands of hands. Craig includes enough details about the professionals to allow readers insight into their gambler personalities. Having interviewed many of the participants in this legendary poker battle, he describes it with an appropriate sense of awe, and readers will be awed as well.
    Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

3. joepro

joepro Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I was under the impression that Ted Forrest was the suicide king, due to his seemingly erratic style of play and general craziness. But I could be wrong.

I highly recommend the book by michael craig. It's an easy read, and very entertaining, with a small amount of poker strategy insight. It's an amazing story.

I thought a hotstamped set of professors, bankers, and suicide kings would be cool, but nobody in the group buy loved the idea.

4. jojobinks

jojobinks Poker Nerd (and Admin)
    Lifetime Supporter

Way to answer a question no one asked Philly. The sk is ted Forrest btw.

5. PhilTheThrill14

PhilTheThrill14 Well-Known Member

I was pointing him to where he could find the answer - which would be the book. Sometimes you gotta teach them to fish Matt.

6. rimmerryan

rimmerryan Chip Nerd / Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I am reading that book currently, and it is an excellent read.

I didn't realize that it was about someone from the Dallas area, and the fact that I live here is making it that much better... I drive by the Beal Bank building almost every day !!! Great history and story telling by the author to set the book up too...

:)
    R.

7. BassVillan

BassVillan Faux Clay Nation

Andy Beal is indeed the suicide king. At least the one that the opening post is referring to. (i am an idiot and should shut my mouth)

:)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  8. Johnny5

Johnny5 ·°· Chip Artist ·°·
    Lifetime Supporter

Actually, I believe Andy Beal would be the 'Banker'.

9. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll try and get the book and read it, as it does sound like an interesting story.

10. beekeeper

beekeeper Creativity Alliance

The book is a really good read and a great gift idea for a guy (I've given it several times, lol).

I'd be interested to hear more about how these players acquired that nickname.

11. jamby

jamby Creativity Alliance

From the Cardplayer.com article "Ted Forrest: The Education of a Suicide King" by Michael Craig published 9/20/05. LInky to entire article

Earlier this year, I wrote a book about poker, "The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time." That book and this article share a focus on Ted Forrest and the title Suicide King. The "suicide king" is the king of hearts, who, in a standard deck of cards, holds a sword to his head. The term also symbolizes the fine line professional poker players walk between success and self-destruction.

Ted Forrest understands that flirtation as well as any man alive. Several readers of my book have asked me if Forrest is the Suicide King of my book, in the sense that Howard Lederer is clearly the Professor and Andy Beal is obviously the Banker.

I won't say.

The title of this article, the first part of a three-part series about Ted Forrest, one of the world's best and most interesting professional gamblers, will again raise the question.

I still won't say.

12. ukyah

ukyah Well-Known Member

as said above, great book! andy beal is a fascinating person.

13. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

Poker Pro Mag must have been reading my thred!!!!!!!!!!!! March 2009 issue has a story"Behind the Scenes With the "Suicide King".... TED FORREST

Thanks Again everyone.

14. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

? This didn't post to the new replys?