Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Progens, worth the buy?

Discussion in 'Poker Chip General' started by Heltrix, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Heltrix

Heltrix Member

I recently jumped on an eBay sale (still waiting for them to ship) of 1000 chips in an acrylic case. The seller has them listed as Progen 2 11g, but they look to me like the Progen 80s that I have had my eye on. It is a set of 300 x Blue $1, 500 x Orange $5, and 200 x Purple $25. Can anyone confirm or refute that these are actually customised Progen 80s or is there a Progen 2 line of chips? Either way, was $95 a good price for these? The cheapest I have been able to find Progen 80s for online is 23c ea and that is without the case, racks, or custom labels. The cheapest I have found labeling for them is 7c. All told, I estimate the cheapest I could buy this set for (if they are Progen 80s) is ~$325, while the most likely cost for the set all together is around $350. I am somewhat excited as this is my first "good" set of chips (I've caught the fever lol :) ).

Thanks,
    Alex

PS: These chips are used, but with the disclaimer that most have never been touched and that all are in perfect condition.
    PPS: If I were going to pick up some cheaper chips for quarters (I think they are called roulette chips or something) where should I look?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. ttttubby

ttttubby Well-Known Member

Those aren't actually progens but rather palm imports china clays and 1000 for $95 is a steal. New these would run you 42-45c each (labeled). At this point custom labels will cost you more than the chips themselves and for what it's worth I kind of like the labels.

3. Heltrix

Heltrix Member

Thanks for the response. I honestly have no idea, so not doubting you, but how can you tell they are China clays vs. Progens (I'm guessing you have quite a bit of experience with each). Side note, I really like the labeling too, kind of an added bonus there lol. Not quite the denoms I wanted (I play .25 and.50 NLHE) but again, i thought it was a steal and couldn't pass them up.

Thanks,
    Alex

4. pltrgyst

pltrgyst Well-Known Member

You have $2500 in $5s there, plenty of bank, so you should be able to simply use the $25s as quarters for your .25/.50 cash game, right?

Definitely a steal. With the case included, more than a steal -- a give-away.

5. Heltrix

Heltrix Member

That's a really good idea. I'll probably end up doing that, the only issue (and its a very minor one) would be using them, losing one, then in the future it finding its way back into a $1/$2 game if ever I had one lol.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Alex

6. ttttubby

The progens have a greek key mold that is more exaggerated than the Palm imports greek key mold. You will notice that yours look like a bunch of 'L's lined up against each other. The progens look like 'J's. The L mold is much better IMHO

7. Heltrix

Heltrix Member

Wow, good eye. I'm guessing the set was a gift and the brand was unknown. Glad I caught this steal :happy:.

Thanks again for the help,
    Alex

8. ttttubby

Alot of people confuse the two... the mold is very very similar, and they are made in the same factory, but the L mold chips definitely have a better feel.

I don't need 1000 more of these chips, but I couldn't help jumping on ebay to see if another deal like the one you got could be found. It really was a windfall (especially with the case)

Kudos.

9. johnblue

johnblue Well-Known Member

I didnt need these, but i could hardly not buy them. I made an offer for 75.

You just got hooked up.

Those are nice labels, basically you got a giant awesome set of China clays for next to nothing. The case, and shipping would cost nearly what you paid for everything.

I am slightly jealous, but i love my grand vic roulette s .

10. johnblue

E Or if you wanted to have giant stacks on the table, you could use the 5s as nickles, the quarters as quarters .whooop.

And because these chips are always available, you can build out this set however you like later =)

11. MrWitti

MrWitti Lifetime Supporter
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    what happened? I see these chips still listed on ebay...

12. ttttubby

If they are somehow still on sale I've got dibbs

13. MrWitti

MrWitti Lifetime Supporter
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Now it says sold for 95$... Hope you did get them for that price.

14. Heltrix

Heltrix Member

I hope I got them, because PayPal took the money already. :shocked:

15. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

Media:
    FYI to the OP, unless I'm mistaken, it looks like there were multiple sets of these listed on ebay. I don't want to be cold water on your deal, but I'd wait until I receive them before I break out the bubbly. The seller may have used the wrong photos. I hope I'm wrong, but buyer beware.

16. Heltrix

Heltrix Member

I know there were different offers as the deal expired right after I posted an offer, so I had to do a second offer on a re-posted item. This could be the cause of the multiple item phenomenon. Haven't received them yet so I'll have to find out what they look like.

17. Heltrix

Heltrix Member

Chips came in today. They are beautiful and just as they were advertised. The shipment is missing one $5 chip and two $25 chips are broken (one in shipping, i think the other before shipping) but all in all I am extremely happy with them. Still waiting on the case and racks as they shipped a day behind the chips. Can't wait to put these chips in a game! :happy:

18. johnblue

Yeah i was worried fort you when i saw them up for sale again, just after you posted here... Glad you got them =)

19. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

Media:
    Great to hear. Sorry I was a gloomy Gus earlier. Enjoy!

20. Heltrix

Heltrix Member

Racks and case came in today. Case is cracked a little bit and 20 $25 chips will not fit in a rack, slightly disappointed in that, but should work fine. If I put 8 $25 and 12 $5 in a rack its snug but not impossible. The case I am not too worried about as its purpose is to take any beating that's thrown its way, which it will do. Again, even though there are certain odds and ends that are not really up to snuff, I am still happy with the purchase as I got a heck of a deal.

Already had them in a game and worked great!

Thanks for all the feedback,
    Alex