Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Tough hand in last night's game

Discussion in 'Cash Game / Ring Game Advice' started by unvmyset, May 2, 2009.

1. unvmyset

unvmyset Well-Known Member

I hosted my .25/.50NLHE cash game last night, six players total. This game has been super-juicy lately, and I've had a ton of fun playing. It's been fairly regular for the last six months, but I expect a slow down over summer as usual. Anyway, on to the hand of the night for me.

Down to five players

Player 1 (button) - Only started playing at Christmas, TAGish player
    Player 2 (SB) - fourth time at my game and has been hit with the deck, huge calling station
    Player 3 (BB) - played with this guy for a couple years, loose, passive
    Hero (UTG)
    Player 5 (CO) - also played with him for a couple years, LAG/donktard

I get dealt :Ah :Ac and raise $3 to $3.50 total (this is a standard raise at my game)
    Player 5 (Geezer) calls $3.50
    Player 1 folds
    Player 2 calls $3.25 (any two will do)
    Player 3 folds

Flop :7d :Kd :Qc Pot $11

Player 2 checks
    Hero bets $5
    Geezer calls $5
    Player 2 folds

Turn :7d :Kd :Qc :8d Pot $21

Hero bets $7
    Geezer calls $7

River :7d :Kd :Qc :8d :Ks Pot $35

Hero checks
    Geezer bets $13

Like I said before, Geezer's a complete donk most of the time, but too unpredictable to ever really know. He has moments of brilliance, followed by some of the stupidest plays I've seen:wink: His range here could be any K, any Q, even any two diamonds. He really over-values 2-pair on a paired board (eg; QT, T8...)
    I really went into the tank on this hand, and tried to get him talking, but he wasn't saying anything. I really, really wanted to call here because of my reads on him. WWYD?

2. StevenH72

StevenH72 Creativity Alliance

bet $7.50 on the flop, bet $18 on the turn, fold river.

3. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

Not talking might suggest to me a queen. That's a tough call even with the read.

4. BIGTIMECRUSHERS

BIGTIMECRUSHERS Well-Known Member

I dont check the river. I bet 7.00 and if I get raised then I know I'm beat.

5. mipevi

mipevi Well-Known Member

Media:
    As played I'm calling.

6. gambler3332

gambler3332 Well-Known Member

I agree - gotta call given the knowledge you have of the player.

7. jtlee

jtlee Well-Known Member

Can you give us your thought process when you played the hand? Those bets were pretty weak. If you know you're going to action, might as well bet bigger preflop, then when that scary-as-hell flop comes you really need to bet bigger. Bet/Overbet the pot, make it obvious that you've got a huge hand, take down the small pot and move on. If you get raised, reraise, he shoves, you fold. It's only a one pair hand that loses most of it's value after the flop (especially a flop like that where a combo draw or pair+draw is likely).

I agree with the others...a blocking bet on the river would have been much better than a check. Because your flop & turn bets were weak and now a check on the river means your scared. The only other way you can turn it around is if you want to represent that you were trapping w/the nuts the whole time and raise him $35 on the river. Don't know your history with the player so don't know if that's the good play. But the likelihood you're going to win at showdown is pretty small.

If you don't want to go broke or if he's already pot committed on this hand, you call for the information. He's got to show first, so if he's got the flush, you muck and tell him you had AK. If he's got the AK, then you muck and tell him AQ. :) Saves you the embarassment of losing with AA to some nasty Jd9d and making your opponent happy.

8. unvmyset

Trust me guys, after the game ended and I thought through this hand, I was steamed at the way I played it! I set myself up to make a tough decision on the end. With the bet on the flop, I was actually hoping to get raised by showing weakness and then re-popping it, FAIL. Villian's call here did indicate to me that he had a piece of the flop, even if only a flush draw.

I hated that diamond on the turn, but the way I played it I think I would have been better off going for a check raise than I was betting the $7. After the villian just called, I thought he had a hand like KT, KJ, or AQ.

River K stunk, and I took some time before checking. I already knew I had played the hand bad, giving him way too easy of a time if he was on the draw or had the K.

9. JoseRijo

JoseRijo Well-Known Member

Like Steven said, I think you should've played this much faster. But how can you fold the river here?

10. unvmyset

To further compound the bad play by me in this hand, I did fold my Aces face up. Villian showed AQ, and I had to do my best to not tilt like a three-legged chair. I guess I deserved to lose this hand, huh?

True story: 10-15 hands later I was dealt Aces again, and went to the flop heads-up with the same guy. This time I played it a lot stronger, with the other hand still fresh. I ended up taking it down on the turn and won a nice pot!

Later in the night we played another big pot, this time I had AJ. I don't remember the details, as I had quite a bit of Crown Royal in me, but the flop came A2A. 2 on the turn and 4 on the river, and I had the lead the whole way, with this guy just calling me down. I made a value bet on the river, and as he was contemplating, I flipped over my Jack. He flips a J too, reaches for chips, and makes the call. I showed the A and he mucked. I have no idea wft he called me, must have thought his kicker was good.

11. SoDamnRed

SoDamnRed Well-Known Member

This. Maybe even more on the flop imo.