Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

My own Matsui or BG tourney set?

Discussion in 'Custom Chips' started by surferb, Jun 24, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. You're crazy to get rid of your Paulsons for custom Matsuis

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Right on - go with what you like, a large Custom Matsui Tourney set

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. No need to sell the Paulsons. Buy them both :-)

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. surferb

surferb ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Does anyone know what it takes (min, overhead, etc) to order a custom Matsui or BG set? BG chips are my absolute favorite, but I assume it's not possible under GPI. What about with Matsui? I'm thinking of tourney chips, preferably with oversized denoms and plaques. I love my Zen set. I wish I'd gotten a piece of the Matsui WSOP replica GB.

I've accumulated >15k chips, mostly Paulsons, many that have appreciated considerably. I'm finding that I really like plastic chips - Bud Jones, Matsui, and BG. I'm thinking that I may be inclined to sell chips/sets to fund a large custom order. Really all I "need" is to keep a Paulson cash set and a nice custom plastic tourney set.

Can I get in for $5k? $10k? Should I be starting a GB or waiting for a GB instead?

2. ledavatar

ledavatar Well-Known Member

For higher-end plastics, I believe your only choices are Matsui or Abbiati. Both of them are fantastic, though I think Abbiati chips are softer and in my opinion are more like the B&G chips than Matsui (slightly harder). Abbiati's edges are also more rounded/chamfered, like B&G, though I'm not sure if that is an option with Matsui chips.
    http://www.abbiati.it/products/jetons-3/

I would love a set of Bud Jones V7 or B&G chips myself, but they are all under the GPI umbrella and it is not possible unless you manage to convince them with a one-off 200,000 chip order or something.

I think you will be much more satisfied in starting your own GB than waiting for one that will frustratingly not appeal to you and out of your control altogether on pricing, timing, etc. It will be expensive for set-up charges and artwork, but with a group buy your costs will be down. I looked into Abbiati chips a LONG TIME AGO (2005). Back then, the minimum per style is 1000 chips and minimum order is 5000 chips. Prices were 1.33 Euro / chip for the higher end ones. This may have changed since, especially the price.

Also check out this GB from back in the day.
    http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threa...-abbiati-chips-owls-only-update-4-5-06.16752/

The most frustrating thing you will hear at games with a high-end plastic set is, "You paid HOW MUCH per chip? How are these worth 20x more than my dice chips? It's not even REAL CLAY!"

As for whether to sell your sets or not, it's not really need, it's just frame of mind. You could make do with much cheaper sets. I've sold sets that I've regretted, but I tell myself that if I didn't sell those chips, I wouldn't have gotten other sets. At some point your boxes and boxes of chips will wind up pissing off your significant other, so sit down one day and set your own limits on your collection and know your own limits.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  3. pltrgyst

pltrgyst Well-Known Member

NOW you tell me. Sheesh.