Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

What's the best game for heads up poker?

Discussion in 'Dealer's Choice Games' started by JM, Apr 5, 2006.

1. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Ok, so sometimes a couple of us work late and I keep a small set of chips & cards in my office disguised as a humidor :cool: and I'm wondering what game would be best for heads up. Holdem is a PIA if you have pre-flop folds. It can just be a shufflefest and be un-fun fast. What is best for a good heads up match? Tournament and/or cash, be interested in opinions on both. Thanks.

2. SingleMaltFan

SingleMaltFan Well-Known Member

i am gonna bump this because i am very interested in this answer myself, tho would also like the answer/opinions for a 3-4 handed max game.

looking forward to the answers

1malt

3. vrecksler

vrecksler Well-Known Member

4. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

Well, my first thought was Holdem but I will say that I also play a lot of heads up PL Omaha with my fiance. It's less of a "shuffle-fest," as you put it...anyway, if you're looking to avoid Holdem, I would recommend PL Omaha. Oh, and don't fear the "math" aspect of PL...because with only 2 players it's easy to calculate and you're also going to memorize the betting amounts real fast.

5. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

OK, PLO is a good suggestion but may be a little too complex for the guys I'm thinking of. I'm thinking along the lines of a stud or draw game. One guy suggested blackjack, but I can't really see that.

6. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

I say go for 5 card stud. That way the winner can say after the game, I'll bet "The Man". I'll be the best there is. People will come aqnd sit down at the table with you, just so they can say they played with "The Man".

7. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

lol I like it!

8. _GUN_

_GUN_ Well-Known Member

what about Kansas City lowball? you'll get action and it moves fast.

9. P10bostonian

P10bostonian Well-Known Member

acey duecy is a fun one.. or guts

10. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Don't know KC lowball, how's that one go?

For acey duecy would you just keep going thru the deck till you run low/out and then shuffle or shuffle after each hand? I'm trying to avoid alot of shuffling since I'll be doing most of it :sad:

11. P10bostonian

P10bostonian Well-Known Member

well for acey ducey, just get like 5 decks of cards, shuffle it all together and deal it out... hehe

12. gramma

gramma Well-Known Member

Crazy Pienaple ( my spelling sucks)

13. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Hmm, now there's an idea. Or better yet Crazy Pineapple hi/lo.

14. _GUN_

_GUN_ Well-Known Member

Lowball is arguably the toughest event to win at the WSOP. It's 5 card draw with two rounds of betting. You make a raise and then draw cards, then the second round of betting and a showdown. In Kansas City aka, deuce to seven, you want to make the lowest possible hand. 2-3-4-5-7 is the best hand you can have. 2-2-5-7-8 would lose to 2-3-4-6-A, because the Ace high beats the pair.

15. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, I was familiar with razz aka lowball, kinda like it sometimes for a change. Never heard of the KC version though. In that version I think str8s and flushes DO count right? So those would be bad hands, unlike A2345s in Razz being the best hand.

16. _GUN_

_GUN_ Well-Known Member

In Kansas City, straights & flushes count, so in lowball, a straight would beat a flush because it's a worse hand. In California lowball, straights/flushes don't count. The WSOP deuce to seven championship is a $5,000 re-buy tourney with blinds and antes.

17. Sooner

Sooner Well-Known Member

Heads up KC lowball, if you play it correctly (in other words, no one makes stupid drawing decisions, plays mediocre pat hands, etc.) is probably the worst game to play heads up ever created. Plan on one person folding preflop for 50 hands or so until both players are delt pat hands, or a great draw (something like 2-3-5-7, 2-4-5-8, etc.) goes up against a pat hand.

Now, heads up KC lowball triple draw (played limit) is a great heads up game with a lot of action but the swings are pretty large and it can be frustrating at times.

Personally, I find that heads up holdem is almost the perfect game. Any other holdem game is as close to pure boredom at the poker table that you can get, but heads up any two cards play really. BTW, heads up holdem when played limit will give the better player more of an advantage than the NL version.

So the short answer is 2-7 lowball triple draw or limit holdem.

18. whitepotatoe

whitepotatoe Well-Known Member

I would recommend PL Omaha or Triple Draw 2-7. Sooner is right that Kansas City Lowball would suck heads up because it would really be a fold-fest.

19. _GUN_

_GUN_ Well-Known Member

I originally posted lowball as a more obscure choice. However, when draw poker was invented, it was originally referred to as 'bluff poker', not 'draw poker'----if played correctly, draw poker should result in a bluff fest, not a fold fest. I personally like playing 20-min rounds---hold'em, then omaha, then stud, then lowball and just cycle over and over.

20. Sooner

Sooner Well-Known Member

The problem with that line of thought is that in KC lowball, unlike in holdem or even high draw poker, a marginal draw will usually be drawing dead against a decent pat hands. Just because it was called "bluff" poker doesn't mean that bluffing frequently is the ideal strategy. The lack of community cards makes bluffing out a good hand almost impossible. Even the great Doyle Bruson himself admits that being a calling station in KC lowball can be a winning strategy, and there is nothing a frequnt bluffer hates more than a calling station.