Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Shuffle ahead or shuffle behind? (Or, how I became clinically schizophrenic)

Discussion in 'Home Game General' started by bergs, Jan 18, 2012.

1. bergs

bergs The Don Rickles of Chiptalk
    Lifetime Supporter

Does your game shuffle ahead and cut behind, or are you a bunch of America-hating communist sadistic bastards?

I drew a picture to more easily identiy the shuffle ahead versus shuffle behind processes....

Attached Files:

2. noelsarchs

noelsarchs CCGTCC Member

Shuffle behind is like watching a union road crew at work....one person doing the work, two to watch the decks, one to direct which way the deck is going vs who cuts next, a supervisor and two traffic cops.

3. Krafticus

Krafticus Well-Known Member
    Premium Supporter

whatever. Shuffle behind is much, MUCH more efficient. Once you finish dealing, you scoop the cards. Shuffle them up, and give them to the current dealer to cut.

Shuffle ahead is a pain, as I am too busy shuffling the cards to post my blinds. Then, once I am done, I don't know which way to pass the cards. They go left, then right, then back to the center... UGH !!!

Behind is better.

Mark

tommythecat likes this.
  4. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    In order of preference:

1. Dedicated Dealer.

2. Shuffle behind, aka clean up your own mess. After the hand, dealer pulls in the rest of the cards (already has most of them anyway). Shuffle. Pass deck to the left for the cut. After the hand is over, the cutter pass the deck to the left for the next deal. Easy peasy.

3. Figure out who deals the next hand. (Yeah, I know, it's the new SB, which is usually not posted when I'm looking for it.) As the SB, I'm trying to collect the cards, post my blind, protect my hole cards, and avoid the cards going past me during the deal. By contrast, in shuffle behind, I've already got the cards gathered and have started shuffling by the time the cards go past me and are dealt to me, and I don't have a blind taking up room in my real estate.

Where's the poll?

tommythecat likes this.
  5. ranger764

ranger764 Well-Known Member

We shuffle ahead and cut behind. Never really gave it much thought on doing it any other way, but we may have to experiment. Maybe everyone can have their own deck to shuffle and deal. :wink:

6. EmptyPocs

EmptyPocs all chips, no cash
    Lifetime Supporter

3 decks, last dealer shuffles and cuts his own (mortal sin, big deal) passes deck to BB (New Dealer is already dealing and SB has one ready to go at that point).
    dont leave the machine or youR hand is mucked :wink:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  7. DrStrange

DrStrange Creativity Alliance
    Supporter

We shuffle behind at every game I play -=- DrStrange

tommythecat likes this.
  8. Payback

Payback Well-Known Member

Shuffle behind ftw. I play at a game that shuttles ahead and get confused all the time.

tommythecat likes this.
  9. jbutler16

jbutler16 Old Man Sweater

yeah shuffle behind is way better than ahead. with shuffle ahead you inevitably get a couple of f*cking morons every orbit who don't realize it's their turn to shuffle and take forever to gather up the cards that some other f*cking moron just threw down on the table after their shuffle was over. the benefit is the one alluded to by abby: you're compelled to clean up your own mess. it makes the game go much faster.

tommythecat likes this.
  10. albie

albie Well-Known Member

^^^ is an America-hating communist sadistic bastard

11. jbutler16

jbutler16 Old Man Sweater

lol a shock to exactly no one.

12. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator

Media:
    In this case he's a 100% right commie sadistic bastard, and I am with him on this one. (read op carefully before turning this political :) )

Plus, the whole purpose of the exercise (besides having shuffled cards to move the game along), is to prevent cheating or stacking the deck. Shuffling behind (shuffle, cut, deal) all done by different people does that better, IMO.

tommythecat likes this.
  13. MikesDad

MikesDad ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Shuffle Behind FTW.

While the current hand is being played you can cut the cards from the previous dealer and slide them to the SB who will deal next hand. Then when the hand is over, just shuffle your own mess.

My problem with shuffle ahead is trying to hand the cards over top of the arms of the guy trying to deal to the SB who's trying to post his blind and get his hand.... too many arms/hands in too small a space.

Not that anyone in a home game would try to cheat, but with shuffle behind, two players who are NOT the dealer are shuffling/dealing. With shuffle ahead, the guy who will be dealing is also shuffling

Color me a commie

-- Dennis

tommythecat likes this.
  14. PhilTheThrill14

PhilTheThrill14 Well-Known Member

Since the current dealer has to hand the cards to the next dealer - he might as well gather them all and shuffle them first. Why hand the guy half a deck? Shuffling behind is clearly the best method.

tommythecat likes this.
  15. Headstone

Headstone Well-Known Member

We use two decks... and shuffle behind.

Dealer scoops the cards at the end of the hand and shuffles them. Then hands them to the small blind.

On your deal, you cut the cards and go.

Way faster than a dedicated dealer & fouled decks get fixed up quicker as well.

tommythecat likes this.
  16. Honais

Honais ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Def shuffle behind. Like keeping the cards nice during the deal and before my shuffle instead of being shoved or thrown a pile of cards. :happy:

tommythecat likes this.
  17. Mac128k

Mac128k Creativity Alliance

Two decks. BB shuffles while the dealer deals after cutting to his right. After the hand, the dealer scoops and passes mess to next BB. Current BB passes shuffled deck to new dealer.

I'm not sure if that is front back or center but I'm sure there is a better way :)

18. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie

Albums:
    Seems like this should be called shuffle way ahead until the game becomes 3-handed, when it morphs into shuffle behind. :wink:

Trihonda likes this.
  19. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator

@bergs to this day I still pull this gem out when I run into a self deal discussion on the merits of shuffle behind vs shuffle ahead... it shuts down the dissenters every time. thanks!