Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Site Designation

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by ranger764, Dec 2, 2014.

1. ranger764

ranger764 Well-Known Member

So just today for the first time I was unable to access the site from work as it came up as a gambling site. The other forum always came up that way, so I was never able to access it from work, but never had a problem with chiptalk. Is that some that changed here at chiptalk, or a designation change by whatever software my company uses to restrict website access? It had a spot to submit a request to reconsider the designation of the site, but I didn't see a better category and I was sure who reviewed those requests, if it was just an outside company or actually went to our IT, so I didn't submit it.

2. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

It would not be anything that changed at chiptalk. It would only be an improvement in the blacklist, or someone that reported it so that it was added.

It also could be that someone in the security department saw a pattern and decided to blacklist it manually. At my company, the previous security director told me flat out that he used to sit there when he had nothing to do and would watch what people were visiting.

3. brains613

brains613 Well-Known Member
    Supporter

This is your own company's Web Traffic Filter. Has nothing to do with CT. That submission form DOES go to your IT dept. If you're an employee in good standing, it might be worth a trip or a quick email to IT to ask them to reclassify the site. (Especially if they allow social networking... Pretty easy to make the comparison.)

4. TenPercenter

try it again. I found that someone had submitted ChipTalk as "malicious" and I worked on getting it re-evaluated and is now being listed as safe. I've gotten it done at McAfee and Symantec so far, and I'm sure they feed other web filtering vendors.

5. TenPercenter

Our block at work disappeared immediately when I got notification that the Malicious designation was removed. We use Mcafee web filtering.

6. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

I use websense at my company and its categorized as "Hobbies" from them.

7. TenPercenter

Sounds benign. And its not blocked?

8. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

nope! but then again, I define what categories we block and its only like 5 - drugs/illegal, hate speech, gambling, hacking and adult. Hobbies are just fine.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014