Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Positive Experience with Oxi on PCA $1 Secondaries

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Care' started by abby99, Nov 20, 2015.

1. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Thought I'd report on my good experience with OxiClean. I have acquired 12 racks of PCA secondary $1 chips, half never used, 200 slightly used, and 400 that needed a bath. I tackled a rack of the dirtier chips first with my usual method of Dawn, warm water, and a toothbrush, but although the chips were clean, they weren't nearly as white as the brand new chips. (My expectations are high.) Progressively longer soaks in warm water and Palmolive Ultra with Oxi had positive results but the chips still weren't as white as the new chips. Then I tried a Magic Eraser, and the chips showed additional improvement but still weren't snow white; I didn't really like using an abrasive on the chips. I contacted DCC but they seemed as if they didn't want to sell me a gallon ($78 plus shipping). Finally I picked up some OxiClean Versatile and tried a 5-minute soak with 1/4 scoop of Oxi and 2 cups of water, followed by testing with longer soaks and a stronger solution. Fast forward to the end --> I soaked one rack of chips in 1 scoop of Oxi and 4 cups of warm-hot water (could hold my hand in the water) for an hour, and the improvement was amazing. I soaked each of the 4 dirtier racks again, same mixture and time, and finally ended up with beautifully white chips. I think that two one-hour soaks is better than one two-hour soak. The edge spots did not fade at all. They're not perfect, but they're damn close.

To be sure that in my zest for white chips I wouldn't damage them or the inlays, or cause the spots to fade, I started with conservative methods and checked them frequently. White Paulsons are the only chips I would get this aggressive with. YMMV.

Before:
    Before 1.jpg

After (cleaned chips on the right and in the center, minty fresh chips on the left). The variation in spots is due to the lighting.
    IMG_2265 1200x800.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    gmunny and ChaosRock like this.
  2. ovo

ovo World Series Chump
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    nice, I'll send you my chips for cleaning :)

abby99 likes this.
  3. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Update 11/30/15:

Because all scoops may not be equal, here is a photo of the scoop that I used, along with a chip for size comparison. I filled the scoop to the top. I used 1 full scoop to 4 cups of almost-hot water. I started with one chip, a weak solution, and a 5-minute soak, then rinsed the chip thoroughly and let it dry completely before comparing it with a brand new, never played chip to check the spot colors. I proceeded with a great deal of caution over several days, testing a stronger solution and increasing the soak time gradually, until the chips were almost as white as brand new chips with no fading of the inserts and no visible damage to the inlays.

IMG_2308 1200x900.jpg

CAUTION: Colored chips are known to fade when cleaned with Oxi. I suspect that some colors are more vulnerable to fading than others. I wouldn't recommend using Oxi for colored chips and don't think it's necessary. I used it on the white PCA chips because I wanted to remove the staining -- the chips had already been cleaned in Palmolive and almost-hot water. Also, I soaked the chips in a pan and did not use an ultrasonic machine.

4. Meddler

Meddler Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Media:
    Looks great. I wish I had never sold my minty PCA set. Now i have no paulsons. What an idiot.

5. KudzuKing

KudzuKing Lifetime Supporter
    Lifetime Supporter

I admire your patience and dedication. They look fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

6. owens76

owens76 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have cleaned a lot of chips with oxiclean and written about it. It would be worth looking up.
    I would suggest using 2 scoops that size in just enough hot water to cover the chips. Mix the chips around to dissolve the oxi then start scrubbing them with a big brush with handle a few circles on each side then toss in anther container of water to rinse. To get the edges super clean scrub the edge in stacks of say 20 chips. If the edge spots faded a light oiling with mineral oil will bring back the color and make the chips vibrant.

7. Meddler

Meddler Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Media:
    This is exactly how it's done and doesn't take forever and results are amazing. I've cleaned thousands of chips and concur this method is the best.

owens76 likes this.