Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

New Game?

Discussion in 'Dealer's Choice Games' started by Mac128k, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Mac128k

Mac128k Creativity Alliance

I have been thinking about creating a new game that involves mixing cards from two different colored decks.

I would take the aces and twos from say a blue deck and swap them with the ones in a red deck. This would have the effect of then letting the table that you either gave a 2 or A in your hand. I suspect it would be fun and stimulate a lot of action.

I also thought about using the jokers. If the player had the joker it would in effect be a dead card. This would force them to make a 5 card hand using only one hole card (or none if playing the board of course) if playing hold'em.

Has anyone tried this or heard of a game using this mechanic?

2. jamby

jamby Creativity Alliance

Sounds intriguing. I've never heard of doing this intentionally, but we've had a few (drunken?) deals where a player's hole cards from one round got mixed with the new round's deck. Of course, most players at the table didn't have a clue as to what those two differently colored cards were. :wink:

3. Mac128k

The idea came to me after we noticed a bent card in one of the decks. It was subtle but we made sure everyone knew that it was the 10 of clubs to be fair. So the rest of the night people were having a good time looking for it.

It was fun so I had the idea to create it on purpose :)

4. wafflestomper

wafflestomper Well-Known Member

1. It sounds like a fun idea.

2. Its funny to me that you didn't just get up and get a new deck of cards.

5. Mac128k

I only brought the one setup to the hosts house and the discovery came later in the night :)

6. Lottery Larry

Lottery Larry Well-Known Member

Lesson learned.

If I was going to do this on purpose, I'd make it at least three cards (2, 8, A) to cut down on people making it easier to assume pocket pairs. One downside of the gaps is that you know they aren't going for wrap straights... but you don't want to bunch them, either.

As training for hand-reading, based on betting patterns, this could be interesting... but it wouldn't gain too much, if they ALWAYS play drunk :happy:

7. StevenH72

StevenH72 Creativity Alliance

It does sound like fun, I like the Joker idea.

8. VARoadstter

VARoadstter Now just a loudmouth
    Lifetime Supporter

Not my particular cup of tea. If this were spread in a game I was playing I'd probably sit out. If you give it a go please do provide a follow-up of how it went, now it was received, and how it played. If there's some hidden goodness in the idea I'd love to hear about it.

9. trutan

trutan Well-Known Member

I would also add that the fewer cards that you do it with, the easier it would be to mess with the shuffle/deal.

10. zeno

zeno Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's the downside - you're essentially shuffling / dealing a marked deck. So, the onus is on the dealer to deal fair despite this. In a friendly game this might not be a problem.

It does sound like a cool idea, though!

11. Mac128k

It's a really friendly and casual game. Most guys barely know how to shuffle let alone bubble a card up :)
    We don't often get to play dealers choice actually. So it may be a while before I can try it out. Another game I play in is on hiatus until Feb. They are more likely to try it. I will report back how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback!

12. Sir Flopalot

Sir Flopalot Well-Known Member

A few months ago we started playing a new flop game that has elements of hold em and omaha low. Each person is dealt 3 cards pre-flop but before any UTG action everyone has to turn one of their cards over at the same time...then the game plays like a normal flop game. For high you can play 1, 2 or zero cards (ie play the board) but cannot play 3 cards...just like hold'em. For the low hand you have to play 2 cards and qualify 8 or better just like Omaha 8ob.

The game is played no-limit and has both the drawing elements of omaha combined with the aggressiveness of hold'em combined with strategy elements...favors skill over look. Lots of planning and strategy especially pre-flop when you decide what card to show...do you hide your pair and look to flop a set and ambush? do you show one of your paired cards knowing that most people expect you to hide your pairs so will not expect a set or FH if you hit the flop? do you show one of your suited connectors or not? do you show an A or a 2 to position a low hand? Lots of action in the game, even though it's no limit....since even if you have a set, you may not be that far ahead of the straight and/or flush draws :)

13. Lottery Larry

Hmmmm..... why the flexible card usage for high, but not low? I'm trying to think how it plays out, and if the game shifts the advantage to the low hands more than it should (one singleton As backs into a high much more easily).

14. Sir Flopalot

The high hand plays like a holdem hand but adds more draws; the low hand plays like an Omaha hand but lessens the draws since only three cards. Giving flexibility to the low to play 0, 1 or 2 cards makes a qualified low much easier (too easy IMHO) and people would then play a naked ace for low....it makes a made low much too powerful. If you played it that way then I think generally after a while people will only play if they have low cards given the power, but the way we play above a qualifying low happens less than 40% of the time. Also, playing like the above adds more elements of strategy as to what card you reveal...if you can play less than cards for low, you would never reveal an Ace or low card, and it would be very difficult to bluff having a low.

We also play the game above as three card holdem (still play max 2 cards); somewhat similar to pineapple and crazy pineapple but more draws since you keep all three cards and more strategy (given the revealation of a card you can plan to bluff even before the flop is bet...you just need to show the card that tells a convincing story) vs. just lucking out.

We prefer dealer games with bigger draws rather than wild card games since there are no hidden ambushes with pocket wild cards....not very fun when your natural straight flush loses to five 3s!

15. Lottery Larry

Perhaps. I guess the lesser low draws makes up for the single Ace or King flush hits, allowing extra backdoors that you normally wouldn't have.

It still feels as if the lows are a little stronger, given that the saving high only takes one card (out of 3) in your hand.

I originally thought as you do, that making a single-card low would give too many opportunities. But, with the less-frequent lows, and with Ace-only lows pretty vunerable to two-card lows, I'm not sure I still do.

I'll have to think about that one. Evidently you've found that it plays reasonably well, compared to O/8 ?

16. Sir Flopalot

The problem with a one card low is that (i) no body would ever show an ace; and (ii) there are more splitting of the low hands so a made high hand can drive out the nut lows if there are more than 2 people in the pot. Holding an ace becomes almost mandatory for a starting hand as it becomes very powerful so you may see less multiway flops.

It does play well vs. Omaha as it lets made hands on the flop be aggressive while still allowing draw opportunities, whereas in Omaha a made hand on the flop is likely behind the draws unless the hand is a full house. The interesting aspect of the game really is in deciding what card to show up front as that affects your bluff and hidden hand potentials.

The idea is for a game that plays like Omaha as well as HE, wheras allowing just one card for low is like playing split holdem and holding an ace becomes too powerful.