Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Un-oiling chips

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Care' started by QuiQuog, Mar 2, 2015.

1. QuiQuog

QuiQuog Well-Known Member

I know you can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube, and you can’t unring a bell, but I’m hoping that somebody has some experience with unoiling chips.

I recently bought a set of Avalons and they’re a bit more slippery than I like. The seller hasn’t been seen here in a while so I can’t confirm it, but I think they’ve been oiled because they have a sheen to them and the colors are beautifully saturated. They‘re minty and sharp, but I just prefer them to be unoiled so that they stack better, they’re about as slippery as china clays.

Has anybody ever tried removing the oil from chips before? I was thinking of putting a few in a bag of corn starch or talc to see if it would soak up the oil and dry the chips. Is this crazy?

2. big_alv77

big_alv77 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    MD Mike likes this.
  3. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I have. I washed the chips in warm (not hot) water with Dawn dishwashing detergent and a washcloth. Dawn cuts through grease/oil and is gentle. Rinse well, dry with a towel, put them in a single layer on towels or paper towels and let them continue to dry for at least several hours on each side before putting them back in the trays or case. It works.

MD Mike likes this.
  4. QuiQuog

QuiQuog Well-Known Member

There I go, not using the search function again. Thanks for your help!

5. MD Mike

MD Mike Active Member

I’ve also seen this work many times. In fact, I like to shuffle my Paulsons a lot (nervous tick) and they are dirt magnets so when I wash with warm water and dawn, the chalkiness always comes back.

Some chips it will look like the color faded but it’s really just all the oils leaving the chip. Mineral oil brings the color back.

But I am sure all of you already knew this since this thread is many years old :)

guinness and abby99 like this.