Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

So, even been at a card game that was raided?

Discussion in 'Home Poker and the LAW' started by Nexttime, Jul 22, 2008.

?

Do you think the police will ever visit your private game?

1. Yes, they might stop by and could give us a hard time.

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. Yes, they might stop but mostly likely nothing bad would happen.

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. No, they can't do anything to stop us from playing.

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I'm not worried about the cops, I'm worried about the bad guys.

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  5. No Comment.

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Nexttime

Nexttime Well-Known Member

So, even been at a card game that was raided?

Let's hear the story. Many of you already know about the most recent one that happened to me. Over the last 8 years, LEO has visited various private/public card rooms that I was playing at 5 times. I've never been arrested. I've even heard one officer from the vice squad say to everyone at the table after they came in and looked around, "We heard about the game, we decided to stop by. We were looking for guns, drugs, prostitutes. Since we didn't find anything like that, we are leaving and we really don't care if you guys continue to play cards. Have a good night."

So, I have a couple of what I think are somewhat funny tidbits associated with a couple of these visits from LEO.

Anyone want to share theirs?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. bmwguy525

bmwguy525 Faux Clay Nation

In my main home game we play with 3 tables on a regular basis, and probably only 15-20 of those people are regulars. Aside from that we have a constant changing of friends of friends, etc etc. There's been a couple of times when I thought a person was a cop, but nothing happened.

As of the beginning of this year though, the host implemented a mandatory charge for food and drink, because he felt like he wasn't getting tipped enough by the players. I already wasn't crazy about the host's tendencies and the way he ran the game, but the fact that he's making everyone give him money in such a close group of friends for the most part stinks as far as I'm concerned.

Now that it actually is mandatory his game is illegal. I've only been back a few times this year and every time someone has knocked on the outside of the garage door my ears went up! I don't think that game will ever be raided because we live in SoCal and we play small, but it is a thought in my mind now.

3. Pinkie1212

Pinkie1212 Creativity Alliance

One night about 2 am, 9 guys were left playing a cash game after a tournament (I had been knocked out of the tourney earlier and was sleeping). We have 2 police officers who play with us, but were already gone. To set things up; earlier that evening I had to (first and only time) kick out a player who was caught stealing out of the bank, which was on the counter just 5 feet away (I have since locked up the money). So there's a knock on the door and Brandon opens the door; sees a police officer,and promptly closes it with extreme prejudice (we're thinking this guy called the police at first). He makes sure no cash is on the table, wakes me up and re-opens the door. The police officer (who I didn't know) says nothing and shows me a bluff magazine (I'm getting dizzy now). Then he says "this magazine is how I found out where you live" (I am now ready to be arrested). After a few seconds of terror, he goes on to explain that someone had left the back door open and the alarm had gone off. They couldn't get a hold of my manager and found the magazine on the floor with my name and address. The police officers smiled and left. I then went to my store and locked up - THE END

4. guinness

guinness Degen Gatekeeper
    Lifetime Supporter

My home game got invaded by a cop once...but he brought a sweet set of Ritz chips for a big tournament and goes by the name Irish.

On a serious note, I've never been part of a raid but wish I have been...talk about sweet street cred.:cool:

5. bmwguy525

bmwguy525 Faux Clay Nation

Oh and to add on to my story above I deal each and every game I attend and am basically a house dealer along with 2 others. So if the host gets busted I get busted too by the sound of things...so forget that :sorry:

6. weak

weak Well-Known Member
    Supporter

damn, they're looking for the same games i do :mad:

7. ttflyr

ttflyr Well-Known Member

I played a couple times at a 70-80 player tourney at a local truck stop game. The last time I played we were interupted by 4-5 ofiicers who simply entered the playing area and announced that they were looking for someone. They stated the persons name. A few seconds later they were cuffing this guy. They smiled as they left. We all looked at each other puzzled for a few seconds. Next thing you know were back to poker.

8. Matthew

Matthew Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

My family game back in NY got raided by the US Secret Service once. Lucky that a Special Agent with the same last name as me was playing.

Another time in San Diego, we got raided by the US Border Patrol, but again, a Federal Agent with the same last name as me was playing.

9. JessterCPA

JessterCPA Faux Clay Nation

I was playing a game in a Cigar Shop lounge. Probably 10 of us at the table.

All of a sudden, behind me I hear "OK guys. Game's over. I need to see everyone's ID"

I look over my shoulder, and sure enough, it's a Cop. He looks down at me & says "What the F%$# are you looking at?? Show me your damn ID!"

So I quickly cough up my drivers license, as I don;t want to cause a prob, and my wife wasn't all that happy in the first place about the game, so jail would really be a problem.

He holds my ID up, and yells "Hey Tony, I got one!!" to a belch of laughs from the front of the shop. Seems that the shop owner & cop are good friends, and they wanted to have a laugh at the new guy's expense. They told me I was white as a ghost.

I can laugh at it now. :)

Jesse

10. c4r80n

c4r80n Well-Known Member

LMAO! Is your last name Smith or something?
    Why would the secret service be doing petty busts like that in the first place? :)

11. guinness

guinness Degen Gatekeeper
    Lifetime Supporter

Matt's the disappointment in the family...brother is border patrol...brother is secret service...sister is a nurse...moms a teacher...dad is state cop (?)...and he's a field engineering manager....you do the math. Someone is not pulling his weight in helping others!

12. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

If they raid our game, they would have to arrest one of their own..:wink:

13. siNdreAd

siNdreAd Well-Known Member

A++ to this thread.