Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

So the deck moves to you....

Discussion in 'Dealer's Choice Games' started by Captn_All_In, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

Your at your buddies house for a friendly game of dealer's choice and the deck finally gets to you...what game do you pick? Is it a straight poker game? Do you pick a variant game? How about a wild card (please no throwing stones)? Do you choose a game that isn't even poker related (i.e. BlackJack, etc.)?

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. 99%evil

99%evil Banned

Omaha pot limit, hi. Getting to be a favorite

3. jojobinks

jojobinks Poker Nerd (and Admin)
    Lifetime Supporter

anaconda, baby!

4. Matthew

Matthew Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I tend to choose 5-Draw with a .25 ante and betting limits $1-$3 on each round.

5. warthog2

warthog2 Member

Legs...Three card guts with a redraw. 6's and 9's are wild.

6. hachkc

hachkc Well-Known Member

Usually Omaha Hi/Lo but lately I've been having an unusually good run with Crazy Pineapple.

7. PocketRocket

PocketRocket Well-Known Member

Usually 7 Stud. Sometimes just for the hell of it, some oddball thing like Spit in the Ocean.

8. sgt21

sgt21 Well-Known Member

I agree 5 card draw

9. hachkc

hachkc Well-Known Member

:grumpy:

10. cpiaaq

cpiaaq Creativity Alliance

When it gets late, and especially if I'm down in chips, a little acey deucey (in between) is in order. Last week we all anted 50c and the winner took $65.

Otherwise my favorites are screw-thy-neighbor, 7-27, 31, lowshit/highshit, Pai Gow.

11. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator

I too like Crazy Pineapple. :)
    O8 just makes my brain hurt. :sorry:

12. Fins

Fins Well-Known Member

Omaha hi/lo no qualifier double flop double bet :)

usually always played w/ progressive betting (i.e. preflop 50¢, flop $1, turn $1.50 & river $2... bet & 3 raise caps, single bet = 1/2)

13. warthog2

warthog2 Member

Knew I'd get the frown from someone:cool: ...I'm a bigger fan of Omaha HiLo...but trash games are entertaining on occasion.

14. MSPatton

MSPatton Well-Known Member

Chicago

First Poker game I learned that I truely understood how to bluff.

Acey/Duecy's a good on for a non-poker game Especially if beer is involved

:wink:

15. VARoadstter

VARoadstter Now just a loudmouth
    Lifetime Supporter

I'd pick something that favors position, like omaha or holdem probably. If you deal stud, you don't really get any "bonus" for being able to choose the game type.

16. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

Great replies guys.

My straight up game would be 5 card stud. Nothing like kickin it old school!

Poker Variant/Trash game for me would be "Cowboys and Indains"

5 players max, hi/lo game. Dealt 5 cards, bet on that hand, 10 cards are laid in 2 rows, 1 row are cowboys (matching cards play into your hand as extra cards [i.e. you have a K and a K comes in the cowboy row and now you have a pair of K's]), the other row are Indians (matching cards are removed from your hand [discarded] and you do not get another card, if an Indian matches a Cowboy, the Cowboy is also removed, but a new cowboy replaces the discarded one)

Betting takes place after 1 Cowboy and Indian are turned over. (6 betting rounds total)

Non Poker game is Screw Your Neighbor, Low card loses, King stops passing, Pairs cancel each other out (meaning that 2 guys with a 4 stay and the one guy with a 5 loses)

or Blackjack

17. w16227

w16227 Well-Known Member

Triple Draw Lowball

a-5 to make it easy on them

18. jmda

jmda Well-Known Member

easy, my favorite game these days - 7 card stud hi/lo

followed by omaha 08, PLO, NLHE, 2 to 7 triple draw and 7 card stud. 5 card stud is fun for a change up.

I used to play a lot of games like 727, what we called scottsman (5 card stud, hole card wild, a pair up you match the pot), mexican sweat (which to us was 7 card stud 7s are wild if you get a 7 up you match the pot), anaconda, 7 card stud buy your card, straight 7 card stud trips to win, night and day baseball, and more.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  19. whitepotatoe

whitepotatoe Well-Known Member

I would call out 5 card draw, either high or 2-7 Kansas City, or omaha high pot limit, or 3 card brag, or mississippi stud.

cpiaaq or jmda,

What is the proper way to play 727? I had heard of it and me an a couple friends were messing around, but not sure if we were playing it right. We were using blinds like in holdem, and had a betting round after the initial cards are dealt. Then we would do all hitting until everyone stuck twice. Then another betting round with bets double what they were on the first round. Is this right? Also, if 1 person has a 26 and another has a 28, the 26 wins because its lower?

What strategy do you use? If I was going to hit, I found myself doing this anytime I was in late position: stick, hit, stick, hit, stick, hit,...

And acey-duecy is the same thing as between the sheets right? Some of my buddies love this game, and we did a 25 cent ante and the pot was finally taken down at $240. $50 of it was mine. :disappoi: Damn K2. :mad:

Since then I have figured out a way to count the cards and give myself a decent edge at this game. Basically its the same as blackjack counting.

20. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator

When I first started playing poker (about 30 years ago), we used to get into those "match the pot" kind of games occasionally. We'd play "In Between" (which sounds like what you guys call acey-duecy or between the sheets). The pot would get huge. A similar game was called "Montana Red Dog". Each person would be dealt five cards, and when it was to them, they could bet any amount up to the size of the pot that they could beat the next card dealt -- in the same suit. (So four aces is the nuts.) Again, the pot could get huge.

Stupid games, right? Except they could be very profitable. Basic strategy should be something like: if you're >50% to win, go all-in. Otherwise, fold. But most people would make a bet in proportion to the strength of their hand, even though the payout was always even money.

The real trick to these games is to be "Mr. Deep Pockets". Once the pot got big, most players couldn't afford to match the pot any more. So the money would just sit there waiting for Mr. $$ to catch a hand and take down the pot. Even if Mr $$ got unlucky on a hand, it didn't matter since nobody else could afford the stakes and the money would just sit there waiting for Mr. $$ to catch another hand and take it down.