Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Tournament Director: Upgrade to V3 or no.

Discussion in 'Home Game General' started by GenghisKhan, Sep 16, 2015.

1. GenghisKhan

GenghisKhan ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Media:
    Hey poker lovers,

I just reset my laptop to factory settings and need to reinstall TD. I had not upgraded to V3 because V2.whatever was working just fine for me. For those that have had both, is the upgrade to V3 worth it. I don`t mind paying for the upgrade, the software is well worth it and not that expensive, I`m really wondering about the layout and features. Don`t want to go to 3 and regret it I guess. I tried to read the changelog on TD site but it`s just too long and at the end of the day I`d really like some opinions, and like to know if there is anything new in V3 that really makes it a no brainer. What are the biggest improvements.

We are a small group of 10 players, we play 10 tournaments and then have a final game which depending on the points awards extra chips to starting stack. We may move to two tables and 20 players. Just to give an idea of our group size. Our season is starting up again in a month.

Thanks for any opinions.
    (Sorry for my punctuation, i can`t find the question mark since the reset. Gonna have to RTFM lol).

I posted this in TD forums but I dont think it gets that much traffic.

2. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I gotta check it out, I haven't tried v3 yet. I wonder if the custom ChipTalk template is compatible.

3. GenghisKhan

Supporter

Media:
    Actually, before I reset my laptop I was trying the CT layout with version 2.xx I had and couldn't make it work. But I'm certain it was user error, lol.

4. TenPercenter

That reminds me, I think I had to update it for version 2. I think I posted it on their forum.

5. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator

Media:
    I an a Mac user so I no longer use TD. However, I seem to remember that TD director can be downloaded and tested for a while? Right?

6. TenPercenter

Last I checked that is correct. I've had a license since early on, I think Corey gave it to me so I don't even remember how much it costs.

7. Trihonda

Trihonda Well-Known Member

OK, there's another discussion going online about a new app called "Blinds Up", and the pro-no ad version is $10, and it's like someone designed this thing and put everything in it I'd ever want. Customization, league points play, rips players right from your contacts, and allows you to take pics of your actual chips or upload them to display on the screen... super easy to use, and looks amazing. Oh, the backgrounds shown below are custom (I uploaded them to the app)

Many of us have been discussing this app already, and have been playing around with it, and the consensus is that it's the NUTZ!

I personally am using an ipad, and then purchased an APPLE TV receiver ($69), so I can actually "airplay" mirror the app onto my wall mounted TVs, which is the bomb! I control the app from an ipad, and it displays on the TV. Boom!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CHP TD

CHP TD Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    can you use it on a laptop or is it only a phone app?

Cheers

Aussie Geoff

9. GenghisKhan

Supporter

Media:
    Geoff, I use Tournament Director on my Windows laptop. But the Blinds Up is Ipad only. Site says Iphone soon. No mention of Windows or Android.

10. TenPercenter

we're going to try this out next game...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blinds-up/id827327902?mt=8

11. GenghisKhan

Supporter

Media:
    Trihonda, the mirroring of the app to multiple TVs, is that a feature of the Ipad or the Apple TV? I would love that option. I have a 50" on one side of the room that articulates away from the wall and turns 90 degrees so one side of my table is facing it. For the rest facing the other way I'd love to place 1 or 2 smaller TVs on the wall mirroring the tourney program. I have all Windows and Android OS but this might be interesting enough that i'd invest money in new toys.

12. CdnBeerLover

CdnBeerLover ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Chromecast does mirroring for Windows and Android. But since my house is littered with pc's, I tend to hookup a laptop and use RealVNC.

13. GenghisKhan

Supporter

Media:
    Chromecast: If my laptop running the tournament is wired via HDMI into TV A, I can buy a Chromecast dongle, plug it in TV B and cast my entire laptop screen to it? What does TV B need for features? I am guessing as long as Smart TV I'm good? I am heading to my local electronics shop right now to buy a new tv for the living room, might pick up another smaller one for the poker room.

14. GenghisKhan

Supporter

Media:
    Scratch that. Found Chromecast forum, way too much to read, lol. Will wait on the extra poker room tv til I had more time to read up on it. Thx for the info CdnBeerLover.

15. CdnBeerLover

CdnBeerLover ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

If it has an HDMI port, it should work. You also need a wireless network in the house for it to connect to.

How-to for Chromecast
    https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998456?hl=en-CA

How-to for desktop mirroring
    http://allaboutchromecast.com/chrom...cast-to-share-desktop-screen-and-audio-to-tv/
    http://www.howtogeek.com/199565/mir...-computer-to-your-tv-using-google-chromecast/

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  16. CHP TD

CHP TD Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    sad oh well...

17. rakrul

rakrul Well-Known Member

I've used V2 for many years and recently upgraded to V3. For your use, there's no need. There's a bunch of new features that makes it somewhat confusing when you're used to V2. For my game, I did it after reading a post here on CT where he had a barcode scanner for registration and used it with a receipt printer. Hardly a necessity but I'm a nerd, so I wanted to make something similar which required V3.

I'm still not completely used to the V3 interface but Corey has awesome support on his forum so it isn't really a problem. I suggest you DL it and try it, but be sure to take backups first! TD isn't made to have V2 and V3 installed in parallel, so if possible, install V3 on a different PC. Also note that you can't import the V3 results of the tournament in V2 so if it's part of a league, you have to re-create the tournament in V2 if you're sticking with V2 later.

Finally, there's a discount on V3 if you have V2 already, so check that out as well.