Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Re-Labeling Used Chips - Order of Operations?

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Care' started by justsomedude, Sep 13, 2015.

1. justsomedude

justsomedude Well-Known Member

I'm about ready to re-label my T1000 Stardust Mansion Paulson chips with new $0.25 labels. Before I do, I'm looking for guidance on the best/most-recommended way to do things. So far, I've thoroughly cleaned all of the chips with mild dish soap and a soft brush. Where I'm a little nervous is using oil near the new labels.

Side note - I usually do NOT oil the surface of Paulson chips, as I've found it causes too much dust/grime to cling. I do like to oil the edges for the extra color "pop" it provides.

Here's what I'm thinking...

- Apply new label
    - Oil chip edges
    - Wipe edges
    - Wipe chip surfaces of any extra

Is this order OK? Will this risk wrinkling/wilting the labels if any oil gets on them? Or, should I oil/wipe BEFORE applying labels?

Thanks in advance!

2. slisk250

slisk250 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would get the labels on then hold them between my fingers in a barrel tightly (10 chips at a time). Then I'd take i bit of oil and lightly run my fingers around the rolling edge until it is all covered (very little oil). then wipe it all off before you set them down. Then wipe each chip individually. Works great. If next summer you need some of the T100 (coral) for labels and want to trade some extra T1000 yellow, I'll bring then to Denver. :)

justsomedude likes this.
  3. Ronoh

Ronoh Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Quick thread jack, does using a high quality label on quality chips (say inlaid paulsons) damage the chip in any way? Meaning adhesive residue being present and difficult to remove, difficulty in removing said labels without physical damage, etc? I'm sure these answers appear 100 times around here but I'm on my phone and didn't feel like searching :wink:

4. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Neither do I, but I do recall reading that no damage is done to the chip.

Ronoh likes this.
  5. Ronoh

Ronoh Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Thanks Marsha. I have a mixed tournament set I would like to label once my label design is finished as a "label trial run" before committing to a CPC order but being the 800 chip set has a market value around $1600 I'd rather not hurt the chippies.

6. BGinGA

BGinGA Banned

I'd guess that the UV-cured adhesive used by PGI probably doesn't come off easily, and maybe won't come off without causing damage to an underlying inlay. But most label adhesives should peel off somewhat easily from inlay chips, but may need some clean-up afterwards.

abby99 and Ronoh like this.
  7. ChaosRock

ChaosRock Well-Known Member

I'm with Dave here... I got some chips that were re-labeled with a PGI label and it is an absolute nightmare to get the labels off... The removing process also puts the chip at risk of breakage and can scuffle the inlay... Lots of glue left behind as well...

However, I also got some that had GEAR's labels and they were infinitely easier to remove... No ill effect on the chips at all... They feel a lot more elastic (PGI more papery) so the labels don't get ripped that easily...

Both underneath inlays were smooth... I believe if the inlays are a bit textured, the removal becomes easier, just my guess...

I also removed GEAR labels for hotstamps/solids and it's a breeze...

All GEAR labels were non-laminated (as was PGI's) and my guess is that the laminated ones are easier to remove as well... Not easy to find chips that can take the laminated ones though... Even mint chips are right at the limit imo...

Ronoh likes this.
  8. justsomedude

justsomedude Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, everyone - my relabeling is going very well!! See the early results below...

chips.png

My next questions is - when the need arises - how do I clean re-labeled chips?

I wouldn't want to use soap and water, as the water will damage the PGI label. Right? What's the standard approach here?

ChaosRock likes this.
  9. CHP TD

CHP TD Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    clean, label oil. in that order you want a clean surface with no oil for the label to stick.

ive relabeled 800 so far and ive found a really quick good way to relabel. let me know if u what the details

Cheers Geoff

10. CHP TD

CHP TD Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    try using wet wipes to clean after the labels are on. the cheaper the wipe the better they seem to work.

justsomedude likes this.