Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Teenagers and poker

Discussion in 'Poker Stories and Bad Beats' started by Matthew, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Matthew

Matthew Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Visited friends for New Year and played a 6 person quick tourney New Year's Eve, The other dad and me played with his 17 year old girl, my boy 16, his girl 15 and my girl 14. His youngest girl kept looking at her phone and just called whatever to get out of there, but the rest of us wanted to play. The grand prize was $5 donated by me to the winner.

My 16 year old son went out 5th on having the idiot end of a 4 card straight on the board, so I let him take over my stack and I dealt. He got involved in a had with his sister, AA7 on the flop, she's betting, he raises, she calls. Rags on the turn and river, but same action, she bets, he raises, she calls. He's all in on the river.

I'm thinking they both have an A and who's got the better kicker. Nope - he's got pocket 7s and she's got pocket As. Quads over a boat. She's now the greatest player to ever walk the earth. He was logical about it and put her on an A, but not a boat and definitely not AA. I told him I would have lost all my chips too. She later misread her hand and played a straight she didn't have and lost 95% of her stack to a pair. The other dad got my $5.

All in all a fun game. However, I didn't bring chips with me so we played with dice chips and paper cards. But, it was better than not playing.

2. dennis63

dennis63 Well-Known Member

Wow. No matter what happens, we'll never get them off their phones.

My wife and I went out to dinner at my favorite restaurant in Washington, D.C., a real hidden treasure of a place, with amazing French food and perfect atmosphere. Two people at the next table spent the entire dinner looking at their phones. We reasoned it was possible they were texting each other, rather than talking.

At least your kids were playing.

3. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator

Curious to see how opinions may have changed since this and this thread.

4. Matthew

Matthew Super Moderator

I had to go back and see if I was in those threads. I was in the 2nd - candy bars for prizes for a teen tournament.

Additionally, my 16 year old son played in a family/friends $20 tournament prior to my brother's wedding last summer. Half went to the groom and we played for 3 places for the other half, started with 13 players. My son went out in 4th, but everyone was thrilled to play with him, he engaged in conversation and played well.

5. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator

Media:
    My perspective hasn't changed. At the time of the first post Greg linked to, KingTen was in his midteens and is since either graduated from college or may be a senior this year. One of the best kids, and his dad is a great father. He used to play in his dad's Holden tourneys and win regularly. I think poker can be like tennis, golf, or any other pastime and be a pastime that rounds out a person. I would welcome my 17 year old son to play recreationally any time. It helps that he has a head for math, too.