Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

No-limit Omaha-hi anyone?

Discussion in 'Poker Strategy General' started by Mojo1312, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Mojo1312

Mojo1312 Well-Known Member

There is a $50 MTT that I have been playing in for the past few months. The players who bust out early will start a $1/$2 No-limit Omaha-hi cash game. The buy-in is $60 to $200, and we generally have 10 players at the table once the tournament is over, which dwindles down to 7 or 8 players by evenings end. I don't have much experience with NLO, so I have been trying to adapt. (I am up $80 over four sessions.)

Player/game details: Everyone loves to see a flop; therefore, you are not going to thin the field pre-flop unless you bet $20 or better. Such a strategy can lead to trouble if the players to your immediate left give you action, due to the fact that other players will quickly convince themselves that it is pot worthy to call.

Straddles are also called pot builders. Half of the hands we played last night involved a $4 "pot builder" by the player in the straddle position or the big blind.

My strategy question is, are you further ahead to limp in every pot, or should you be selective?

What about pre-flop raises, which usually creates $80 to $100+ pots before the flop? Should they be avoided, or do we want to bet $20 to $30 with strong hands knowing that we will have at least two callers on a $30 bet, and a minimum of three or four on a $20 bet?

Keep in mind how your SPR is effected when there is $100 in the pot pre-flop.

Any insights or thoughts regarding play/strategy are appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. JeromyinWV

JeromyinWV ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

I've only dabbled in Omaha when i was helping support terrorism by playing online and that was low limits so I'm not much on strategy. With a $200 max buyin, how often do people rebuy in this game? It seems to play much bigger than NLH. Do people end up buying back in after hand 3

3. Mojo1312

The tournament starts at 7:15, the NLO game at 10 to 10:30. We play until 1:00 or quarter after. The second game I played in we had northwards of three grand on the table. I won $250 that night. I lost $170* last week, $35 last night, and I won $35 the first time that I played.

*I went all-in after the turn when I hit the nut straight and open ended straight flush draw on the turn. There were two hearts and the 6 and 7 of spades on the board. I had the 8 and 9 of spades.

I was short stacked, and my all-in amounted to a third of the pot. The player to my left called with a Q high flush draw, and nothing else to go with it. He hit the three of spades on the river, and I lost the $160-$170 pot. That put me down $80, and I just went downhill from there.

Back to your question, I don't really remember what we had on the table from my first session. I am going to guess around two grand, maybe more. The last two weeks have been relatively small compared to the first two games, maybe around $1,500 or so. Hard to tell, because in addition to chips, cash plays, and has to stay visible on the table. You can't easily count bills that are folded in half or lying flat behind stacks. People generally buy-in for $60 ($100 if they are latecomers) and re-buy in for $100.

I think the amount of money in the cash game is dependent upon those mix of players who are playing that night and whether or not the there is a three way split in the tournament which gives the winners more time for the cash game, (if they decide to stay). $200 buy-ins and reloads are not a big deal to some of the people in the group, especially if there are others who have $200 to $300 on the table.

Like I said, I am relatively new to this cash game.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  4. DrStrange

DrStrange Creativity Alliance
    Supporter

Hero should always be selective. Garbage hands are garbage even if they do win from time to time. Position matters in Omaha more than hold'em. Hero can build an outstanding win rate with nothing more than solid preflop hand selection. Hero should be folding preflop the significant majority of the time. Really.

Hero needs to evaluate the game and his table image. Often, Hero will be able to prosper as a 'nut peddler' - either holding the nut or a monster draw to the nuts. If this is true, Hero's hand selection should be biased towards nutish hands.

The decision to raise preflop vs limping should be weighted heavily by position (more so than in Hold'em) Open limping is a sound move if the table is passive but only with a good hand in early possition. Hero should embrace variance and raise good hands in position, he need not wait for double suited aces.

C-betting is something to do cautiously. Math is your friend - Hero will be fine limiting his c-betting if his range is plausible. This might be totally different if Hero's preflop raises thin the field to heads-up play.

Tight is right, preflop aggression is optional -=- DrStrange

5. Mojo1312

What about SPR? Can you give me an example?

6. DrStrange

DrStrange Creativity Alliance
    Supporter

SPR isn't as applicable to Omaha - SPR defines when one pair hands dominate vs speculative hands. Omaha hands are rarely won by one pair. The only time I am thinking in SPR terms is with AAxx hands where I can get most of my money in preflop. If our stacks are deeper, AAxx double suited was worth a raise preflop but becomes a fold post flop when Hero misses the flop. Naked AA just isn't good enough to continue in Omaha.

DrStrange

7. Arch99

Arch99 Well-Known Member

No limit Omaha plays smaller than pot limit Omaha. That's a bit counter-intuitive, but consider how easy - and lazy - it is to just say "pot" all the time. There's also social proof to consider; the thinking goes that it's called pot limit for a reason. Variance is a bit lower in NLO than PLO because of this.

Pre-flop, hand values are much closer together. A:spade:A:club:J:spade:T:club: is only 68/32 over Q:heart:9:club:6:diamond:3:spade:, the Omaha equivalent of seven-deuce. It's worthwhile to raise with wrap hands and other hands that have multiple ways to improve - A:heart:9:heart:8:club:8:spade: is always worth a raise and can be 3-bet in position. A hand like Q:club:Q:spade:8:diamond:6:heart:, though, is almost always a fold. (In the small blind, it's worth completing if you have a pocket pair that can plausibly flop top set even with terrible danglers.) It's much harder to pull a successful squeeze play in Omaha than HE, so if you 3- or 4-bet, better have the goods.

Post-flop, in a similar vein to what the Dr said, it's mostly about counting outs rather than "okay, I know I'm ahead now." Non-nut draws simply shouldn't be pursued and it's very difficult to justify getting aggressive with a made hand of less than top two pair. I'd also be happier betting top two than bottom set; bottom set has terrible RIO problems.

NLO is excellent training ground for PLO, but...

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jmg86CRBBtw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

8. spikeithard

spikeithard Well-Known Member
    Supporter

thats a new one lol never heard that before