Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

prize and bounty chip group buy?

Discussion in 'Group Buy Discussion' started by jldecarlo, May 16, 2005.

1. jldecarlo

jldecarlo Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

My wife suggested a group buy of "prize chips." Probably chipcos that say something like poker tournament winner, or runner-up, etc. I think she has been watching Celebrity Poker Showdown and likes the "golden chip" they get when they win.

If we got 20ish people to put up $30-40 each, we could get 30-40 winner's chips each (enough for a lifetime or at least several years). The chips would have to be fairly generic, but it might work.

What do you think?

L

2. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Have you considered custom coins instead of a ChipCo chip? I've been considering doing this, as a coin is a better keepsake, and makes a better card protector.

Of course, I doubt other people would want a greek helmet or owl on one side of the coin, but I like the AA on the first example...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you could get a bunch of people to agree on a design with color and epoxy, they would look fantastic, IMO. Here's one site I found that seems to have good prices. There are probably others that may have better prices, but this was the only good one I could find that sells less than 50 per order.

www.honorcoins.com

3. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

I like that AA one as well. Now what to replace the 'Pittman's Pub' with?? :?

4. smoore

smoore Creativity Alliance

I've been tossing around the idea of a "bounty" coin. I'd be down for 50 if they were ~$1/ea. I don't really care too much about the design as long as it's professional and says "bounty" on it prominently. (Greek would be badass.)

Anyone else?

As an aside, I would be down for "winnner!" coins as long as I could order them as low as 50 (one year supply) and then be able to reorder them as warranted in small quantities (50-100) for a decent price.

I'm lazy, don't expect me to do much about a group buy except participate :wink:

5. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator

Sure! It could have a graphic of a severed head on a pike. Or maybe a "Wanted -- Dead or Alive" poster..

I'd also buy some trophy chips, but it would be nice if there were a resupply source for these.

I could go for either coins or chips. If they're coins, it might be nice if they were 39mm, just so they'd fit in chip cases.

6. jldecarlo

Tell me more about a "bounty" chip. How does it work? Is there a bounty for taking out the previous winner?

Also, if we were to make a bounty and trophy chip what would they look like? Keep in mind that if we go with chipco, the art charges can add up if you go with completely different designs for each chip.

IMO a coin would be at least as nice as a chip, maybe nicer. I like the idea of it being the same size as a chip though.

L

7. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator

Basically, a bounty is a prize given for knocking somebody out of the tournament. You could have a bounty on whomever you want... everybody in the tournament, last week's winner, whatever. You take part of the prize pool and reserve it for paying the bounties. Each person with a bounty on their head gets a bounty chip. Whenever that person is all-in, the bounty chip goes into the pot (or sidepot) with that person's last chip. At the end of the tournament, bounty chips are redeemed for booty.

8. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

You guys beat me to the punch, I was going to add bounty chip to this idea!

Here's a thought, I know that you can get custom chipcos printed on the octagon chip that Ten used for his $1000 anubis chip. That would be pretty unique for a bounty/winner chip. You could even have the trophy on one side and the head on a pike or pelt on the other.

9. acepokerchipcompany

acepokerchipcompany Well-Known Member

If anyone can come up with a design, I can get them for about .90 shipped per chip from Chipco. (minimum order 100 per person)

(again, I can only get it to .90 a chip if we can get enough orders, maybe a bit more if we dont get that many.)

10. jldecarlo

That would be great. I can try a basic mock-up (I'm no artist), but we need some ideas, both for graphics and text. The only text on the Bounty chip would be "bounty", but do you like champion, winner, or something different.

L

11. Pimpdawg54

Pimpdawg54 Well-Known Member

Count me in on bounty chips

We usually play with bounties, so I'd definitely be in for at least 25 bounty chips. Would make it much easier for the pay-out at the end. I'd prefer the coin as that would stand out from chips. Seems like at around $2/each from linked site is pretty fair. Either way I'd be in on the bounties whether chip or coin.

12. jojobinks

jojobinks Poker Nerd (and Admin)
    Lifetime Supporter

i like it. although i like tourny winner chips more than the bounty idea. i'd be in for 100 or so if they were tourny winners...

13. acepokerchipcompany

acepokerchipcompany Well-Known Member

This is for you guys, so you decide!

14. jojobinks

jojobinks Poker Nerd (and Admin)
    Lifetime Supporter

here's why you guys should work on this design and not me.

[​IMG]

15. Pimpdawg54

Pimpdawg54 Well-Known Member

That's Sweeeeeeet!!!!!

Count me in on that design!! That is a must have.

Seriously though, I feel your pain. I have zero artisitic ability. It made getting custom chips a chore.

16. jldecarlo

I have no artistic ability, but I can use CorelDraw (a little). I'm thinking two aces with "poker champion" on a gold colored chip for the WINNER chip. I might make an identical chip in silver for runners up or winners of smaller tourney's.

I'm not sure about the bounty chip: a wanted poster? An ace with a bullet hole? An ace with a dagger through it?

So questions:

What color for the bounty chip? Black?
    What graphic for both chips?

Text? Probably just "bounty" for the bounty chip. "Champion" "poker champion" "winner" or no text at all (to keep it versatile) for the winner chip.

Does anybody know about custom coins, because I still think they may be an even better (but prob more expensive) option.

L

17. warewulf

warewulf Well-Known Member

Might be interested. Other than the octagon, chipco also makes an oversized chip. I think that would be a good bounty chip because it also makes a good card protector.

18. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

I found a custom coin shop that has no set up die fees, and goes as low as 1.87/ea when ordering 1000 or more. And that's for the 43mm coin, not a 39mm one. (orders of 300-499 are 2.41/ea.)

Could one of the mods move my coin posts to a separate thread? It might make sense to keep it separate from this ChipCo bounty/prize chip thread, as it's starting to gain momentum.

19. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator

FYI,
    These guys have some tournament prize coins:
    http://www.pokercoin.com/

They seem overpriced to me...

(SpaceMonkey -- I'd rather leave the coin posts here, since several people, including the OP, have expressed interest in them. You can start a separate thread focussed specifically on coins if you want, though.)

20. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Are you talking about the octagonal chip Ace??

I think if we are doing a chipco chip, then for a bounty chip a cool design would be like an old west wanted poster. Wanted Dead or Alive and maybe a picture of someone hiding behind a fan of cards? and Bounty Paid at the bottom? (I have no artistic abilities either so someone else has to do the mockup).