Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Recent Shuffle Tech Reviews/Experiences

Discussion in 'Poker Gear General' started by Professor75, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Professor75

Professor75 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in getting a shuffler and the only that is out there which seems to be at a somewhat reasonable cost is shuffle tech for $500. Now, I've read a couple threads about the first version of shuffle tech but these threads are at least 2 years old.

I'm looking for a more recent review on it. Is there a 2nd more quieter version than the first? Does anyone here have one and can tell me if they are happy with it?

All this info will help me a lot. Thank you!

2. jldecarlo

jldecarlo Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I got one for myself for Christmas. I also bought an enclosure from big slick poker tables for an additional $200 or so. It's a little loud and a little slow. It rarely jams, but it's easy to clear when it does. Overall I like it but admit it's pricey.

[​IMG]

L

3. Professor75

The loudness is my biggest issue with it. How is it slow though? I would imagine if you use 2 decks, even 3, you're waiting what, 5 seconds at most ?

4. jldecarlo

I think it takes 35 seconds to do a three riffle shuffle and 75 to do a seven riffle shuffle. No problem with 4 or more players, but a little slow heads up at the end of a tournament.

L

5. TBonesPoker

TBonesPoker Well-Known Member

Somewhat loud and card sensitive insofar as jamming. I put some new KEM/Bicycle WSOP.com cards in play last Friday and finally had to return to manual shuffling because of frequent jams...they are easy to clear, though. Two or three months ago mine developed a loud moaning sound--desirable in a partner, not so much in a shuffler. Contacted ShuffleTech who had me return it for repairs which were carried out promptly and professionally at no cost. Damn, now I need one of those enclosures!

6. NoFear

NoFear Well-Known Member

I had the first version....I don't like it at all! Jam frequently. I have two friends who purchased the second version, I swear it hardly jam at all. Yes the noise is a little bit loud but the game play is so much faster and better.

I highly recommended. Install the Shuttle Tech into the poker table or build a box and insulated to keep the noise down.

PS use the Prestige Cards from Welgreen. Those card doesn't jam at all with the Shuttle Tech. BTW, those Prestige Cards, once it goes on sale you can beat it.

Click below for Prestige Cards.
    Bicycle*Prestige Plastic Playing Cards | Walgreens

Good luck.....

7. TBonesPoker

TBonesPoker Well-Known Member

True that. Those cards rock!

8. meatboy

meatboy Faux Clay Nation

funny, these are Fourniers and I had a lot of Jams using other Fournier Cards.

9. TheDuke

TheDuke Well-Known Member

My Party Poker Fournier cards jam constantly.

10. jldecarlo

Copag cards are recommended. I've had little problem with them or with Zero cards.

I don't know how clear I was, but I really like it and think it will speed up my games.

L

11. sbenus

sbenus Member

my first post!

just got the shuffle tech for xmas and am very happy. used last knight for my weekly game and nearly 2x hands played with 0 jams using kem cards. :cool: its a bit noisy but if people are talking you won't be bothered

12. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator

I had the pleasure of using JLDecarlo's last week too. I was the operator at one table, across from it on the short side once, and then at the opposite side of the table longways. Yes you can hear it, but it's not loud. It's just a different sound than hand shuffling as the cards hit the plastic walls. But I would say it's less loud than hand shuffling. I didn't notice the sound at all after the first few minutes. I got to where I listened on purpose when a hand ended to see if the deck was ready.

Like JLD said, very few jams,I think I saw three all day. And that could probably be tempered with different cards. We used at least three brands that day.

We never once waited for cards to be completed shuffling like you do with human shufflers. If everyone shuffled like me then the ShuffleTech would be the bottleneck, but I'd say 80% of players are slow shuffling. Or forget to at all until someone asks "are the red ones shuffled?"

It was probably annoying to the one guy that had to feed it for hours on end though.

13. Nickawompus

Nickawompus © ♥♦ Nobody Special ♣♠ ®
    Lifetime Supporter

I bought one when they first came out and had to return it. They repaired it and I have not had a problem since. I've never had a complaint or even comment on the noise it makes. It jambs maybe once a night but a little shake and it's good to go. I'm very happy with it.

14. lars3159

lars3159 ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

I am about to order one of these and want to get everyone's opinion on warranty. Should I shell out for an extra 2 years of warranty coverage or are these fairly simple inside?

15. eM etiB

eM etiB Well-Known Member

I just bought one. It arrived DOA and after a little communication challenge I received a replacement.

First game was last night and it did make a big difference with speed of play.

16. pltrgyst

pltrgyst Well-Known Member

How hard are they on the cards themselves? Can any damage be done to the cards when they jam?

17. eM etiB

eM etiB Well-Known Member

I've had 4 games of about 6 or 7 hours each on mine and have used the same two decks (Modiano Platinum's) for most of that. They work great and I can't see any noticeable wear from anything the shuffler might be doing. I'm sure if you run the cards through it enough it will eventually show some wear but my guess is your players will beat the hell out of the cards way before the ShuffleTech does.

18. mac40k

mac40k Well-Known Member

I'm still thinking about getting a Shuffle Tech, although it means I'll have to modify my table to be able to install it since there currently isn't enough room between the cash/chip drawer and the pedestal base. I generally forego any extended warranties because they are a waste of money IMO, but I'm considering getting one on the Shuffle Tech because I'd hate to get a little over a year of use out of it, have a problem and be stuck out of warranty. One the one hand, the warranty is 18% of the price of the machine, which seems a little steep. OTOH, it works out to just $3.75 per month for the additional 24 months of coverage and since that's basically one orbit of blinds in my $1/$2 game, when you look at it that way, it doesn't seem so bad.

Correction, just ordered it with flush mount kit and 2-year extended warranty.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  19. Professor75

From all these reviews it seems to me that this item is a must. Thank you all.

20. lars3159

lars3159 ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

I bought one shortly after posting above and have loved it!! It almost never jams. The bands inside started to get dirty so I banned greasy snacks (I should have done this anyway to keep the chips clean). If people are paying attention it is amazing how many hands we can get in. I went to a game the other day with a single deck hand shuffled and dice chips on a folding table and I just about couldn't stand it.