Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Rules on running an all-in twice?

Discussion in 'Cash Game / Ring Game Advice' started by michael000, May 1, 2007.

1. michael000

michael000 Well-Known Member

After seeing this a couple times on High Stakes Poker i started to get curious on what is typical way of doing this or if there are any "official" rules on it.

From what i'm understanding the option of running it once or twice goes to the person making the bet (either putting himself all in or his opponent all in) correct?

The other question is whether or not you burn all the normal cards again on the second run.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. Wedge Rock

Wedge Rock Well-Known Member

Running it twice is an agreement between players in the pot, so there are no hard and fast rules. Generally, though, it occurs after the flop and generally, you will burn-turn-burn-river and then do it again (burn-turn-burn-river). Either player can offer it, but both (all) must accept it. Its also done after the betting is complete (i.e. all but one player is all in). Its usually between two players, but there's no reason it couldn't be between three players. Also, you can choose to run it three times, or even more, only limited by the number of cards left in the deck.

Win both hands, you scoop. Otherwise the pot is split.

I've also seen it where the person way out in front offers to give the behind player some money back (generally somewhere around that persons' percentage of sucking out) and then there is no more action.

3. AceDeuceNoUse

AceDeuceNoUse Well-Known Member

IIRC, didn't Sam Farha do such a thing with Matusow on an episode of HSP? There was an all-in where Sammy offered to just play for what was in the middle (the remainder of their chips had not been pushed into the pot yet). I remember there being a lot of back-and-forth discussion, and confusion amongst the table, Mike having a look of indigestion on his face, and I *think* it ended up being a split...? (sorry if this is a threadjack)

4. michael000

Gotcha, so either player can offer and it's run twice (or whatever) as long as all parties accept. Glad i asked since i thought only one person could offer. Thanks for the info, feel comfortable adding this to our weekly cash game now.

5. Wedge Rock

That's sounds like an agreement to check-it-down. I don't recall that episode, but its poor ettiquette, unless you are heads up.

I recall Sam and Eli agreed to chop what's in the middle before they even saw a flop... I think that was season 3.

6. Wedge Rock

Correct.

Usually, the guy who is behind offers, because he wants some money back when he realizes he is a huge dog, but either can do it. I've seen the guy in the lead offer it too, because he wants some security against a suck out.

I'd take this all day if it was an option on Poker Stars (a.k.a. Suckout Stars)...

7. michael000

Same as Wedge on this one i don't remember the Matusow hand but i do remember the Farha - Eli hand, probably one of my favorite hands i've seen on that show.

8. Wedge Rock

That was after a string of steals by Farha to, IIRC. Bluffing at pots... it was right after he sat down too... I can't believe someone didn't look him up!

9. HappyCat

HappyCat Well-Known Member

In cash games, and when heads up, my understanding is that its pretty much anything goes. You can show the other player your hand and attempt a read, offer a discounted price to call, agree to split the pot, chop it based on an agreed win %... or if its just SB vs BB and preflop then you could agree to pull the blinds back and move onto the next hand.

I've seen just about all this done.

10. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Well-Known Member

This is most common in big bet poker since the swings are so huge.