Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Nickel-Dime-Quarter Games?

Discussion in 'Dealer's Choice Games' started by checkm8r, Aug 5, 2008.

1. checkm8r

checkm8r Well-Known Member

Does anyone play dealer's choice nickel-dime-quarter or penny ante games anymore? We used to play these back in the day.

If so, what do you use for antes, max bets, etc.? If I remember right, we used nickels for antes, quarter max bet on the early streets, .50 max bet on the late streets, and up to 3 raises (any street). These limits seem so low now. Those were the days! :laugh:

2. checkm8r

Forgot to mention: plastic inter-locking chips and plastic carousels!

3. mirageII

mirageII Well-Known Member

Can someone also give details of how the blinds & antes work in dealers choice games where the dealer antes for all.

In stud games I don't see a problem. The dealer just ante's for everyone and the game continues as normal with the bring-in.

What I don't understand is how the flop game works if the dealer is supposed to be posting the Ante/Blinds etc.

:?

4. __JR__

__JR__ Well-Known Member

All of these games I've ever played have been completely dealer's choice. He (infrequently she) could choose the game, ante, and stakes. Rotate, rinse, and repeat.

5. Jonah 99

Jonah 99 Well-Known Member

When we would do dealers choice, we'd set the timer (same one used for tournament blinds) for a half hour, then deal the game for that long, rather than having the game change every deal. Who ever had the deal when the timer went off picked the game for the next round, excluding players who had already picked (until everyone had picked, then start over)
    Sort of a randomized HORSE game, Ianother rule was you couldn't pick the same game back to back.
    As for bet levels, we used dime chips, se everything was either a 10 cent ante 20 min bet, or 20/40 cent blinds for hold em games.

6. CK15c

CK15c Faux Clay Nation

My friends and I have been playing $0.01/$0.02 NL Hold'em for several years. It seems as though my home game is dying with lack of participation this summer, but we always had fun. We used to have the buy-in range from $1 to $5, but this year I changed it from $0.40 to $2. I was also trying to get these guys to play bigger, like $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em, but my friends aren't really poker players, so the micro stakes appealed to them. I think I can get them to play $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em, but that's probably about it. I'd love if we could play some dealer's choice, or stud games, but these guys only know Hold'em :razz: .

7. checkm8r

I've seen the following proposed for dealer's choice games:

- the person that calls the game deals (and antes)

- if the dealer's position for the game he/she calls really doesn't matter (e.g., stud), the dealer just deals normally

- if the game he/she called gives the dealer an advantage (e.g., holdem), use a dealer button. This button only rotates each time one of these games gets chosen. The person calling the game still deals, but he passes cards out based on the dealer's button. hopefully this makes sense as I'm probably not explaining it clearly

8. tator2k

tator2k CCGTCC Member

We've done a few cash games like the following:

Use $5 chips as nickels

Everyone buys in for $10

We play modified dealer's choice. Meaning we use two buttons. One is the Dealer and the other is the player who picked the game.

The first dealer picks a from a list of games we decided upon before starting.

We play one orbit of that game and when the Dealer button returns to the first guy the Game Button moves to the next player and he selects a game and play continues.

This way you only have to changed gears every 7-8 hands vs every.

Our list of games include the following:

Holdem
    Ohama
    Razz
    Stud
    Pineapple
    3x Draw

Player decides on type of each game whether L, PL, NL, H/L ect.

9. Couga

Couga Creativity Alliance

The only Nickle Dime Quarter dealers choice games my buddies played back in the day were the crazy "Follow the Queen" "Baseball" "Acey Duecey (Between the Sheets)" "Rugged Cross" etc... A quarter was the biggest bet allowed and no max set on number of raises. Normally if two guys got in a raising war the rest of us would just hit them until they stopped.

The big pots came in the 'Replace the pot' games. $20 max replace which was HUGE money to us back then when we were only making $6.15 at Cougar Country (Grease burger joint, if you are ever in Pullman WA for a football game or whatever check them out. Gut bomb but you'll love it).

- Couga

10. beekeeper

beekeeper Creativity Alliance

Isn't that the truth? When I first started hosting tournaments, we played quarter ante dealer's choice games on the side for bust outs and after the tournaments. The games were wild and fun and it didn't matter if you lost a pot because for $5-$10 you could play for hours. Now we play "dollar poker," a game designed by a certain guy at our game who plays to make $ instead of for fun. Basically it's a $1-$5 spread limit hold'em game without blinds or antes--you only put money in if you want to play your cards. Now you need $50 on the side for the cash games.

11. checkm8r

I still like my normal moderate-stakes holdem poker, but I do miss some of the fun we had playing these wild games and low stakes. Yes, follow-the-queen, baseball, no-peek, etc. Times change, but it's good to think back now and again.

12. agalvan

agalvan Faux Clay Nation

I host/play a nickel-quarter dealer's game sometimes after our regular weekly tournament. First player chooses the game and the game chosen is played one hand for every player in the game (5 players - 5 hands; 8 players - 8 hands). After that round is complete, the next player chooses a game and we follow the same routine with that game.

Games are limited to the H.O.R.S.E. games, Omaha High, Crazy Pineapple, 2-7 Triple Draw Lowball (fixed limit only), 2-7 Single Draw Lowball (no limit only), Stud "Roll Your Own". For Hold'em players can choose Limit, Pot Limit, or No Limit. For Omaha players can choose Limit or Pot Limit. The Stud games are all Fixed Limit. The limits for the Fixed Limit games are $0.25 for the small bets and $0.50 for the big bets.

For stud games we do: $0.05 antes, $0.10 bring-in, $0.25 to complete

For blind games we do: $0.10 small blind and $0.25 big blind

13. jamby

jamby Creativity Alliance

Nickle-dime games are our mainstay. It's funny too because we're all gainfully employed professionals. It's just what we like and it keeps things very friendly. We mainly play .05/.10 NLHE ring games with $10 buy-ins and folks often go broke and buy back in multiple times in an evening. The pots, by the way, don't have much resemblance to the blinds. We also play nickle ante dealer's choice stud type games and like that a lot too. Always no limit as our players have trouble keeping track of rounds and limits. :wink:

14. indypoker

indypoker Well-Known Member

We play these some.

Dealer antes a nickel for every player in.

$0.75 max raise.

3 raises max.

15. gaber6

gaber6 Well-Known Member

We play .05-.10 NL dealer's choice after the tournament, with a choice of LIMIT being the game, but rarely do people make more than 10-20 bucks after 6-8 hours of poker.
    Some of the most fun games are the completely random ones like Indian Hold-em: Two cards on your forehead and play it out just like hold-em.
    Iron Cross: Probably a ton of variations of this, but it has to have a limit.
    A few variations of screw your neighbor, and pretty much any wild card game will help build the pot.
    Usually an auction, or bidding game works well too to get in cheap-out with with a lot.