Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Need Help!

Discussion in 'Home Poker Rules' started by The_Outlaw, Jan 20, 2009.

?

What should I do with these ball busters who won't respect the house rules?

1. Take them off the invite list and replace them.

52.2%
  2. Give them one more chance to show some respect to the house rules.

43.5%
  3. Ruules? We don't need no stinking ruules!

4.3%
  1. The_Outlaw

The_Outlaw Well-Known Member

I need your advice Chiptalkers.

I have a few regulars at my home games who are staring to 'bust my balls' when it comes to my house rules for proper chip stacking.

I want everyone to keep their chips stacked color with color, big denoms in front visible to everyone so that every player can easily see everyone elses chip stack. But these two dudes want to keep their chips in a messy pile with their big denom chips hidden underneath the smaller denoms.

These two non related guys are giving me a hard time with bull$hit excuses like;

" Waaah! My arms are too big and I'll keep knocking the chips over."
    or
    "Waaah! Are you gonna make sure that everyone else is following the same rule or are you just singling me out?"
    or
    "Waaah! You are taking the poker game way too seriously, I don't care if I lose a lousy $20.00."

And so forth.

I am really starting to get pi$$ed off about this. This is my house. My poker room. And the house rules.
    Why can't these guys respect that!?

What say you?
    Advice?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. unvmyset

unvmyset Well-Known Member

I, for one, don't see any problem with the rules you have. Some people just don't get it, I've got one or two of those here too. As far as I'm concerned, you should stick to the rules, and if they don't like it they can leave. Keep trying to reason with them, maybe they'll catch on soon:)

3. Pondpuck

Pondpuck Active Member

I don't see a problem with that ether... I have the same house rule... chips stacked so everyone can see (approx.) what you have left... :1white:

We had a couple of incidents where they were 'asked' to follow the rules, and told that if they didn't, ''Fell free to leave''! I guess we are playing with a bunch of good guys, since it's never been an issue since... :cool:

When a new guy joins our group for the first time, there always seems to be someone who mentions the rules to him politely before the game or during the first few hands and it makes me not look like the sherif!!! :)

After all, we're playing for fun and a night away from the family and work. No need to argue at the table!

4. machinelf

machinelf Creativity Alliance

Throw the bums out! :mad:

5. PhilLaFond

PhilLaFond Well-Known Member
    Premium Supporter

Those rules are extremely reasonable!! I wouldn't have them back, if it was my game.

Phil

6. SugarV

SugarV Well-Known Member

Unless you're playing with this guy:
    [​IMG]

Tell him his arms aren't too big, he's an idiot, and to follow the rules.

7. The_Outlaw

The_Outlaw Well-Known Member

Haha! :happy:

I needed that laugh. Very funny!

8. cdnmoose

cdnmoose Well-Known Member

Request a chip count every time. After the game slows to a crawl, they will get the point. If they refuse and try to give you an approximate number, tell them you will cash them out "approximately" short a few dollars.

9. guinness

guinness Degen Gatekeeper
    Lifetime Supporter

A local game here issues out suspensions like they do in professional sports. Break the rules then the host will announce to everyone (at the offending game) that so-in-so is not invited to the following weeks game.

One guy (obnoxious player) was suspended for 3 games. Apparently he tamed down dramatically when he returned.

The suspension rule in that house is an open public one and is never a private matter. I think you just need to be public about the rules and warn people that they are approaching suspension or indefinitely not invited.

10. jamby

jamby Creativity Alliance

If me, I'd talk to them each privately and let them know that you are serious. Also tell them that one more infraction means they're out. Then follow through if need be.

11. timmy67

timmy67 Well-Known Member

I would give them one more chance to shape up and follow the rules. Especially if they are good guys. If they act like douche bags every game then this is a good time to boot their arses out and replace them with someone with more respect. Do they ever have you over for a game? Or is your home game it? If you are the only one who has ponied up the $$ for chips, table, chairs etc, then turf 'em. Good luck.

12. UW85

UW85 Chipaholic
    Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    I echo jamby -- talking to them separately will drive home how much it means to you but it will also tell them that you think they're important enough to keep around (as opposed to just kicking them out). Ultimately it's YOUR house -- if they can't live with it, don't get upset in the least bit, just tell them that unfortunately they've chosen to remove themselves from the game and they will be missed. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who does not have enough respect for a fairly straight forward house rule like this, can go start their own home game. Best of luck -- stick to your guns.

13. ipgyst

ipgyst Well-Known Member

Ha ha this is awesome.

I'm going to play the metagame now. My question is this - do they lose money? And if so, do they lose enough that you're willing to put up with the hassle? If they win, it's a great excuse to kick them out, no questions asked. And if they break even then they are pretty much dead weight as well.

14. Couga

Couga Creativity Alliance

Either don't invite them anymore. Or tell them they can not move allin. The most they can raise is the pot at any given time.

- Couga

15. Grumbar

Grumbar New Member

I have a hard time kicking a losing player out of the game, it really sucks to do that. But if you don't enforce the rules consistently, you will lose a lot of players. We had a lady playing at our game (teacher, acting naive, religious) who I started receiving complaints about. We run two tables and she generally showed up late so she was at the other table more often than not. I heard that she would occasionally put her bet right in front if her and if no one raked it into the pot and she lost she would drag it back into her stack. I also heard when she was dealing and in the hand she would riffle the cards to try to get a peek at what was coming next. I wasn't informed of these things when they happened, so I wasn't able to intercede. I keep track of what everyone buys in for and what everyone cashes out for, so I know who is a winning player and who is a losing player, and she was a consistently losing player. So even if she was cheating, she sucked at it.

One of our regulars has a game about once a month and I was at his game which she was also attending. When several people left and he was combining tables he went over to that table and started cashing out those who were leaving and stacking the chips that were cashed out in the middle of the table. She volunteered to put the chips that had been cashed out away (something that I wouldn't ever allow at my game) and came to the combined table with twice as many chips as she left the other table with. She was almost out of chips at the other table, under $20 and came to the combined table with just under $40. But, three different people had seen her chip stack when that table had broken and noticed the difference in her chip count at the new table. She was called out on it and gave some pretty lame excuses in my mind. The host allowed her to play and took her off his list. Unfortunately, she is also no longer invited back to my house. Even though she is a losing player even when she is cheating, I just can't allow cheaters to play in my game. If I do, then other people might get the idea that cheating is something that is allowed and there are probably other players who are actually good at it.

Same thing for anyone who violates any of my rules. I will be happy to explain the rules to them, even the reason for the rule. If they refuse to comply with my rules, they simply have to find another place to play. Even if they are feeding money into your poker game by consistently losing, if you don't enforce the rules with one player, then others will try to break the rules as well.