Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

What does the T stand for?

Discussion in 'Poker Chip General' started by DsquareD, Oct 2, 2011.

1. DsquareD

DsquareD Member

OK, stupid new guy question here. Perhaps I just need to be pointed to the terms and definitions. Why do chip values have a T prefix? I see things like T2500 or color up T25. I've spent many hours reading lots of great information on this forum and have some thoughts, but would like a definition.

Thanks. :)

2. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

The T prefix is short for Tournament and is used for chips that are used in tournaments and that have no redemption value outside the context of the tournament. Thus, T100 refers to a 100-unit tournament chip, in contrast to a $100 chip that can be redeemed for $100 cash.

Although we refer to a T100 chip, the chip itself doesn't have the T.

3. BGinGA

BGinGA Well-Known Member
    Premium Supporter

And a tournament chip may or may not have a $ sign. Most cash chips will always have a currency sign.

4. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Oh, yeah -- forgot about that, especially in fantasy sets.

5. DsquareD

DsquareD Member

Thanks guys. That's what I was surmising, but I appreciate the affirmation.

I just pulled the trigger on a set of Nile Club chips yesterday and the deciding factor, besides I liked the look and the price (~.40 each), was my wife and her desire to have denominations on the chip face. I got a 500 set of 25, 100, 500 & 1000 denominations, that we can use for both fantasy chips (T values I guess) as well as cash chips (by moving an imaginary decimal). I was kind of intimidated about talking about my purchase, because I was unsure of the terminology.

6. JeromyinWV

JeromyinWV ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Also is used as a total starting chip count in tourneys. For example a T10,000 means that each person gets a total value of 10,000 in chips and a T100 tournament , each person would start with 100 in chips.

for example

12 X T25
    12 X T100
    7 X T500
    5 X T1000
    for a total of T10,000

7. mindaramblin

mindaramblin Well-Known Member

Throw some pictures up here of your Nile Clubs! I ordered a sample set awhile back and even though I thought they were beautiful chips, they weren't for me. I'm just not a huge fan of the ceramic feel. Hope they're working out for you.

8. UW85

UW85 Chipaholic
    Lifetime Supporter

Gawd I remember the first year or so I was on this site -- so many times I felt stupid with respect to the abbreviations or shorthand or a myriad of other items users were posting. Feel free to PM any of the users on this thread (sorry to speak for y'all but I figure it's OK) with those questions rather than go a long time w/o knowing.

For sure searching the site for answers is a good thing, but there time when ya just get frustrated & don't hesitate to shoot an established member a note. ...and just to be sure, I'm not saying that doing it this way, starting a thread is bad, it's more that I remember so well feeling like you and it would have been nice to be able to have a place/member to go and get some answers w/o posting a new thread. Hope that makes sense.

Of course if you PM me I'll probably not have the answer and refer you to Beekeeper or Nana. :)

Best of luck
    U-dub

9. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

10. pltrgyst

pltrgyst Well-Known Member

11. mtl mile end

mtl mile end Well-Known Member

I now know it's under "Review Drafting Wikis". But even then, it's under "P" for "Poker Chip Glossary" not "G". Not the most intuitive route to its locale. I usually just search "glossary".

12. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

I know it, I had to search for 'glossary' to find a post with a link. We gotta make it more obvious.