Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Rules for Chicago and other 7-stud variations

Discussion in 'Dealer's Choice Games' started by mothmandan, Jul 19, 2008.

1. mothmandan

mothmandan CCGTCC Member

I moved up to a small town in Northern Alberta this summer as a seasonal forest protection officer with the provincial government. One of the bonuses (for me anyways) is that there is a semi-regular office game that I have had a chance to clean up in. The games called are not always real poker games but it has been pretty entertaining (rule 1 for any home game I would think) and I have also learned a few different games I haven't played before (Chicago, and Jacks or Better to name a couple of the actual poker games). The one thing I know is that they don't play by regular rules sometimes - for example in the 7-stud games the high card always brings in (I am almost 100% certain that the low should bring in). It isn't my game so I play by their rules and it hasn't affected me too much. I think the worst part of the game is that it always starts by opening up an aluminum 1000 chip case that contains dice chips.

Anyways, I am moving back to poker civilization this fall and would like to start incorporating Chicago and maybe a few other new games in to my home games since I realized I am really bored of Texas Hold'em. Does anyone know of a resource (book, website) that has the official rules for Chicago and perhaps some other poker game variations that I could add to the reference pile. I realize that some of these games don't need rule books, but my game is a lot more serious (we need a fall back resource in case of a dispute) and I am probably learning some of these games in the wrong way since the basic 7-stud rules are already off a bit.

I would appreciate any direction you can send my way.

2. Freelancer72

Freelancer72 Well-Known Member

you could always try wikipedia....

3. wafflestomper

wafflestomper Well-Known Member

I've heard google is nice this time of year...

4. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

A lot of the games have different local variations to the rules. What you should do is print out your version and post it. eg, you mention that in 7cs, the high card brings it in. That is a very common variation of the bring in rule and I personally feel that might be a better idea than the low card bring in as the hi card have the advantage so why make the lo card bring in.

Another variation, especially properly with Asian players is that A2345 str is 2nd highest str intead of normally being lowest str. Being a Canadian, did you know that a 4 card str or flush counts in some part of Canada as being a hand. Then there is the two difference for lo-ball, one being the 7-2 variety and the other being a bike being lowest.

So if you are playing dealer's choice, it is best to have your rules printed unless you are playing with the same group of players and having a common understanding of house rules.

5. Freelancer72

Freelancer72 Well-Known Member

the A2345 straight is only the 2nd highest straight in Pai Gow Poker.
    i've never heard of 4 card straights or flushes actually beating a proper hand.
    what part of Canada are you talking about? sure as heck ain't Manitoba...