Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

the (probable) fix for all posts that are "what to do in this hand"

Discussion in 'Home Poker Rules' started by CHP TD, Jan 10, 2015.

1. CHP TD

CHP TD Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    hey all

Lots of people seem to think that friendly games don't need rules!?!?

I am so amazed with this view. How do you settle disputes without rules?

Just about every ruling question has the same answer what do your rules say? Answer - we don't have any. My answer to that is a bit confronting but here it is. Well i hope it hurt to work it out. Brutal? yes, but pain is a good teacher.

So get rules any rules there are plenty out there.

if you have them printed off all you need to do is follow them. Any game, especially friendly games, need them to stay friendly. No rules mean that they are made up on the fly which leads to fights from one person versus another person about their version of rules. that is not friendly. Moreover this leaves the host in a difficult position.

what can rules can do for you! More than u think.

god i have a guy at my games who never announces his bets or all ins and it annoys me no end, anyway mistakes are made by other players because of this. I put in rule 10a "if Ken doesn't announce his bets and mistakes are made by other players they can retrieve their bets. If its not ken and the bet is announced then the chips committed to the pot must remain as per rule 11"

Anyway the day came where ken got upset cause someone was the small blind and called but missed kens raise they took half back and folded." Ken said "you cant do that!" and i said the rules allow it. he read the rules and was amazed his name was mentioned in the rules. anyway rules are important. 2 You can make them do things for you if you write them well. and lastly no one will ever read them BUT when you need them they will be there.

Aussie Geoff

CHP 2014 world champ

2. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

So... You anticipated an issue with Ken, and wrote a rule in advance to handle it. Nobody reads the rules, but you invoked it at the relevant time. They accepted the ruling because you'd printed it out?

Why not just have one rule: whatever you say, goes. That would seem to handle all situations, and you don't have to anticipate everything, or print a bunch of rules. Maybe just a sign to that effect?

If people are fighting over the rules, then it's not a very friendly game, and having an agreed upon (or imposed) rule book - or delegated authority - could help to settle disputes. In my local game, we're there to have fun more than anything. If an issue comes up (which rarely happens), we discuss it, reach a consensus, and move on.

3. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator

Media:
    Jokingly, my friends and I have the "rules committee". This is the people I consult when I want to decide something. If someone proposes something, then the rules committee decides.

4. TexRex

TexRex Well-Known Member

Good grief! Of course you need rules. I've been playing almost 35 years. I've seen several games split up over rules disputes. Each player says "everyone knows this is the rule." Sometimes it ends with "you want to take this outside?" Usually one player doesn't come back, then others follow. Sometimes the game splits with the two groups saying "we don't need them." And shortly thereafter, there is not game at all.

The better your written rules are, the less that is going to happen. There are plenty of rules out there. Find them, write them down, and apply them to keep your game healthy.

5. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator

"You want to take this outside"?? Really?. Good grief. If that phrase was ever uttered at my game, I'd know it's not a game I care to participate in. I suppose that rules could help to keep a "wanna take it outside" animal in their cage, but I prefer not to play with animals in the first place.

At our last game, I remember a hand where it came down to 2 of us still in the pot. One of the guys who had folded showed his cards to the other guy still in. Now clearly, this gives an advantage to my opponent. I'm sure there are rules against this. At the very least, "show one, show all". I could have said something about it or complained, and I'm sure they'd have agreed. But I didn't say anything because, basically, I don't care. It's just not that big of a deal. We're just there to have a good time. If I complained about a thing like this, the game would be less fun for everybody, myself included. We don't play for big enough stakes that we mind losing. It's just a game. Relax and have fun.

I understand what you guys are saying, and don't really disagree with your position on rules. I'm just countering that my local game is different. You wouldn't call it serious poker, and we don't either. I could probably write down our rules... I don't think there's more than two or three in total. We've never had the need for more.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  6. GenghisKhan

GenghisKhan ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Media:
    The Ken rule, everyone knows that rule! Lol.
    I love it. Omg thats funny.

Come on, everyone has that 1 guy who puts in an extra chip or two for a min raise and doesn't peep a word (every single time). At first glance it always looks like he just called, till 2 callers later he says hey guys I raised it.

I get you Geoff.

7. CHP TD

CHP TD Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey all

i thought this may get interesting. Yeah lets face it this whole post is my opinion on rules. I totally expected this thread to have supporters and people who disagree. Both opinions are valid. I love hearing them too. I cant say I know it all and having a sounding board is one of the things i cherish about this site.

We have our set of rule Nazi's at our games too. some like to quote rules that don't exist at my game. That is why they are written. so i can never be accused of making up a rule, on the spot, that is in my favor.

although that may be an opinion... Arrrgghhhhahahahahahahaha Pun intended...

God I'm funny... In my opinion...

Aussie Geoff