Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Selecting Tournaments

Discussion in 'Poker Strategy General' started by Mojo1312, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Mojo1312

Mojo1312 Well-Known Member

In a vain attempt to breath some life into the bones of this site, which (judging by their actions) certain high placed members wish to see dead.

How do you choose which tournaments to play in?

2. Seeking Alpha Social Club

Seeking Alpha Social Club Well-Known Member

It's a bit hit and miss, but I generally look for deep stack tournaments with longer blinds. In Vegas, I used to play in Bally's and Harrah's tourneys, but those IMO aren't much better than playing online for free. 5k or 8k starting stacks combined with quick blinds tend to result in a lot of early all-ins for no rhyme or reason.

Then I played in Auria's med/deep stack tourney. Worked much better for me because it allows more time to vary my play. And the larger buy ins seemed to reduce the number of early all ins. So here's how I choose:

Blinds >= 30 minutes
    Starting stack >= 15k

3. ManAmongKids

ManAmongKids Well-Known Member

I usually look for tournaments with brand new Paulson chips, probably a home game of some members here or there

4. upNdown

upNdown Active Member

Similar to SAS, I look for a MTT with deep stacks and long blinds - ideally 30 minutes or more - something that will take 10 hours to win. And for a 25/50 format, I prefer a stack over 20K. Obviously reasonable increases are preferred, but most of the time that isn't a problem, although sometimes it will be reasonable all day, and then at the and when it matters most, they'll keep doubling - that's no good.
    I don't really care about re-entries one way or the other, but I hate add-ons. My comfort zone for buy-in is $50-$250, but these $50 with multiple $50 add-ons drive me insane. Just charge me the full amount in the beginning and be done with it!
    I play the NH cardrooms and occasionally Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. My favorite structure is the Saturday at 1:00 at Hampton Falls - 30k stacks, 30 minute blinds, $90 buy in, no re-entries or addons.

5. Mojo1312

Mojo1312 Well-Known Member

Checked out Hampton Falls online. Like the looks of the atmosphere. Are card rooms legal in N.H.?

6. upNdown

upNdown Active Member

Yeah, it's a great place to play.
    NH has a charitible exemption law which allows the cardrooms to operate by giving something like 30% of its profits to charity.