Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Weird Omaha Variation?

Discussion in 'Dealer's Choice Games' started by wafflestomper, Aug 15, 2010.

1. wafflestomper

wafflestomper Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any type of variation on Omaha where you would pass a card (or cards) to a neighbor? We were playing Omaha the other night, and someone brought up wanting to try something like that... Anyone have any experience with it?

2. Puggy

Puggy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Never heard of such. One player to a hand in poker. Whatever game it has been, it can't be called "poker".

3. legend

legend Well-Known Member
    Supporter

we used to play a game called 4 pass one. everyone got 4 and passed one to the left then you made your best 3 card hand. straight beats a flush in that game though.

4. cpiaaq

cpiaaq Creativity Alliance

Anaconda is a good game involving passing cards.

Everyone is dealt 7 cards.
    Everyone passes 3 to their left. Bet
    Everyone passes 2 to their left. Bet
    Everyone passes 1 to their left. Bet
    Showdown (best 5 of 7)
    Alternately you can have a rolling showdown.
    Discard 2 and place your remaining 5 cards face down in the order you would like (no looking/organizing after this point).
    Everyone simultaneously rolls 1 card, bet (high hand showing starts).
    Roll 1 card, bet.
    Roll 1 card, bet.
    Roll 1 card, bet.
    Roll the final card and see who wins :)

5. pltrgyst

pltrgyst Well-Known Member

We used to play Anaconda high-low all the time. Seven cards dealt to each player. Three passes of three cards each (so you can never hold a pat hand -- leads to lots of bluffs), usually left-right-left, but if you have an even number, you can also pass across.

After all the passing, choose your five card hand, place it face down, and roll your own top to bottom, betting on each round.

After all that, declare hi-lo with chips in your fist -- one for high, none for low, two for both. If you declare both, you must win both outright -- no ties -- or you get nothing. Then one final round of betting, and the showdown.

The game was invented in the 19th century at the Anaconda copper mine, hence the name.

6. rowlin

rowlin Faux Clay Nation

SoG plays in a fun game that spreads some funky Omaha variations. I don't recall specifically, but vaguely remember one of the variants involving passing cards. Though, we just as easily could have been playing Anaconda.

Some of the ones I remember are Two-Flop Omaha, Tic-Tac-Toe-maha (9-card board), and Five-Card Omaha.

A game that we just developed for my weekly game is Omaha with the fourth hole card dealt face up. It seems to play pretty well - we've been calling it "Oregon".

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  7. pltrgyst

No passing of cards, but a few months ago we started playing Chowaha with four cards dealt to each player. We call it Omachow, or Omachow / 8 for the split game.

You could easily add in the passing of two cards, say after the three flops are dealt, and make it pretty interesting. Possibly too interesting! :wink:

Since I just thought that one up, I'll call it Flying Omachow. We'll try it tomorrow night at my weekly game.

8. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

We played a five card version like Anaconda with a 5 card board after we traded cards.

9. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Well-Known Member
    Supporter

That game brings back a lot of memories. We played it exactly as you detailed. I first played it in my fraternity back in 1969. I introduced it to a home game that played mixed dealer choice about ten years ago and it quickly became a favorite.

Sometimes it is also called Pass The Trash. Great fun.

10. pltrgyst

Yep -- I learned the game in the early sixties, and it was a regular dealer's choice option in Germany and Vietnam during my Army years.

These days, I think more people know it -- or some variant -- as "Pass the Trash" than "Anaconda Hi-Lo".

11. guinness

guinness Degen Gatekeeper
    Lifetime Supporter

We've always refered to it as Mississippi Mud. We just like the sound of that. Pass the Trash has a good hook to it though!

12. pltrgyst

Never heard of that name. Do you have any idea where the name came from? Are the rules exactly the same?

"Mississippi Mud" seems to be a generic term, as well as the name of a dessert, a beer, and a well-known non-fiction book by Edward Humes --

"Mississippi Mud is that purest form of poker, a game in which the cards become irrelevant and the ability to bluff and betray fellow players reaps the greatest reward. The name is synonymous with a certain brand of corruption in the Magnolia State, undisguised and unashamed. By either definition, lying is an art form in Mississippi Mud, morality a fool’s distraction"

I don't know what would constitute "betrayal" in Anaconda, and haven't been able to find a set of rules for Mississippi Mud, so I've ordered the book.

13. pltrgyst

14. pltrgyst

One Web site describes MM as a variant of low hole card wild -- basically seven stud low hole, with the last card up or down at player's option, plus tens wild:

1. Deal two cards down to each player.
    2. Deal one card up to each player.
    3. Normal betting round, with the player with the high hand showing opening.
    4. Deal one card up to each player.
    5. Normal betting round, with the player with the high hand showing opening.
    6. Deal one card up to each player.
    7. Normal betting round, with the player with the high hand showing opening.
    8. Deal one card up to each player.
    9. Normal betting round, with the player with the high hand showing opening.
    10. Deal one down to each player, they may get it up if they want.
    11. Normal betting round, with the player with the high hand showing opening.
    12. Showdown, high hand wins.
    13. Your low hole card is wild for you, as are all cards of the same rank.
    14. Tens are wild. If you get a ten face up you must match the pot or fold.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  15. Lottery Larry

Lottery Larry Well-Known Member

Horsehockey! And this has nothing to do with OPTAH.

16. BigBlue

BigBlue Well-Known Member

Anaconda = "Pass 3-2-1" for us.
    Blinds (WTF?) because we don't do an orbit of each game, so all games have blinds.
    No bets until passing is done. For those that bet when passing, do players that folded still pass?
    Rolling 5 card showdown (Hi-Low). 6432A = nut low (non flush)

Have played 3-5-7 once... years ago... different crowds home game. Is it possible that I won the hand, yet won less than my buddy lost to another player in the same hand?