Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Question about stacking chips?

Discussion in 'Home Poker Rules' started by maverickprince, Jan 22, 2009.

1. maverickprince

Not sure if this falls under a rule per se, or etiquette (or both?) but how are chips "supposed" to be stacked... clearly in view, but if a player decides to stack them all in assorted order (tooty fruity columns of chips) it makes it difficult for all to get a "read" the chip count.

I suppose you could annoy the guy and ask for an EXACT count but I noticed it done at a game and was wondering about it?

2. Vince

Vince Faux Clay Nation

The "common" stack size should be 20.
    That's the amount of chips an ordinary plastic chip rack holds in one row.

btw, welcome to the board!!

3. Felix

Felix Well-Known Member

In my games, one or two others and i make stacks of twenty (if possible :wink:).
    Most of the players make stacks of ten chips. Some stack them as high as they can and others repeatedly hide their high denoms.
    I don't care anymore. If i am in a hand that might get expensive, i ask how much chips my opponent has left, if i can't make a rough estimate by looking at them.
    Sometimes i remind them not toplace their high denoms ehind the lower ones and so on, but regarding that issue,i am tired of being the "table-nazi".

4. maverickprince

Thanks for replies, but actually I didn't mean the "size" of stacks, rather the practice of mixing denominations in each stack... i.e. you can't get a good sense of just how much total $$ they have since it's all multi-colored....

5. Felix

Felix Well-Known Member

Oh...that's another issue. I have never seen any of my players, doing that intentionally. I've seen the weirdest stacks, that hardly can be called stacks anymore. But at least the guys try to stack chips of the same denom.
    So i think my players are not that bad :cool: , some of them even adjust the edgespots of each chip in the stack. Sounds like i can't comply about their stacking behaviour.

6. Vince

Vince Faux Clay Nation

Don't mix denoms within a stack. It will only make things more complicated.
    And most of all, it doesn't look very good.
    :wink:

If you have a "standard" stack (no matter of 20 or 10) it's pretty easy to figure out what one stack is worth.

7. rakrul

rakrul Well-Known Member

You can't require that they stack them "properly" but you can keep asking how much they have so they'll start to stack them properly since it's a real hassle to count mixed stacks. :)

8. clivestraddle

clivestraddle Well-Known Member

Of course in a WSOP tourney you are required to stack your chips in 20 stack increments with the number of stacks clearly visible and the highest denoms on the outside - for cash games - the house can NOT allow hidden higher denoms not be in play for the play if they effect the outcome in the favor of the player hiding them.

9. Matt255

Matt255 Well-Known Member

Exactly what i did in our homegame. Everytime someone with a mixed stack (i mean really mixed, not just two chips on top of a stack with a different denom) bet, i asked him how much he had left. That drives people nuts and they stack their chips properly.

I do however put big chips on top of a lower denom stack and put the stack infront of the others, so it's very easy to spot those big chips.

As for the size of the stack, 20 is usually a good amount, some people in our homegame have 10 high stakes, i sometimes make 30 or even 40 high stakes, if i have a lot of chips.

BTW: If my opponent goes all-in, i always ask how much he has, even though it might seem obvious, as he might be one of those people who hide their big chips. I really hate that.:razz:

10. imthatguy

imthatguy Lifetimer/Former Mod
    Lifetime Supporter

I hate dirty stacks, and if it happens, I mention it to the player. As simple as saying "Hey, you've got a dirty stack there." Usually that's all it takes.

As for hiding the high denoms, that is not cool IMO. But I always ask for a count before making any decisions.

11. shaboo

shaboo Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I totally agree. Hiding higher denoms isn't simply uncool. It's childish and unsportsmanlike.

12. jojobinks

jojobinks Poker Nerd (and Admin)
    Lifetime Supporter

hiding big denoms:
    100% of new players do it. it's a natural survival instinct, i think.
    then...i'd say 80% of more experienced players will continue to do it unless they're told/taught not to.

for an experienced player that knows not to, it's a really ugly move.

a story from a poker friend of mine: he's playing 2/5 and has top two on the turn. villain has raised him. $500 in the pot and it's $200 more to call. hero has $1000left in his stack. he asks the dealer what the villain has behind. dealer looks at stack and says $300. hero moves in for the $1000. villain calls and it turns out he had some black chips hidden behind (oh yeah, and a set). dealer says sorry hero, all in is allin. hero says wtf, you told me he had only $300 behind. dealer says sorry bro. hero calls floor. repeat: "sorry bro."

as in most etiquette issues, this stuff is learned. so as the experienced players in your game, it's important to stress to the n00bs or boors how to act right and why.

13. StevenH72

StevenH72 Creativity Alliance

I agree, I hate it, it is a really D-bag of a move. If I see it, I ask the player to stack properly/ neatly, so it is clearer to estimate stack sizes, then everytime they bet into me (f they havent fixed it) I ask how much they have, wait for them to finsh counting and turbo fold (assuming I have nothing).

14. maverickprince

Interesting replies, thanks.

Basically I can "needle" the player by asking how much is in his stack... but a new issue... what if he counts incorrectly? e.g. "err.... I got about $5K". Whether he's sure of it, or not, what rulling occurs if an all-in bet is miscalculated due to that player's counting error?

15. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Simply don't accept an estimate, make him or the dealer count it out in stacks.

16. Matt255

Matt255 Well-Known Member

That's your problem. If a player moves all-in and tells you, that he has about 1000 left while he has 2000 (even if the dealer tells you, he has 1000), he is all-in with 2000.

Either count his chips yourself or let the player push all stacks and let him or the dealer line up the stakes. Never trust the dealer, nor your opponent in this case, because you have to live with a miscount.

Now that i think about it, here's another rule:
    Don't hold you chips in your hand. In ours last homegame, someone constantly had his 20-25 chips in his hand, so noone could see those. I asked him half a dozen times if he still had chips (to make him stop doing that). He didn't quite understand me, so i just told him not so friendly to leave the damn stack on the table and don't juggle around with it, esspecially while he is in a hand. Another no-go in chipstacking.

17. clivestraddle

If the dealer announced an amount incorrectly - then you should have called the floor - you would only be obligated what the dealer said he had. The dealer should have said - "Sir - I need to count your stack - pulled it out - and give you the amount..

I had a case in a tourney - I asked how many $1000 chips the guy had ..and he started to count (I had about 70K) - he started out 5-10-15-20-25-26-27 - I then shoved in (thinking he was going to be under that amount (turns out he had 100K - so he was counting an odd stack before going to the next stacks of 10)

18. Couga

Couga Creativity Alliance

Play Limit. :wink:

- Couga

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  19. jojobinks

jojobinks Poker Nerd (and Admin)
    Lifetime Supporter

the bolded part is clearly not true. proof: any espn telecast.

20. clivestraddle

I know thatplayers are required to keep their stacks in clear multiples throughout and that odd stacks put out front so that the dealer can easily see what the amount is during an all-in - the increments of 100K / 1M and 10M are to be put in groups so that the dealer can see that the person has 14M 300K 20K 5K or 14,325,000

Here is a circuit event report where (amoung other things) a player was disqualified at the final table for refusing to stack his chips correctly

http://news.parttimepoker.com/2008/03/08/chip-leader-at-final-table-of-wsop-circuit-event-is-dqd/