Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

ShuffleTech Shuffler - Install and Mini Review

Discussion in 'Poker Table Forum' started by Guma, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Guma

Guma Well-Known Member

This is my personal review of the ShuffleTech Shuffler that will soon be available to everyone. Please bear in mind that I had a Beta version of the shuffler and did NOT have the actual model that is being produced for distribution. The differences being the noise factor will be reduced and the light bar that was being affected by light coming in through the clear door on top was adjusted so there is no problem there anymore.

First looks, it is appealing. Outer shell is made of plastic which seems like it could stand up to some abuse. It actually stood up pretty well to an accidental 2 foot drop on to concrete. No noticeable damage! The flush mounting plate is made of metal however and sits nicely on top of the unit.

Here is a picture of everything that comes with the shuffler.

Shuffler
    Power Adaptor
    Flush Mount Kit (will be explained in step by step pictures)

[​IMG]

Drawer on the side if you choose to have the cards exit the bottom of the shuffler. There is a very small switch on the bottom of the unit. I had to use a tweaker to get at it.

[​IMG]

Top of unit with door open

[​IMG]

Flush Mount Plate sitting on the shuffler

[​IMG]

The Flush Mount Kit left a lot to be desired for me. The little brass tabs you see below are not the greatest thing I have seen. The good thing is that once the install is complete you will not see these at all, unless you are crawling around looking for them.

[​IMG]

Brass tabs installed

[​IMG]

Next I cut the hole in the table surface. Yeah, yeah I have too many line on there. I screwed up and had to redo them and my dog had graciously chewed up my big eraser.

[​IMG]

The cuts to the left and right, must be cut at a 45 degree angle to allow the shuffler to slide all the way up flush to the mounting plate. Not happy about this, but it is not that difficult either. I have a way in my head that if ShuffleTech made the mounting plate for the shuffler to slide up into a competed housing my job would be much easier.

[​IMG]

Mounting Plate test fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added some foam to make sure that the shuffler would slide all the way to the top and be even with the mounting plate. It was not, and I had to do some sanding underneath.

[​IMG]

Now here is my biggest complaint about the hardware that came with the shuffler. The instructions for mounting the flush mount kit and the hardware are for mounting the kit to a single sheet of plywood. All the tables I build are 2 sheets of plywood thick, thus the turnbuckles that come with the unit were too long. It was easy enough to run to Ace pick up two new turnbuckles and corresponding screws for the lower bracket. The turnbuckle on the left is the one that came with the shuffler and the other two are the ones I bought. About 1/2” shorter.

[​IMG]

Completed support bar and turnbuckles to hold the shuffler in place.

[​IMG]

Here is what the mounting plate looks like mounted to a completed table.

[​IMG]

Underside of the table with the two hooks screwed in place that the turnbuckles will hook to. Yes I cleaned up the cuts before I finished up with the table

[​IMG]

Shuffler in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don’t mean to sound so negative, but IMO the flush mount kit needs some work or some options for different applications. The unit looks great when it is installed in the table, and caught a few eyes of people that saw the table.

As far as the shuffler itself, it works great! Again I had the BETA version so it was a little loud for my taste, but I would think it would become negligible when involved in a hand, TV or stereo in the background, etc. The customer I installed the unit for had used the unit for a week before approving it to go into his table. All of his friends loved it and he ordered 3 more shufflers.

I will have one installed in one of my personal tables for use in my games!

2. MarkC79

MarkC79 Well-Known Member

GREAT review!

Couple of questions:

Can you get the flush mount kit to sit flush with the playing surface by trimming away foam on the table? Is yours resting on the table padding?

Can you explain a little more about the need to do a 45 degree angle in some of the cuts?

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Well-Known Member

Very nice review! Thanks!

Great table!

What are your thoughts on adding this shuffler to an existing table? Doable without ruining the existing cloth?

4. Guma

Guma Well-Known Member

You could do that, mine is resting on top of the foam but I did tighten it down a some more later on in the install so that it compressed the foam a little more.

The reason you have to do the 45 degree cut is here... See the top of the shuffler on the left and right side, it slopes off at a 45 degree angle before it goes straight down.
    [​IMG]

See the small lip around the very top of the shuffler, this is where the mounting plate sits to make the unit flush. When you put the mounting plate on top of the unit, the wood has to be cut away so the shuffler can slide all the way up into the table and sit flush to he mounting plate on the table surface.

5. Guma

Guma Well-Known Member

Yes, but take your time, and definitely have a brand new razor blade to do it. The instructions have a template to use for installing the shuffler. You could use this to cut away the cloth, then the foam, and lastly the wood. It is doable, but be careful and take your time, is my advice!

Thanks for the compliments on the table!

6. ontheuptick

ontheuptick Well-Known Member

Do you know the cost of the shuffler, when it gets released?

7. Guma

Guma Well-Known Member

As distributors we are directed to charge $479.95 for the shuffler and $99.95 for the flush mount kit.

8. Freelancer72

Freelancer72 Well-Known Member

not the best design for mounting into a table.... but i guess being plastic on the outside is why it's done that way. Shufflemaster's shufflers have a wide lip/rim on the tops of their units, as if that shuffletech mounting plate was part of the top of the unit. the shufflers slide into the table from the top, and the lip is what keeps it from falling through as it sits on the mounting brackets below it. it's a breeze to pull one out or put one into a table in that respect.

9. imperial10

imperial10 Creativity Alliance

Thanks for the review, very very informative.

I think for me the hardest part about the mounting would be cutting the hole for which it fits in. I hate that you have to cut a 45 degree angle. "WHY SHUFFLE TECH, WHY???"

The actual mounting seems second nature.

What tools did you use for cutting(felt & table)?

Oh and how much time did it take for you to do all of this?

If I do purchase this I'll remember to measure 2....hundred times and cut 5 times.

10. Guma

Guma Well-Known Member

Used a jigsaw for cutting the holes in the plywood. Just set the base to 45 degree angle when cutting the sides. Also remember to drill in at a 45 degree angle with your 1/4" drill bit for your hole starters. I forgot this on my practice piece..oops! To cut the foam and felt away just use a razor blade.

Cut the foam completely away, and cut the felt like a big "X" corner to corner, fold it underneath and staple in place.

The time it took is hard to say, since there were other things to be done to the table after cutting the hole for the shuffler. But I would say now I could probably do this in an hour.

11. imperial10

imperial10 Creativity Alliance

^^ COOL THANKS GUMA ^^

I'll keep this in mind if I do get a shuffler. The price is the only questionable factor right now. I can't justify $600+ Hopefully when the technology gets old and numerous copy cats come around the price will go down.

12. Guma

Guma Well-Known Member

Let me see if I can put this into words... I have a great idea for mounting the flush mount kit.

Lets start with the small bolts and brass strips holding it down to the table. Make these bolts large and longer. 5/16" in diamter, and 3/4" long. On the template used to make the hole for the shuffler have it marked where you will drill through the plywood for the bolts to drop into the plywood. Drill the 5/16" holes from the top, now flip over the plywood and drill the hole to a larger diameter, but only about 5/16" deep. Think countersunk here. With the bolts coming through the ply take a washer and nut and tighten down the flush mount plate. Easy peesy!

Now for mounting the shuffler to the table. See this picture...
    [​IMG]

Instead of making the cuts in the plywood for all these angles, on the underside of the mounting plate recreate all these angles with metal so the shuffler just slides up into a little housing. I drew up a cutaway of what I am trying to explain. Picture the mounting plate cut in half from left to right and you are looking at it at eye level.

[​IMG]

Now you just cut a rectanlge, with no angles, in the wood drop in the mounting plate, bolt it down from underneath the table. Slide the shuffler up into the housing and it locks in place with the small tabs and boom you are done.

What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  13. EmptyPocs

EmptyPocs all chips, no cash
    Lifetime Supporter

I see it has a power adapter, but does it accomodate batteries if you have no handy power source?

And if not, is the adapter output DC or AC?

14. Guma

Guma Well-Known Member

Yes it does take batteries, 4 C cell I believe, let me double check that. The power adapter is DC.

edit: I did not find the battery requirements, but I do see that ShuffleTech will ship the power adapter that your region requires. i.e. 220v adapter for Europe.

15. mrcashflow

mrcashflow Well-Known Member

A little off topic but how hard is this machine on the cards over time?

16. Guma

Guma Well-Known Member

Ehh that will have to be answered over time, but IMO it would not be hard on them at all. No worse than say SSC. The little wheels inside that move the cards around have 2 rubber o-rings on them that grabs the cards and slings them from one side to the other. So the weight sitting on these wheels and o-rings is only the weight of the full deck of cards, and that only last for a second once it starts shuffling.

I did experiene a few jams when I was playing around with it. But it did not bend or manipulate the cards in any way that was detrimental to them. The jams were easily fixed by just opening the shuffler and sliding the cards to the sides and restarting the shuffling process.

The jams were due to light hitting the light bar and throwing it off making it think there were no cards in place when there were. This has been fixed in the newer versions to my understanding.

17. EmptyPocs

Lifetime Supporter

>>edit: I did not find the battery requirements
    but is does take batteries (?) I was not sure if you are saying it has no battery compartment.

Even if it doesnt, since the input is DC you could probably rig one up under the table.

18. Guma

Guma Well-Known Member

Yes it does take batteries, I do know that for sure.

19. EmptyPocs

Lifetime Supporter

this is a must for anyones holiday wish list :)

20. imthatguy

imthatguy Lifetimer/Former Mod
    Lifetime Supporter

You know, for $479 this isn't such a bad deal. I wish that I was having a new table built so I could pick one up.