Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

The Smallest Poker Set in the World! I have designed it.

Discussion in 'ChipTalk Mall' started by poker.buddy, Aug 19, 2013.

1. poker.buddy

poker.buddy Bronze Sponsor

Hi there everyone.

I am a young inventor and designer and I am about to release my first product onto the market. I wanted to get some opinions on the product first though.

I have developed a compact, travel poker set which I believe is the smallest poker set in the world. It is the same size as a pack of cards but the cards are still normal sized.

"How is that possible?" you might be wondering. Well every card has two circular holes cut through them. This means when the cards are stacked up as a deck there are two tubes through the deck. Inside this space fits two cylindrical chip holders and inside the chip holders are the chips (obviously). As the chips are cut from the same 0.33mm plastic as the cards I am able to fit 108 (i.e. 54 x 2) chips into each pack. In the top of the pack is a flat, rectangular dealer button. On the back of the deck is even the hand values of poker for any newcomers to poker that you might play with. The whole concept of the product is also patent pending.

Now I understand that this is no professional poker set for tournaments but as a casual travel poker set it works brilliantly. With that many poker chips you can have 4, or even 5 at a stretch, people playing with one deck. The problem I have tried to solve with this product is the un-casual nature of poker as a game. When you play poker with friends you normally have to pre-plan it all as, a full poker set is required. Unless you happen to be at the house of a person with a poker set, it is relatively difficult to get a game going.

The POKER BUDDY poker set changes this by making a poker set very compact and easy to carry in your pocket while also being very affordable. It means you don't have to carry around a whole suitcase with you to a friends house or on holiday.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ask me lots about the product and let me know what you think of it (the good and the bad). I have been developing this product for around 9 months now and I feel it is at a point where I can show my work and hopefully release it on the market.

Anyway I have babbled on enough about the poker set. I will just leave some images of the set in the post.

Thanks for your time.

Paul Church.

2. jacko

jacko Well-Known Member

Re: The Smallest Poker Set in the World! I have designed it. Ask me anything!

I can imagine that some people here would rather hack their own arm off with a rusty knife than play with poker chips that are the thickness of a playing card. Also I'm not sure what kind of market you're aiming for. Generally people who are keen enough to carry a poker set around full time will not be satisfied with a travel set with holey cards and paper-thin chips.

3. Mortier

Mortier Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Not a bad idea for the very casual player not for us chiptalkers.

- might be difficult to estimate other players chip count / pot
    you will have to spread all the chips to do this.
    - how do you shuffle these ?:wink:
    -what's the diameter of the chips ?
    -what price would you sell it for ?
    -Can you post pics please.

I would buy one and put it in a frame together with a hammer. (not joking)
    Break glass in case of emergency

4. poker.buddy

Thanks for your input.

The concept isn't to carry around the set full-time but rather to be easy to carry like a normal pack of cards when you intend to play.

This is for the casual player or for people who play with casual players. I understand it's probably not the product for any hardcore poker player but it's not aimed at them.

5. poker.buddy

23mm. The hole in the cards is 25mm. The 2mm difference is to allow room for the chip holders and a bit of space to get them in and out.
    Most likely between $10-$13 including shipping. At least to begin with for the first run (which will have limited edition boxes).
    I need to take some pictures of the new prototype (all the graphics have been completely redesigned) but for now I can post some pictures of the old prototype so you can get the concept.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. tommythecat

tommythecat Well-Known Member

To be honest I think the design and execution are both excellent. I don't see your target market being very big though. I can see this for MAYBE heads up on a plane ride or backseat road trip type games. Any more than two players in close quarters though and you are asking a bit much.

7. poker.buddy

Thank you so much for saying that. I really appreciate it. The design has changed completely now though. Hopefully you will like the current one even better.

It's definitely aimed at the casual player. It can basically be substituted for a normal deck of playing cards but with much more functionality. This means that if you happen to have your deck with you then your able to play a decent game of poker without having to much around finding enough change. Since it also has the hand values on the box it saves having to look them up or write them down for the people that don't know them.

Can you explain your thinking on this? The research I have done suggests the set can accommodate 4 people relatively comfortably.

I'll try and get those new photos up asap for you.

8. tommythecat

tommythecat Well-Known Member

4 people on a small table maybe. I am thinking more along the lines of the size of the chips versus distance between players. To have 4 people playing it would have to be under optimum conditions IMO.

9. Mortier

Premium Supporter

Very impressed with the design and execution so far.

- how will the face of the cards look like ?
    -what is the breakdown of the chips ?
    I see 10 and 20 chips, might not be the best possible breakdown you've got there (I assume these are just prototypes ?)

10. poker.buddy

This was something that took quite a while to figure out. At first I tried shuffling around the usual court card designs. This of course proved fruitless. Instead, I realised that I would have much more freedom if I gave up on the usual design altogether. After all, this is how the best inventors think right? Instead the court cards detail a tragic love story between the jack, queen and king of the four suits. I will certainly upload some pictures for you of these when I take the other pictures later.

Chip breakdown is
    - 25 chips of 100 value
    - 26 chips of 50 value
    - 28 chips of 20 value
    - 29 chips of 10 value.
    But this is definitely something I am happy to get some help on. I think that maybe there are too many 100s and 50s and too less 20s and 10s.

Yes. Everything I have made so far are just homemade prototypes.

11. dennis63

dennis63 Well-Known Member

I'm amazed. When I read the concept, I thought it would be impossible to make this and have it look good. But the cards and chips look really nice.

I could easily see these on sale in a retail store, souvenir shop or pharmacy in the "travel-size" items.

There are lots of playing card collectors, but many of them are magicians and "cardists," who value the deck based on how it handles and shuffles as they practice some amazing techniques. They are not your target market.

12. Mortier

Premium Supporter

that's no good. use this Poker Chips and Poker Chip Advice - ChipTalk.net - ChipTalk Poker Chip Breakdown Calculator or http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/poker-chip-advice/11258-advice-chip-colors-breakdowns-home-games.html

10/20/50/100 values are too close together, you should use something like this 5/25/100/500

13. links_slayer

links_slayer Master of the 3-Putt Par
    Lifetime Supporter

Agreed. 5-25-100-500 can be used for both cash denoms (¢) or tournament denoms.

This is a very neat idea and I applaud your ingenuity.

14. The Rake

The Rake Well-Known Member

Sell it at the Las Vegas Airport. I could see guys playing it on the tray table during the flight, or even in the lounge while awaiting their plane.

15. albie

albie Well-Known Member

a few thoughts.
    Cards need to be 100% plastic or they'll fall apart almost immediately.
    You'll need to include a card or three explaining how to run a poker tournament - rules,starting stacks, blind structure, colouring up etc.
    4 players is the most players you can accommodate given the size & quantity of chips available.
    Denoms are all wrong - 40 x 5, 32 x 25, 40 x 100 would work for a T1000 tournament.
    Perhaps also make a deluxe set with 2 decks and slightly larger chips for up to 8 player?

16. Puggy

Puggy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:

Denoms 5-25-100-500 with good breakdown and all plastic (cards too) and I'm immediately in for one. Cool idea and well executed.

17. poker.buddy

And this is exactly why I came here to ask for some opinions! Thank you.

I have always loved to play poker (and card games in general) casually with friends but never really got into it in any serious sense. So, until now, I have never had to know the ins and outs of chip value breakdown. It's only really the last 9 months that I have been learning about details like this and the history of poker.

So, so far the consensus seems to be the best denominations would be 5, 25, 100, 500. Could you explain why this would be? Right now I am thinking that with only 108 chips in each deck having such large and small denominations might be a problem. I am quite likely to be wrong though so any info would great.

18. poker.buddy

That's an excellent idea. Thank you.

My current marketing and sales strategy is to start with a kickstarter.com project to generate sales and some interest in the product. After that I will start looking for game/toy distributors around the world.

19. poker.buddy

Thank you.

I completely agree. For the small extra cost per pack it will make the product considerably longer lasting.

I had considered this but to add cards into the pack that don't have hole's cut through them is quite troublesome. Instead I have opted to have a small folded leaflet with rules put into the bottom of each pack. This is much cheaper but is just as useful.

Again, I completely agree.

Seems like your not alone on that one. Looks like something I will definitely have to change.

I think I will do sets of 1, 2, 4 and 10 decks. The sets with multiples of decks will most likely come in a special laser cut and engraved, wooden box. Also I am thinking about also selling small boxes of extra chips (with chip holders) for the people who tend to play with more people.

20. Harlequin011

Harlequin011 Sin City Showdown Host

Get yourself a patent ASAP. The marketing options are huge here.

I can see Vegas gift shops selling these.