Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

WTB/WTT Small Empress Star or Aurora Star Tournament Set

Tournament Set

1. Sprinsd10

Sprinsd10 Well-Known Member

I agree, people are just fishing to see what they could get. I love the ES tournament set and wanted to see if I could get any reasonable offers. So far no ES offers only AS highball offers. I think I need to wait for some sets to hit the classifieds to determine what they are truly worth.

2. Ronoh

Ronoh Well-Known Member
    Supporter

That’s really not surprising at all. If the numbers are correct there are 30,000 ES primary tournament chips and 40-50 people were involved in the buy. Simple division suggests there aren’t hoarders out there holding on to big sets of these, rather people have the sets they want and have no interest in selling.

If what I’ve heard is correct sales were rare even within the group buy members, with WTBs posted for 3-4x cost and getting no takers because to sell would be breaking up a set to do so.

3. SixSpeedFury

SixSpeedFury Well-Known Member

I'd venture to say you'd have to wait before the stigma behind them are gone.

4. Sevendeuce_offsuit

Sevendeuce_offsuit ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

The Star sets are taking over the classifieds on PCF now. Have fun though...they are being auctioned off.

detroitdad likes this.
  5. Chicken Rob

Chicken Rob Poker sorry.
    Lifetime Supporter

Now we know who the people who just got in on this to make money off the rest of us.

detroitdad likes this.
  6. detroitdad

detroitdad Well-Known Member

only if we buy from them

Sprinsd10 likes this.
  7. Chicken Rob

Chicken Rob Poker sorry.
    Lifetime Supporter

The demand seems to be there.

Unfortunately.

8. ManAmongKids

ManAmongKids Well-Known Member

Haha someone posted a 400 set for 2800. the thread got closed, this had got to be some serious shit storms from the GB members.

9. Sprinsd10

I think this thread is still open, however, it is turning into people arguing about the GB again. There are a lot of strong feelings around these chips...

10. ManAmongKids

hahaha i just got a PM from a PCF member telling me the original asking was $15/chip.

Sprinsd10 likes this.
  11. bentax1978

bentax1978 Well-Known Member

I saw it almost as soon it was posted and when I saw it the price was $3000 for 400 chips. I’m not saying it couldn’t have been $6000 in those couple minutes before I saw it, but you might want to confirm the math from your PM source.

12. ManAmongKids

$3000/6000 honestly there’s little difference imo. I don’t know why someone would lie about the OP price. Said he saw it the moment it was posted

Maybe a misclick?

13. bentax1978

I’m not saying he lied, perhaps the original ad was for 800 chips and was changed to 3000/400 right after it was posted? Or maybe it was 6000 for a couple minutes. I have no idea.

Like you said, it doesn’t really matter.

14. KingMedicine

KingMedicine Well-Known Member

Ya know, I was annoyed by everything but nothing was a deal breaker.... Good for them for making it work, but now seeing 4-5 different sets coming up for crazy prices, I really don't wanna be on PCF anymore.....

Mackd and ManAmongKids like this.
  15. ManAmongKids

So you’re saying that you don’t want to be apart of a “community” that decides who can and can not make 3-10x their investment based on absolutely nothing besides perceived friendships behind anonymous usernames? Or if not making $, they get to possess an asset worth $$$ to a bunch of suckers.

SixSpeedFury and detroitdad like this.
  16. Sprinsd10

I think it would have gone a long way if a few sets were purchased by PCF and offered to the community at or near GB cost. Didn’t have to be a ton of chips, a few small sets of each chip. It would have shown the PCF community they were not forgotten.

These chips will cause trouble and arguments for the rest of time.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    detroitdad likes this.
  17. bentax1978

Honestly, would that really have changed the perception of the vast majority of people who have issues with the purchase itself? And who was going to front the 5-10k to purchase these half dozen sets, and were they just SOL is the whole thing went south before the chips were delivered?

I do agree with you that the chips are controversial (to some) at the moment, and to some they might remain that way for a while. For a subset of those people perhaps it will truly be until the end of time. It would be unfortunate if that’s the case (IMO), but I’m not going to sit here and pass judgement how other people feel about this. Everyone is entitled to their POV on it, even if I disagree with much of what’s being said.

18. Ronoh

Ronoh Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Maybe I’ve missed something... I’ve seen four sets come up for sale. One is auction form starting at less than his cost, two were auction starting at $3/chip which a) is nowhere near crazy and b) the seller cancelled anyways. And those three listings are by two very highly respected members.
    You keep using blanket statements like this suggesting everyone involved are assholes who are out to prey on the masses. Do you believe that?

gopherblue likes this.
  19. ManAmongKids

Nope, I believe that the person who decided who’s who is the main culprit and setup a divide by his idiocy. A few rotten apples of course mixed in there.

Sprinsd10 likes this.
  20. Ronoh

Ronoh Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Thanks for the clarification, your posts don’t come off that way.

I strongly doubt the chipping community is going to crumble, but let’s say it does. If that happened would it really be the fault of one person (or two, or three) who drew a line that had to be drawn? Or the fault of those who couldn’t handle exclusion and lit fires until the world burned? That’s not meant to be in defense of anyone, I’m just again pointing out you guys are angry at a number of people you could count on one hand and have fingers left over.

gopherblue and bentax1978 like this.