Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

What are you guys kicking in for heathcare?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by dennis63, Mar 3, 2013.

1. steverino

steverino Well-Known Member

The Insurance companies in our area are "not for profit" and their retiring CFO is walking away with a 10 MILLION dollar retirement package.

2. lilmaniac2

lilmaniac2 Well-Known Member

I used to pay $153/month for a couple no kids for Public Employee Health Insurance at my old job in EMS. $2,000 deductable $20 co pay and a prescription card.

Now I pay $0 out of pocket, employer covers all costs. I <3 my new job

3. dennis63

dennis63 Well-Known Member

That's great coverage.

I had the big "employee healthcare" meeting at work tonight at 7. Looks like I'll be paying an additional $40 per pay to get about the same coverage, so the hit is not major.

4. EmptyPocs

EmptyPocs all chips, no cash
    Lifetime Supporter

United Healthcare / Oxford
    i think its $295 a week for the two of us (criminal); i try not to look :razz:
    (and I still have a $100/yr prescription deductable; all name brand meds cost $60 per fill (with limited amounts per fill); $50 copay to visit any doc other than primary care (no referrals needed))

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. EmptyPocs

EmptyPocs all chips, no cash
    Lifetime Supporter

revised

edit: sorry for double post, i was editing the last one $ figure since i finally checked and cant seem to delete this post

6. bergs

bergs The Don Rickles of Chiptalk
    Lifetime Supporter

Good news! I was off by 2-3 years. Bad news! It's happening now.

Doctors selling their practices - Jul. 16, 2013

First the hospitals will consoldiate all of the healthcare delivery. Then they'll leverage their de facto monopoly to increase costs, squeeze out smaller providers, etc. Then they'll drop quality and breadth of services in the interest of profitability. This isn't a panicked reacion to Obamacare or anything of the sort - it's simple Business Operations 101 (sadly).

7. RONNIECASH

RONNIECASH Well-Known Member

$156.00 per week for me and my wife. Gotta love NY.

8. Meddler

Meddler Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Media:
    Ive been through this before in another thread, but it's hundreds of dollars ($430mo) for family coverage. Our emplorer, UT Austin, is a state agemcy and is self-insured.
    Single employees and retirees don't pay a dime.

It's a complete fiasco but UT doesn't care for a variety of reasons; mainly they aren't forced by any entity to be efficient.

When I worked at Mororola 13 yrs ago, family coverage was around $90/mo.

Edit: coverage doesn't include vision and rx coverage has a $100 deductible per family member.

And we pay $500/yr for parking but don't get me started on that.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  9. bergs

bergs The Don Rickles of Chiptalk
    Lifetime Supporter

It's open enrollment time at most US companies and I was curious what people we're seeing from their employees. 3 big changes I'm seeing:

1) Only plans with huge deductibles ($2-5K) are being offered
    2) Cutting back to only a single plan for employees
    3) Requiring employee and dependents to submit biometrics for coverage or be assessed an extra $50-100 fee monthly. Consists primarily of blood test score, BMI, medical history, and physical. Being used supposedly to "enhance healthcare offerings".

Sad, really. Obamacare was a half measure IMO and half measures rarely work as well as either extreme in this sort of situation.

It feels as if employers are gradually phasing out company-offered healthcare and will soon be directed employees to the exchange. At the very least the employer saves on having to research and coordinate healthcare options on annual basis and they can repurpose those HR resources towards other endeavors.

My wife's company offers excellent benefits - hopefully they aren't changing this year.