Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

WTB/WTT Small Empress Star or Aurora Star Tournament Set

Tournament Set

1. Sprinsd10

Sprinsd10 Well-Known Member

2. detroitdad

detroitdad Well-Known Member

going rate was about 1- 1.50 per.

Good luck

Mackd likes this.
  3. Sprinsd10

This was the group buy rate correct? Not the after market (I’m not sure one really exist).....

detroitdad likes this.
  4. detroitdad

From what I was told, yes. This was the group buy rate.

5. Mackd

Mackd Member

And I assume that is what the honest souls will sell them for when they decide to let them go. Because everything I have read talked about how it was not a way to profit off the poor individual "have nots." Never mind that the ones that have been sold have been marked up drastically from what was originally paid. That is just "market pricing," though, not flipping for big profit. Just ask them...

SixSpeedFury likes this.
  6. Sprinsd10

You just never know. Maybe someone will take pity and give me an amazing deal. Only takes 1 caring person.....

detroitdad likes this.
  7. Chicken Rob

Chicken Rob Poker sorry.
    Lifetime Supporter

I’ll take the under on 1 caring person willing to sell at original cost.

SixSpeedFury, Mackd and Sprinsd10 like this.
  8. Sprinsd10

9. Sprinsd10

I think your right. All offers have been about 5x cost.

Chicken Rob likes this.
  10. detroitdad

Probably the guys that were hating on the flippers

SixSpeedFury and Mackd like this.
  11. Sprinsd10

I think it will probably be best to wait for some large sets to hit the classifieds to see what they are worth. Nearly 10 Bucks a chip for hotstamps seems pricey....

12. Mackd

Mackd Member

They were all so sad, though. They felt really bad not everyone could be included. They love the chipping community. They said chip flipping was terrible too!! I can't believe any of them would try bending people over like that. I'm shocked I tell you...shocked!!

Mac128k likes this.
  13. DarPodo

DarPodo Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried contacting Paulson with the thought that, “oh hey look you made these for the home market. Can you make more?”

14. detroitdad

There is a bunch of good people that did participate in the group buy and didn't act like assholes. Doing this could possibly just cause them problems. I'm ready to move on from it to be honest.

15. bentax1978

bentax1978 Well-Known Member

Did anyone actually offer to sell you chips at $10/each? If they did, I imagine it's quite likely they didn't really have a genuine interest in selling and were just throwing a number out there that they'd be willing to unload a set they didn't really want to part with. I'd personally be happy to add to my sets today if I could buy them at 2x the original price. I'd likely add to my sets at 3x the original cost depending on the chip. So with that in mind, I just don't see a scenario where I'd be looking to sell for less than the amount I'd be willing to buy chips at to add to my sets. It's not a matter of flipping or not flipping, it's simply that the price point at which I'd be willing to part with my chips is significantly higher than the price point at which I originally bought them.

16. liftapint

liftapint Lifetime Supporter
    Lifetime Supporter

I have been buying these chips at 3-4x original price too. I'm looking for some ES tournament chips, and even 3-4x original price doesn't seem to shake any loose! But I certainly wouldn't pay 10x, if that's seriously what's been offered to you!

17. detroitdad

Makes sense. Which makes it suck even a little bit more for the chippers that were excluded from the rock bottom prices.

Mackd likes this.
  18. bentax1978

I don't disagree with you, I was just pointing out why I think it's extremely unlikely that owners of these chips would be willing to sell them anywhere near their original cost given that the demand is significantly higher than the supply at prices that most people would deem as "fair".

19. ManAmongKids

ManAmongKids Well-Known Member

I dont think theres a great solution here.

Lets say Chipper X hates Paulsons, only likes TRKs. He gets invited into the GB to buy brand new Paulsons at the manufacturing price with some very epic spot designs. Who is ever going to say no to that? An overwhelming minority would be my guess.

The demand currently is at the highest it will probably ever be, Chipper X is probably responding to all these WTB ads with $10/chip waiting for someone to bite. Maybe in a few weeks he'll go down to $8-9/chip and so on and so forth.

This isnt flipping persay, but it is furthering our point of the haves and have nots in the community

detroitdad likes this.
  20. bentax1978

I'd agree with you for the most part. There obviously were some who did turn down the opportunity, for a variety of different reasons (some didn't like the design, didn't like the risk, didn't like the circumstances of why they were given an opportunity to buy). But I agree that most people, given the opportunity, would buy the chips even if they weren't totally into Paulsons.

Taking myself as an example, I didn't buy any ES cash or ES primary tournament chips (aside from a sample set of each) despite having the option to do so. I wasn't crazy about the design of the former, and didn't really need the latter. Combined with the unknowns and perceived monetary risks at the time, I choose to pass on both. Fast forward to the AS sets, both of which I personally prefer to the ES sets, I decided to buy large sets of both. I liked the design, I felt the risk was a little less the second time around.

Where they people within the GB that bought chips solely to resell, who had no intention/desire to ever use them. I'd venture to say at least one. Do I think the vast majority of people bought chips they didn't want or intend to use just to sell them at inflated prices down the road? I actually don't. I think if the demand is such that potential buyers start making crazy high offers for the chips, you'll likely see some people selling chips who otherwise didn't initially intend to. I don't have an issue with that. If someone offered me $10/chip for mine, I'd have a hell of a time saying no despite the fact that I don't need/want to sell them.