Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

My next tattoo

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by K ALL IN 9, Oct 12, 2012.

1. K ALL IN 9

K ALL IN 9 Well-Known Member

On May 13, 2012, I lost my dad to Kidney Cancer and I've been wanting to get a tattoo in his memory, but being stationed overseas and the crappy exchange rate, it was going to be expensive. But I'm returning to the States on Tuesday for my brother's wedding next friday so I decided to get it when I'm home. The tattoo is hand drawn by me.

The Renal Cell Carcinoma awareness ribbon is Kelly Green and it's probably gonna go on the left side of my body where his first kidney was removed. I also had a letter from him that he wrote to me when i was in Air Force BMT and was able to incorporate what he signed in that letter, into the tattoo

Let me know what you guys think

[​IMG]

2. rhinton7078

rhinton7078 Well-Known Member

Very Nice. Some people regret getting a tattoo...it sounds like you will appreciate your's every time you see it! Show us how it turns out!

3. stocky

stocky Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Very nice, I'm a big fan of tattoos but even more so when they have a lot of meaning like that one does.

4. eastwik

eastwik Well-Known Member
    Premium Supporter

This is such an awesome idea man! Very thoughtful. You'll be so glad you did this because it clearly means so much to you.

5. UW85

UW85 Chipaholic
    Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    My first thought was, WOW, your pop was only 3 yrs older than me! So sorry to lose him so young.

As for the graphic, and trust me I have ZERO ability to draw, but somehow the date outside the ribbon I'm thinking might look better if it were on the ribbon itself. So you'd move the 6/13/58 down, to the right so that it looks like it's written on the ribbon itself and same for the other date (down, to the left). Not sure why I think that would look better, but maybe you can quickly sketch a rough draft & see what ya think.

Just one idea. Best of luck and thank you very much for serving this country.
    U-dub

6. K ALL IN 9

Something like this:

[​IMG]

And thanks for the kind words. Everyone not just UW

7. AlbinoDragon

AlbinoDragon Well-Known Member
    Supporter

A beautiful tribute to one you have lost and was an important part of your life!

I see enough random tattoos that to see one that is actually thought out, planned and has meaning makes them even more special, even if (and especially if) they mean nothing to anyone else. The way I see it, a tattoo is personal and not for the approval of anyone else. That's part of the reason why mine is (and will continue to be) easily covered but also easily displayed if I feel the need.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, but this is a remembrance that will be with you forever, and can serve to share that memory with others.

Thanks for sharing the story and design with us! Please make sure we see the final (inked) version.

8. UW85

UW85 Chipaholic
    Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Actually I was thinking the birth date on the left side of the ribbon going up, and the other date going down on the other side of the ribbon -- gosh I wish I could draw so I could sketch it out. Then again, I don't know if there is room on the right/down side of the ribbon. Furthermore I'm feeling VERY nervous having said anything at all. Meaning if you change it, you might not like it!

However since I started this thought, if on your second drawing there you remove the death date and move in the birth date to where it was, then on the what I'm trying to describe as the "down side" -- the part of the ribbon after it goes up, twists and comes back down, place the death date along the inside margin but written with the month first (highest up), day, and year (lowest towards the bottom). Maybe I'll try and draw it later. I rode the "short bus" when it came to art in school!
    :)

9. JeromyinWV

JeromyinWV ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Whatever you do, get referrals and look at their past work. Look for similar tattoos as not all tattoos are the same. Just because they do a great snake or skull does not mean they can do great on this line work and fill and text. I think it would look cool to have a little something at the bottom to compliment the text but it is a nice clean design. let us see the finished work.

10. Headstone

Headstone Well-Known Member

Ask the artist, they will sketch it up and let you know what looks good, what they've done before and so on.

I'd reserve my opinion about what to do, and add a suggestion from what I see & what can be done.
    Something looks out of place with the dates. Maybe do them in bold in negative, just the skin showing through.

Great tribute btw. I have an idea for a friend who passed many years ago. I might even bring it here for suggestions. Good Luck.

11. K ALL IN 9

I got the tattoo done last night. The pain wasn't unbearable but it hurt like hell. I'm very pleased with the result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. EmptyPocs

EmptyPocs all chips, no cash
    Lifetime Supporter

looks like to took right to you, not even a lil bit sore or red, very vivid :cool:

13. Redbelly

Redbelly Lifetime Supporter
    Lifetime Supporter

"I'm very pleased with the result"

Looks great! Sorry for your loss... My Father left in 2006... Some days are painfully reflective. I hope your "memorial" brings you comfort.

My best to you!

14. links_slayer

links_slayer Master of the 3-Putt Par
    Lifetime Supporter

Great tribute to your dad. I think the tattoo turned out great.

15. MGM GRAND

MGM GRAND Well-Known Member

Well done on drawing up the tattoo, it came out very nice. Excellent tribute.