Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Stage 2 - Design Contest

Discussion in 'GameOnChipCompany.com Offers' started by GameOnChipCompany, Oct 21, 2013.

1. GameOnChipCompany

GameOnChipCompany Gold Sponsor

Media:
    CONTEST RULES:

Eligibility - Participation in the Contest is open to all new and existing ChipTalk members. Limit one design submission per member, per stage.

The Contest will consist of 3 stages using our 39 mm ceramic chip and the following denominations: $1, $5, $25, $100, $500, $1,000 and $5,000.

• Stage 2: Chip Rolling Edge Design– There will be a call for contestant submissions Monday, October 21, 2013. All submissions must be received by Friday, October 25, 2013. All seconded contestant submissions will go onto the voting rounds. A prize will be awarded to the winning contestant Friday, November 1, 2013.

Additionally, any interested ChipTalk members will be able to pre-purchase chip sets (300-chip minimum) of the winning design at a discounted price for a period of 30-days from the announcement of the Contest winner. Funds for all pre-buy orders will be collected at time of order.
    • It is anticipated that pre-buy orders will ship mid December.
    • Being a pre-buy where the orders occur now and the chips ship in a few months, samples are not available.
    • This pre-buy offer is available to all ChipTalk members, regardless of their level of participation in the Contest.
    • Acceptable methods of payment are PayPal, Visa, MC, AMEX, and Discover.

Prizes
    Face Wrap Design (1 prize - 300 custom chips)
    Rolling Edge Design (1 prize - 300 custom chips)
    Overall Chip Design (3 prizes – 1,000, 500, and 300 custom chips)
    Each winner can choose to from the top three overall designs for their chip set.

Full and exclusive rights to design submissions belong to GOCC – By submitting a design to the Contest, contestants are giving the rights to their design to GOCC. The full and exclusive rights of all design submissions will remain the property of GOCC, and may be utilized for any business purpose at the sole discretion of GOCC.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. GameOnChipCompany

Media:
    This is the winning design from Stage 1 so you will want to have a design that goes well with this wrap. Good luck everyone!

[​IMG]

3. QuiQuog

QuiQuog Well-Known Member

I think I'd do something like this with this chip.

[​IMG]

4. ski_ex5

ski_ex5 Well-Known Member

DOH! I'm too slow. :wink: That is EXACTLY what I'd like to do on the rolling edge... IF the edge spots could be accurately aligned.

I especially like the thin line of the base chip color above and below the spots. I did the "face wrap" design with that in mind for the rolling edge.

Well done!

Question for GOCC:
    Now that you're offering aligned edge spots, and knowing that it's difficult to do this with accuracy, how close can you get? I'm a noob, but I've read of a "+/-2 mm industry standard variance". Thanks!

Ski

5. QuiQuog

With the combination of the gap between the edge wrap spots and the edge, the white ring, and the gap between the rolling edge spots and the edge, precise alignment should be less of an issue. I think it would also work as non-aligned. Either way, I didn't take time to line up anything anyway.

Sorry if I stole your idea, it just seemed like an obvious choice. The clean edge spots seemed to go well with the clean wrap spots.

6. links_slayer

links_slayer Master of the 3-Putt Par
    Lifetime Supporter

Maybe (big maybe) for the purple, yellow, orange, and gray chips but aligning the others would be a must IMO.

Very curious to see if anyone is even going to attempt a rolling edge for these now that the obvious choice has already been submitted?

7. ski_ex5

:happy:
    No apologies! "Obvious choice" was the operative phrase! And again, I still think you deserve big credit for staying consistent with the look of the face by not running the edge spot colors to the very top and bottom of the rolling edge, i.e. keeping a thin line of the base color along the entire top and entire bottom of the rolling edge. Great execution!

GOCC, if you haven't already done so, please take this post as a "second" (or "like") for QuiQuog's rolling edge design to be in the competition!

Ski

8. ski_ex5

Agreed, which is why I asked GOCC how accurate they can be with edge spot alignment. Their sample chips are so nice, I'm hoping that they have some new whiz bang equipment that makes it easy to get accurate edge spot alignment.

*I'm* sure going to try. I don't know if I'll succeed, but I'm trying to come up with something unique and different that still complements the "face wrap".

BTW, I love your Dunes homage "Three Putt Poker" inlays!

Ski

9. GameOnChipCompany

Media:
    Hi Ski,
    We are at a 1 mm variance at most

10. ski_ex5

Thanks! That's good to know.

Regardless, I'm still working on a rolling edge design that doesn't need alignment (actually, one that *can't* be aligned), since a design that begs for nice alignment has already been submitted!
    :)

Ski

11. GameOnChipCompany

Media:
    Get those entries in because as of right now, QuiQuog has got the prize in the bag!

12. ski_ex5

I expect mine to post late tonight or tomorrow.

Ski

13. Rush4Rod

Rush4Rod Well-Known Member

I used the shapes of the spots to design the edge. The edge is self-contained and not meant for any alignment with the face wrap.

[​IMG]

14. ski_ex5

Clever! I hadn't thought of that. I like it!

Ski

15. ski_ex5

And here's my take:

SeaSide_Edge_ALL_300dpi.png

No edge spot alignment necessary, desired, or even POSSIBLE! :happy: To those who might complain about the $1 chip having two green spots and only one brown spot... hey, remember that's the Palm Tree chip, and the fronds fan out wider than the trunk! :wink:

I wanted to do some pseudo 3D renderings of the chips with these spots to show the effect of having numbers of spots on the rolling edge that aren't equal to or evenly divisible by the number of spots on the face, but I ran out of time, and need to get some sleep before work tomorrow. :razz:

Anyway, hope you like it!

Ski

16. stocky

stocky Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Nice design. This is a better fit for the chip for me, mainly because the the aligned version feels lacking with the lower denoms.

17. burke3gd

burke3gd Well-Known Member

Seconded!

18. QuiQuog

Nice work! Now aren't you glad I took away the obvious choice?

19. ski_ex5

Thanks. Yeaahhhh... but that #@^^! Rod may have outdone us both! :happy:

I went through many different rolling edge designs for this thing (somewhere around 10 or 12), and I really liked some of them, but didn't feel they were "right" for the chip face. I have a nice backlog of ideas to use on other chips, though. That might not bode well for my wallet!

Ski

20. ski_ex5

I love it! With 12 votes in, it's a three way tie.

The flop's on the table, and the viewing audience thinks it's even money.

Rod and Qui, how many times do you want to run the turn and the river?
    :happy:

Ski