Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Regressive Bad Beat Jackpot?

Discussion in 'Home Game General' started by TenPercenter, Sep 17, 2015.

1. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

We have a Bad Beat Jackpot that gets easier to win each game. The amount goes up, but the qualifier goes down. Starts at aces full, goes all the way down to ace high flush. That way we ensure it hits in a reasonable amount of time.

"Progressive" denotes the increasing amount of the payout. What I am trying to do is figure out what to call the type that has a decreasing qualifier but an increasing payout.

What would you call that?

2. BGinGA

BGinGA Banned

"Regressive Bad-Beat Jackpot" seems reasonable to me. "Sliding-scale Bad Beat Jackpot" would also work.

I like the idea. I assume you simply go down the list of full-house options (aces-full, kings-full....deuces-full) before you drop down to the flush options.... do you also start with ace/king-high flush and work down from there to ace/six-high flush, then king/queen-high? Or does any ace-high flush win it, if it gets down that far?

3. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator

We do something a bit different. Each night, everybody antes into a "biggest loser" jackpot. At the end of the night, the highest losing hand of the night takes the jackpot.

It seems like luck runs in streaks:
    1) you get great cards and win big. Good.
    2) you get crappy cards and fold a lot. Not so bad.
    3) you get great cards that are somehow just not quite good enough. This gets expensive. The biggest loser jackpot eases the pain a little.

bordizzle, TenPercenter and abby99 like this.
  4. TenPercenter

I'll post my scale when I get to a computer.

The bad beat has hit twice, both times around 9's full. I don't host games very often, so it's taken about 5 months each time. It hits around $2,500.

5. TenPercenter

Here's the rules page:

Here's the regression of qualifiers:

6. Bloody Marvellous

Bloody Marvellous Well-Known Member

I like this idea and how it's set up.

Also like the RSVP note at the end, but don't like it being linked to qualifying for the BBJ. If the player's playing, and money is taken from the pot for the BBJ, that player should qualify. Repeated RSVP's and no-shows should result in warnings followed by being taken off the invite list for an x-period or indefinitely, or you could require a compulsory contribution to the BBJ for every RSVP and no-show the next time the player does play.

7. Sal Bandini

Sal Bandini Well-Known Member

Contrarian thinking here...

If I lost with 9s full in any of those previous months I would be pissed. If anything, as more money is gathered it should be harder, or stay the same, not made easier.

If it's hitting at 9s full, just make that the qualifier.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015