Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

revisiting the 2003 WSOP ME: solid lols

Discussion in 'Poker on TV and in Movies' started by jbutler16, Apr 26, 2014.

1. jbutler16

jbutler16 Old Man Sweater

for some reason i found myself rereading one of the sam grizzle threads on 2+2 the other day and someone had linked to one of the clips of sam battling with hellmuth at the 2003 main event. it was funny enough and i ended up watching all 7 episodes of ESPN's coverage for the main.

i must not have watched this for years because it is bonkers. there are so many hysterical moments that it's hard to even rank the top five. it's not hard for me to name which was the single best, though. if you somehow have not seen or don't remember the profile of hellmuth from that year, you are in for an amazing treat. i truly cannot believe this isn't a mockumentary because literally every detail is pure hilarity and the whole thing makes phil just look pathetic. it's honestly like watching a christopher guest film. here's the clip (starting at 11:57 - the embed won't take you right to the time, but this link will):

[youtube]Z8lJm_wQOIE&t=11m57s[/youtube]

the most representative of the moronic (in retrospect, of course) nature of the coverage is this clip of dutch boyd explaining how you really need to learn chip tricks because they show the others at the table how good of a player you are (starting at 20:11 - again, the embed won't take you to the time, but this link will):

[youtube]rz8bjQTKkb8&t=20m11s[/youtube]

there's tons of that stuff throughout, though, and even if some of it's stomach-turning (annie duke's waxing philosophical about balancing family and poker) and some of it actually doesn't sounds out of date at all (ivey's interview and a lot of what moneymaker says, actually), it's all entertaining and surreal.

a guy has all 7 episodes on his youtube channel and they're not split into a thousand clips; just one 45-ish minute episode after the other. here's the first:

[youtube]HMVGvGMY-yY[/youtube]

2. JoseRijo

JoseRijo Well-Known Member

I re-watched it a couple of years ago. What shocked me was how bad the poker coverage was. No blinds, no chip counts, no pot amounts. Just, "Doyle bets. Phil raises. OMG Chris goes all in!"

3. Ben

Ben Lifetime Supporter
    Lifetime Supporter

Funny, I was just watching these the past week myself. Somehow I had missed Hellmuth's "Zen" moment though. I do remember LOLing at Boyd's "chip tricks," especially since everyone has now known for years what a massive toolbox the guy is. And now 11 years later, words cannot describe just how LOLbad Moneymaker's 33 call was. I remember thinking at the time "wow what an amazing call! He must be able to read that guy's soul!" Uh, no. Even if he did have some kind of soul read, it's still awful.

Also, for a REAL good belly laugh, check out the 2007 NBC Heads-Up Championship (earliest available on Pokertube,) then watch 2013 and reflect on how much poker theory progressed just in 6 years. Some are worse than others obviously but basically every match displays what we now know to be extremely sub-optimal heads-up play from the "pros" - and any time anything resembling GOOD heads-up play is flashed by anyone, Ali Nejad immediately ridicules it. :laugh: Also any of the bits with Shannon Elizabeth are pure gold...

Edit: also not to be missed is the bit with Brad Booth (episode 5 I believe) where they tell the story of how he dropped out of school at 15 and pretended he was still going, while actually getting a job at Little Caesar's and then dropping his entire paycheck at the local underground card room, week after week. I suppose this was meant to be a "heartwarming story" from the early years of the now rich, successful gambler. *LOLOLOLOL - but also very sad.* :cry:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  4. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Was that the year that Phil was doing his 'zen' thing shirtless on a balcony?? I really don't want to chance seeing that again!

5. Toby

Toby Professional gamboler
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    That was my top moment - the whole sequence was pretty rare, incl his teeth brushing. I thought he was having a stroke

6. Zmasterben

Zmasterben ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Was this the year that the Asian guy (he just went by "Tony G" or something) flopped trip jacks and then folded to Hellmuth's raise. That is still the worst poker play I have ever witnessed in my life.

7. jbutler16

Yeah Tony D. That was beyond absurd.

8. Zmasterben

Zmasterben ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Oops. Tony G is the crazy Australian guy. That Tony D move just makes me mad. He isn't even considering a play. He flops a set and just assumes he's beat by the guy that raises 90% of the time and tosses his cards in without a second thought.

9. wgicon

wgicon Well-Known Member

+1
    I remember re-watching this a year ago or so. I think my neighbors heard my "WTF!?!?"

10. Schmendr1ck

Schmendr1ck Well-Known Member
    Supporter

11. Chicken Rob

Chicken Rob Poker sorry.
    Lifetime Supporter

This was my favorite moment. Surprised no one mentioned it sooner.

12. jbutler16

keller, there were only ten posts in the whole damn thread. reading is fundamental.

13. bergs

bergs The Don Rickles of Chiptalk
    Lifetime Supporter

My favorite parts:

- Men "The Master" getting respect before people realized he was a complete con-artist angleshooting scumbag cheater.
    - Everything Phil Hellmuth
    - Annie Duke sans shoes sitting her on feet on a chair, JJ bye bye
    - Lederer giving off more tells than an English archery class

14. jbutler16

fyp. also, my favorite annie duke story, told by doyle in the early days of rec.gambling.poker:

15. Ben

Ben Lifetime Supporter
    Lifetime Supporter

I noticed that too - not half as many as Scotty Nguyen though, who was also incidentally just clicking buttons 100% in every hand they showed. "Prince of Pokah baby!!!" Puke. Can't believe I used to like that guy...

16. jbutler16

for all of the annoying shenanigans of the 2003 ME, i have to say it's preferable to the 2007 final table which i watched on the treadmill last night. everyone (well, apart from hevad khan) was taking everything so seriously and having no fun at all. of course it's even worse nowadays with the hoodies and headphones basically doing their best to make live the same as online. then again, seeing the 2007 clip of jerry yang and lee watkinson's wife both praying to jesus for their side to win when they were all in was amazing.

[youtube]O0_W53kXmLc[/youtube]

17. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

ugh I'd forgotten the holy rollin FT of 2007. That clip is pretty disgusting really.

18. jbutler16

but just think how many people lee could have converted if he'd spiked that 7.

19. joeyshin

joeyshin Well-Known Member

Watching this clip made me realize that i've never watched 2007 wsop.

20. SixSpeedFury

SixSpeedFury Well-Known Member

Dear God that was horrible.