Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Pelican Case Review

Discussion in 'Poker Gear Reviews' started by Wylecoyo, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Wylecoyo

Wylecoyo Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Manufacturer: Pelican: http://www.pelican.com/index.html
    Retailer(s): http://www.casesbypelican.com/index.htm
    Average Price: $50.00 - $100.00 depending on size.
    Material: High impact plastic case with a foam rubber "Pick and Pluck" insert.
    Member Review by: wylecoyo
    After being dissatisfied in my numerous attempts to find a durable chip case suitable for travel, I finally found what I think is the perfect solution: a high-impact Pelican storage case. Although most people associate these cases with cameras, they are really multi-purpose cases and are available in a huge variety of sizes which makes them suitable for almost any use. ​
    Price
    While any Pelican case will cost more than the aluminum chip cases widely available on ebay or through any poker retailer, I think the overall cost is well justified by the increased protection and durability they afford. My total setup cost was just under $100.00, including $75.00 for the case and another $18.00 for the individual chip storage boxes (not to mention the cost of shipping).​
    Capacity
    Varies according to case size. My 1450 model could easily hold 800 chips in 8 individual chip boxes. The setup pictured includes six Chipco plastic storage boxes which accomodate four rows of 25 chips each.​
    Dimensions
    Varies according to case size. 1450 model as follows:
    Inside Dimensions: 15"L x 10.5"W x 6"H - 1.75" Lid over 4.25" Base Weight: 8 lbs.
    Outside Dimensions: 16"L x 13"W x 6.88"H
    Pelican's full range of case dimensions and features can be found at: http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases4.html

Chipco Chip Box Dimensions:
    Legth: 6 and 7/8ths inches
    Width: 3 and 6/8ths inches
    Height: 1 and 11/16ths inches​
    Looks
    Unlike the garden variety chip case, Pelican cases are primarily black plastic (although some cases are available in yellow, orange, or grey). Overall, they look and are very sturdy and well constructed. Although Pelican cases would probably not be the first option for displaying chips, they are practically perfect for travel applications because they are almost indestructible and very comfortable to carry due to their large handles.​
    Security/Originality
    Pelican cases do not include incorporated locking devices; however, they do include two padlock attachment points (see photos below). I do not normally use padlocks with my case; however, for those who are interested you will need a padlock with at least a 1" straight shank which is no greater than 1/4" in diameter in order to be used with this case (see photo of lock below). ​
    Quality
    Pelican cases are unmatched in terms of material quality, craftsmanship, and construction.​
    Durability
    As previously mentioned, these cases are virtually indestructible. They are airtight, watertight, and impact resistant as well as bouyant (within limitations). I honestly cannot imagine any normal circumstances, and very few extraordinary ones, under which the contents of these cases could be damaged.​
    Reviewers Comments
    If you can’t tell, I am a huge fan of my Pelican case. Not only is it durable and secure, it is available with a “pick and pluck” foam insert which allows for complete customization in terms of how you can use the case. As you can see, I have 600 chips stored in my case, but could easily accommodate up to 800 chips if I decided to lose the auxiliary storage for cards and miscellaneous articles. Larger cases are available, including models with extendable handles and cargo wheels which could accommodate several thousands of chips.

The only situation I have encountered where I feel this type of case is less than satisfactory is in terms of static display. For everyday storage I have an American Oak Poker Chest, as reviewed by Puzzlemonkey; however, this case is not practical for travel storage, which is why I keep both cases on hand.

One of the best features these cases offer is the ability to customize their internal storage configuration to meet your particualr needs, provided you purchase the "Pick and Pluck" foam insert. In essence, the “Pick and Pluck” foam insert is a solid piece of foam rubber fit to the exact inside dimension of the case. Although the outermost 1/2 inch of the insert is not pre-scored, customization is possible because the insert comes with a pre-scored internal grid pattern of 1/2” removable squares which can be “Picked” apart however you would like and “Plucked” from the overall insert. Two potential drawbacks to this feature exist: first, the scoring is provided on a vertical axis only requiring additional cutting by the user in those instances where they do not want their partitions to extend throughout the entire foam (notice how my partitions extend through the entire piece of foam) and second, any thin partitions which are made are somewhat fragile on their own. This second comment concerning the foam partitions is not a problem when solid objects are placed on either side of the partition, but may be a problem if you place heavy objects on just one side because the non-supported foam partition may give way under the weight (see pictures below).

As previously mentioned, Pelican cases are also airtight, watertight, and will float provided the overall weight does not exceed design conditions. These capabilities are facilitated through the inclusion of an “O-ring” seal on the upper lid which is supplemented by a pressure relief valve on the case to allow for manual equalization of internal and external air pressures (permitting opening under lower internal air pressure conditions and preventing the case from blowing open under higher internal air pressure conditions)(see pictures below).

If you want a practical, secure means of storing or transporting your chips, I think a Pelican case is a wise investment. Yes, it will cost you more than the aluminum cases on ebay, but it will last decades longer and will provide far better protection for your investment. While cheaper alternatives are available, I didn’t mind spending about 10% of what I put into my chips to ensure their safety.​
    Pictures

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2006
    2 people like this.