Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Poker Chip Cases

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Care' started by The Spaniard Lives, Feb 25, 2015.

1. The Spaniard Lives

The Spaniard Lives New Member

While I've been building my set up I've been wondering - how do all of you typically store your chips at home or when you take them to your friend's? The cheap dice chips I got awhile back came with an aluminum case that I find to be rather flimsy and awkward to carry truth be told. It seems like many professional people use the acrylic carriers, do they simply hold chips in bulk really well? Personally I've seen some nice wooden cases that I'm considering after finishing my 500 set. Can different cases/methods of storing affect the chips in the long term, particularly china clay chips?

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to other sites so I won't...

2. ManAmongKids

ManAmongKids Well-Known Member

acrylic cases hold chips nicely, depending on how wobbly your chip racks are. and they also help showcase our babies as we tend to like to show them off

3. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  4. TexRex

TexRex Well-Known Member

Here's a thread you might want to look at. http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/poker-...-made-u-s.html.

There are a lot of chip storage options out there. I have a Pelican case and love it! It suits my needs quite well, but that doesn't make it a good choice for someone else. If I were you, I'd consider several options.

When I was looking for cases, I was looking for easy transport, durable, reliable, and something that held the chips and other things securely. I chose the Pelican over the tool cases because it better fit the bill for what I wanted, and I liked the fact that I could get a rolling case. That was important to me since I sometimes have to park a ways from where I'm going (a block maybe) and a reliable rolling case makes life much easier.

I’ve tried 7 things. I’ve tried 2 different 650 chip aluminum cases. One is better than the other. They are OK for traveling if the only thing you need to carry is chips and 2 single decks of cards. I would not depend on the handles.

I had a 1000 chip rolling aluminum case. It came free with 1000 chips. It was very cheaply made and I’d never trust it. If all you have to do is store the chips in your poker room, it might be OK, but I’d never pay for one or plan on using it to transport chips despite the wheels.

Many years ago I had a custom built wood case. It held 1000 chips in two 500 chip trays and several decks of cards. The lid hinges weren’t as well built as everything else. I still use the bottom part of the box, but for storage, not travel. I’m sure the wood cases out there are better than what I got. The guy who built it knew what it was for, but I think he seriously underestimated the stress on the hinges. I think a well-built wood case works fine.

I’ve used 4x25 plastic chip boxes in a gym bag. The boxes hold quite well, and will survive some falls without chips going everywhere. If they are inside a gym bag that is closed, at least if you drop the bag, the chips will stay in the bag. I use that when I only need to carry 300-500 chips. The bag can hold cards and dealer buttons too, and is easy to carry. I don’t know that I’d try it with more than 600 chips unless I had a much sturdier bag, which you could get. This is a good inexpensive solution that is very workable. It’s easy to transport.

The case I use for carrying chips now is a Pelican case filled with 10 4x25 plastic cases. I love it!I have a Pelican 1510 with the pick-n-pluck foam and the lid organizer. I have it configured to hold 1000 chips (it could hold more), 14 decks of bridge-size cards, 2 clocks, dealer buttons, card protectors, and my bank roll. It is designed to hold 1000 chips in 10 4x25 boxes. I got a lid organizer with it and it can hold 14-18 decks of bridge size cards, timers, and dealer buttons. Since it rolls, it’s easily transportable, and very secure. It is a more expensive solution, but if you have to transport chips, it’s nearly unbeatable. Look up Pelican cases on the internet and you will find there is a wide variety of options and you can easily customize to fit your needs. I cut the pick-n-pluck foam myself, and if I can do it, anyone can. My mechanical ability might be a negative number. You could also have a custom foam made if you wanted. I will at some point get another Pelican case for my second set of chips, but I haven’t decided what to get yet. Another thing you can do is get a second foam set and have it customized for a different configuration but with only one case. It’s very easy to take the foam out. For a very secure transporting solution that is easily and highly customizable, you can’t beat a Pelican or Pelican-like case.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I used an exacto knife/box cutter to cut the foam. If you get the pick-n-pluck foam, I found it to be very easy to cut. I'm not handy with this type of stuff at all, but it only took me a few minutes.

I got a 13x7x7 shooting range bag from Cheaper Than Dirt. It is very sturdy (much more so than the gym bag) will hold 800 chips in the 4x25 boxes, cards, timers, and dealer buttons. It’s smaller than the gym bag, but still has plenty of room in it. It still has three side pockets I haven’t put anything in for poker. For me, even better it can be emptied of poker equipment and filled with ammo and range supplies for when I go shooting.

For years, I’ve thought a decent small range bag would be a good chip carrier. Now I know it will. Range bags are designed to hold ammo and firearms, which like poker chips are relatively heavy for their size. It works great if you need 600-800 chips, and it holds timers, dealer buttons, and cards as well.

5. Bloody Marvellous

Bloody Marvellous Well-Known Member

For home storage I recommend just using chip racks. They're easily stackable, and make it easy to get the chips out of the cupboard.

For transportation the acrylic carriers are the most practical choice if you want to keep the chips in their rackes, and not repack them in a case.

For some really nice flair you can get one of the mahogany chipcases (500 or 750). They're beautifully made and real showpieces. They're not the most practical as it can be difficult to get the chips out of the bottom rack. They are also obviously not suited for transport, as they damage too easily and you need both hands to carry them.

6. The Spaniard Lives

Thanks to all of you. I checked out the images you had from last year on the thread you linked to TexRex and it seemed extremely nice, looked perfect for what I had in mind.

Is this the exact model you got?
    http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1510-...=1425161553&sr=8-1&keywords=pelican case 1510

But...

I think that's something I'll invest in later, it's a bit too much for now. For now Im really just looking for a very bare minimum of holding 500 chips. The more I've looked into it the more I'm thinking of just getting chip racks over anything else. This is what I had in mind:

http://www.amazon.com/Brybelly-Acry...id=1425161770&sr=8-9&keywords=poker chip rack

A little under $50 for holding 1000 chips, and the racks come with covers so that's much nicer. Any thoughts? Just want to make sure my precious chips don't go bad. :wink:

7. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    I prefer racks without covers because they stack more securely and don't require as much vertical space as racks with covers. Also, if you want to put them into an acrylic carrier at some point, you won't need the covers. An upside-down rack works just fine as a cover on the top rack. I store several thousand chips stacked in racks in a cabinet, with an upside-down rack to top off each stack.

8. The Spaniard Lives

Well upon hearing this I went ahead and checked how much 10 racks from Brybelly cost without the cover, around $22 including shipping. Then I check this out, its their acrylic case with 10 racks:

http://www.amazon.com/Brybelly-Acry...5176211&sr=8-1&keywords=acrylic carrier poker

In total under $55, thats nearly the same price as just their racks with covers! Someone's definitely getting ripped off there. :stunned: I figure that instead of spending $22 for just the racks I may as well splurge and buy the whole acrylic case, I couldn't find an acrylic case without racks that wasn't around the same price anyways. I'm only around halfway finishing my chip set and I'd rather be spending more on the chips than the case as of now. :)

abby99 likes this.
  9. TexRex

TexRex Well-Known Member

Spaniard, yes, that is the case I have. Again I got the pick n pluck foam and the lid organizer with it. I used 4x25 plastic boxes for the chips, not the 5x20 racks with lids. Racks do stack better if the chips fit in nicely in the sense that something anchors them, but the 4x25 boxes and the way I pack them don't move around because they fit fairly tightly into the space.

The range bag is a good solution for 500. It holds two 4x25 boxes end to end. It would not hold two 5x20 boxes end to end -- not enough width. It can hold four 4x25 boxes in the bottom if two are side by side. You would just have to measure for the racks to see what would fit in.

I'm going to emphasize that chip carrier solutions aren't right or wrong, simply good or bad choices for you. I'd figure out what features you want and go from there. Read my criteria above for what I wanted in a case. What I wanted isn't the best of everyone, but for me, the Pelican and range bags were the best solutions.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    The Spaniard Lives likes this.