Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Not HORSEing around: fun stuff

Discussion in 'Poker Stories and Bad Beats' started by BigKyle, Jul 1, 2008.

1. BigKyle

BigKyle Well-Known Member

I played in a fun HORSE tourney tonite, the first time I had ever played in a live one. $20 buyin, 14 players, top 3 paid 140-80-60. Finished 3rd and was fairly pleased with that. Anyone who is thinking about starting a HORSE game or learning to play, I cannot recommend it enough. The games are so much different from NLHE and PLO, and they make you think so much more. I have played so little of the H,O,R, and E games, but just by playing tight and smart I grew my stack, mainly by winning a couple nice studEight pots. I won two big pots with these hands

studEight
    My cards: (7x6x) 7x5x7x3x (Ax) = Scoop

studEight
    My cards: (5d3d) Ax6dAd2x (Jd) = Scoop

Then the busto hand came up in a round of studEight. I was allin on 4th with
    (4x2x) Ax8x
    and proceeded to catch Jack, Queen, Ten, and lose to jacks up. All in all a fun game, and I will definitely play more HORSE in the future. You should too.

2. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Ah, another convert! W00t! Welcome!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your first live HORSE tournament. What structure did you use?

3. w16227

w16227 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the HORSE club

tons of fun - and the game where skill takes over a lot of the time (much tougher for a donkey to felt you , though they can put a hurt on)

I was jonesing last night - they did not have the P* HORSE games going :cry:. Had to resort to a PLO for my late night tourney fix and was sent home on the bubbly by the all powerful AJJJ hand (hey - the A was sooooooted).

Online - FT has a $24ish that goes off at ~ 9 central ($4K guarantee) that usually ends at 1`ish. You can usually clear half of the field with a workable stack by simply playing tight.

Stars has both a 100 and 1 (think it is $1- definitely a low limit game) that go off at 8:45 nightly . The 100 is a TOUGH game (pearljammer is a regular along with several other names that stop by occasionally).

4. BigKyle

BigKyle Well-Known Member

3000 chips, started with 25-50 blinds and 50-100 limits. Games changed and blinds, limits, etc. went up every 20 minutes. Most of the rounds we were 7-handed we were able to get a full rotation of the game in. All in all I thought it was pretty reasonable but I am sure there could be improvements.