Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

New local poker room.

Discussion in 'Home Game General' started by Nexttime, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Nexttime

Nexttime Well-Known Member

Posted with permission of the builder. Lots of photos. Great before and after.

rimdog About rimdog

2. Couga

Couga Creativity Alliance

This is just a place for friends right? The Proteges are sweet but I would be a little concerned about security if friends of friends are coming over.

But beside that, DAMN. Just DAMN!

Speachless. DAMNNN!

- Couga

3. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

Wow...that is sweet! Where is this place located again?? I might have to swing by on my next wine country trip!!

4. Button Potato

Button Potato World Series Final Table
    Lifetime Supporter

The barn evar!

5. Nexttime

Nexttime Well-Known Member

It's about a mile from my house. It's for friends only. No money is taken from the game. We all help out with cleanup, bring sodas, food, etc. The tables are built like tanks. The nice part about the built-in chip trays is that the top of the tray just slightly taller than 20 chips so it's easy to pile chips up into even amounts.

I just dropped off some new Kems. Just wanted to give people a chance to try something other than Copags for a change.

6. Mango

Mango Creativity Alliance

wow, thats pretty impressive

7. moki

moki Well-Known Member

Thanks for your kind words. I'm the owner of the place, it was a labor of love. I had this barn on my property, and we had a group of guys with no place to move our home game to, so... :)

Here are some more pictures of the place:

rimdog Blog Archive Completed Rimdog Barn pictures!

I'm not too worried about security, since I'm on a first name basis with everyone who comes... and we do have an ADT security system with cameras installed on the premises.

It's a bit off the beaten path, you can't even see it from the road, and from the outside, it just looks like a barn. As Nexttime stated, it's just a friendly game, no rake is taken, and everyone pitches in to keep it clean. It's not exactly a juicy target.

Any questions, feel free.

8. Mango

Mango Creativity Alliance

Moki - congratulations on the barn, i think everyone here would love to have a mancave (manbarn?) like that for themselves and their mates to hang out in and have alot of laughs.

It would certainly be a dream for me to have a room like that :)

9. moki

moki Well-Known Member

Thanks for your kind words... it worked out well, I think. The best part is that it is on my property, but separate from my house, so it keeps the wife happy too.

If people were parking outside our house on a regular basis, and the noise associated with a poker game... well, let's just say that my wife would not be too happy.

So it's good to have it as a separate building entirely from my house. The boys can go there and be boys, and not irritate the wife. :wink:

In terms of cost, the project was almost exactly in thirds:

1/3rd to build the foundation for and pave the road and parking lot
    1/3rd to do the actual barn renovation, framing, and interior
    1/3rd for the poker tables, chairs, chips, cable TV, fridge, etc. for the interior

The only real "surprise" was how much the road cost to put in. Not cheap, but worth it, IMHO.

BTW, Mango, I have been to Brissy... used to date someone who lived there. Beautiful city.

10. moki

moki Well-Known Member

Since this is a poker chip forum, these are the chips I ended up getting:

[​IMG]

2,000 total clay “protege” poker chips embossed with a cigar and cognac glass, with carrying cases and racks, in the following denominations: 1,000 ct. $1 chips, 500 ct. $5 chips, 300 ct. $25 chips, and 200 ct. $100 chips.

We use the $1 and $5 chips during regular games, and the rest of the chips during tournaments. It took a while to break the chips in to "get the edge off" but I love 'em so far. Some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simple, but classy. I'm sure there are nicer chips out there, but I'm happy with these.

11. moki

moki Well-Known Member

I should also mention the negatives:

-- No bathroom. Our policy is "go pee on a tree"... since we're remote enough, no one seems to mind.
    -- No hot water. We just have cold water running to the barn; I didn't feel like installing a boiler just to have warm water to wash our hands with.

The bathroom hasn't really been a problem... take a dump before you come, and pee on a tree. In addition to the expense that putting in a bathroom would entail ($20K minimum to do it right), I also have zero desire to be keeping the bathroom clean.

Hot water would be nice, but it isn't in our immediate plans. It's a bit of a clubhouse, we can handle just having cold water. We have a coffee machine that also makes hot water for tea, so it's no biggy really.

Besides, you need to have something to do in the future, right?

12. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

Moki.....welcome to Chiptalk.

I have to say....you are my kind of guy to hang out and play cards with!

Enjoy that labor of love!!

13. Laxbum4

Laxbum4 Well-Known Member

barn looks great. must be a great place to play. every guys dream.

where are you guys located?

enjoy it.

14. ovo

ovo World Series Chump
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow, Moki, I am impressed. You did a beautiful job. Wish I was on the east coast. So you only have 1,25,100, 5000 for your denoms ?
    I really like those tables too. I have an oval, but would love a hex or dec. I hope you will post some pics of your group having a good time at a game. Those are always enjoyable to see . thanks

Also, I was wondering how big your group of players is ?

15. moki

moki Well-Known Member

No, for chips we have 1, 5, 25, & 100. We use the 1's and 5's for our regular cash games ($1/$2 NL HE and $1/$3 HORSE)... the 25's and 100's are used in our monthly tournaments along with the 5's.

We ended up going with the 10 person hexagons because they just fit better in the room, and we were used to that style of table. Since it is a home game, we don't hire a dealer, everyone takes turns dealing, so it's a nice format table for that.

I should have taken pictures today, as we had a full house for our tournament, and then had 2 cash game tables going afterwards. Typically we have 8-10 people for the regular NL HE cash games, and 10-14 people for the limit HORSE night.

We have a pool of maybe 30-40 guys, with 14-20 regulars that show up at various times. More people seem to come to the monthly tournies.

16. moki

moki Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliment. We're in the Rochester, NY area.

17. ovo

ovo World Series Chump
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey Moki, another question, If you run the air cleaner, sucking out the smoke , does the heat go with it ?

And another, what is your chip breakdown for your tourney. It looks like you don't chip up your 5 dollar chips ?

18. moki

moki Well-Known Member

Yes, we do chip up both the $5 and the $25 tourney chips at the appropriate levels.

We use the Visage 300XT Poker Timer which takes care of all of this for you. Yeah, it's expensive, and largely a decorative piece as well, but the guys complained about not being able to watch football on the TV when we ran the tournament on software running on the TV screen (via computer)

We use a standard T1000 structure for the tournament, so it lasts 3 hours or so usually.

As for the air cleaner, it's actually just a whole house fan that sucks the air up, and a second fan mounted on the wall in the attic of the barn then sucks it outside. You're correct that on really cold days, or really warm days, it's a balance between keeping the air smoke-free, and keeping the temperature in. We just try to find a balance.

We looked at some very expensive air "scrubbing" systems, but in my experience, they don't work perfectly either... and a decent one cost upwards of $15,000 (and higher). A cigar shop I used to go to had these installed, and they never worked as well as the price implied they should.

19. musiclover_92

musiclover_92 Well-Known Member

that is one nice room, I WANT!

20. WolfPack

WolfPack Faux Clay Nation

the protege were actually designed here at CT.