Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Modiano Cards Review

Discussion in 'Poker Gear Reviews' started by Wylecoyo, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Wylecoyo

Wylecoyo Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Manufacturer: Modiano
    Retailer(s): Cara Gails and Poker Shopping.com
    Average Price: $14.95 for regular set & 19.95 for the "deluxe" set which includes a plastic box and 4 cut cards.
    Material: 100% PVC plastic.
    Member Review by: Wylecoyo
    As I have previously stated, I am completely addicted to plastic playing cards and for the last three or four months have been on a quest to discover the "perfect" setup. The latest addition to my ever growing collection is a set of Modiano Bike Trophy style cards. ​
    Price
    Modiano card sets are available in two basic types of sets: standard sets which simply include two decks of cards and “deluxe” sets which are identical to the standard sets but also include a plastic storage case, 4 good quality cut cards, and a cardboard sleeve which fits over and helps protect the card case (see pictures below). A standard setup will run you $14.95 while the deluxe set is $19.95. I upgraded to the deluxe set and, even though $5.00 is a little steep for what you get, I am very happy I did because I hate the idea of storing plastic cards in a cardboard box which will doubtlessly die long before the cards themselves do.​
    Feel
    These cards have a very nice feel which is similar to Dal Negro’s but not quite as textured. They are stiffer than Copag’s and most of my players have experienced less difficulty handling them because their firmness and texture, while not as pronounced as Dal Negros, are still more akin to paper cards than Copag’s tend to be. I like the apparent stiffness these cards display and after several games they don’t seem to be loosening up much and I anticipate they will retain their nice out of the box feel for quite some time.​
    Stacking
    Like all of my other plastic cards, the Modiano’s have a tendency to be somewhat slippery and the uppermost cards in the deck will generally slide or travel when left unattended on the table. This problem can be minimized by simply pressing down on the deck when placing it on a flat surface in order to press out the air in between the cards and create enough surface adhesion to prevent unintentional slippage between the uppermost cards. In comparison to my other cards, the Modiano’s are very similar to Copag’s in this regard because, unlike Dal Negro’s, their lack of texturing makes this problem more pronounced. ​
    Sound
    As with my Dal Negro’s, the stiffer Modiano card body provides a deeper tone when shuffled as compared to the more flexible Copag cards which tend to have a slightly higher tone. These are very nice to listen to when they are being shuffled.​
    Looks
    The overall appearance and visual quality of these cards are very similar to Dal Negro’s and both decks are almost identical in terms of their fonts, pips, and styling. The colors and saturation of the inks is very consistent and they are very easy on the eye. I am a big fan of the font and rounded pip styles used on these cards. Modiano does not offer the dark-red security inks Dal Negro does; however, I do not consider this a deficiency as the bright red inks are much easier to distinguish and really jump off of the bright white card bodies. The card backs are very nicely detailed and, although I don’t fully appreciate the bike motif as much as many other appear to, they are still very nice looking cards.

The Bike Trophy Modiano's come in both poker and bridge sizes, both of which feature standard indexes with 4-pips on the card faces. Other alternatives include the poker sized, jumbo index "Blackjack" style which has only two pips and the "classic" design featuring a two-pip standard index which only comes in the bridge size. ​
    Security/Originality
    Like any other plastic card on the market, these cards are mass-produced and easily obtainable to anyone, so security and originality are somewhat questionable. Modiano brand cards are somewhat more difficult to find (I only know of a few sites where they can be purchased) so they may be slightly more secure than Copag’s, Kem’s, or Dal Negro’s, but not much more so.​
    Durability
    As far as the cards themselves are concerned, I have not had any problems whatsoever and, as is the case with any quality set of plastic cards, in terms of home game usage they should sustain many years of usage without significant deterioration. Storage is another issue as the standard Modiano setup comes housed in a cardboard box which will not last anywhere near as long as the cards it houses. As previously mentioned, for an additional $5.00 you can upgrade to the “deluxe” set which adds a nice plastic storage box, 4 cut cards, and a cardboard sleeve for help protect the case. The included cut cards are also fairly heavy duty and quite nice and, unlike some of the cheaper quality ones you will find in the online market, will not allow the bottom card of the deck to show through. One thing to keep in mind is that the storage box included with bridge sized cards is the same exact one the poker sized cards come with, which means your bridged sized cards will not fit the case nearly as well. In all honesty, due to the case design, neither size of card will fit snuggly in the case and will tend to rattle around quite a bit. Despite the loose fit of the cards, the center divider is well designed and will prevent the two decks from commingling even under travel conditions. The case is much larger than the one included with Copag or Kem sets because of how the case is constructed. Unlike most card cases, the Modiano storage box has a hinged top which when opened will lift the top edge of the cards out of the base to allow for easy removal (see pictures below). I do like the Modiano case, but it seems to be more fragile than the Kem or Copag boxes and would probably not survive being dropped from any great height.​
    Reviewers Comments
    In all I really like my Modiano cards and find them to be very similar to my Dal Negro’s in every way except for their smoother texture. If I had to rank all of my current cards by manufacture, these would fall out in second place – slightly behind Dal Negro and slightly ahead of Copag. Don’t get me wrong, I love all three brands and each has slight advantages over the other, but I like the stiffer feel and nice visual stylings the Dal Negro and Modiano’s share. On the downside, Modiano’s are somewhat harder to find than the other brands and if you ever damage or lose a card you would probably be stuck having to replace the entire set.​
    Pictures
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  2. whataboutj

whataboutj TAG extrodinare

Re: Modiano Cards

Modiano Cards (4 PIP in Bridge and Black Jack/Poker sizes)
    Purchased: Cara Gails www.caragails.com
    Price: $30 plus shipping for 6 decks (Standard set up - no plastic holder)

Pros:
    • The cards do not degrade, bend, and warp after a couple games like paper cards do
    • Even though they are plastic cards they feel and play like paper cards
    • The cards are much firmer than other plastic cards I have owned - They are MUCH firmer than Copag cards
    • I do not encounter sliding or spilling of the cards when they are sitting on the table in a stack (I always have this issue with my Copags)
    • The design on the back of the cards is a classic design
    • The four PIP type of cards are great because you can see the cards regardless of how a player lifts the corners (great for left and right hand players)
    • The Bridge size cards are great for non-poker games (Hearts, Spades, Trump, etc) because they are not so big that the overwhelm your hands when you have a "fan of cards" to look at - The Black Jack/Poker size cards are great for .......poker :)
    Cons:
    • The cardboard box that the cards come in does not last anywhere near as long as the cards do. After a couple of games the boxes I have do not stay closed very well. I would recomend spending the extra money to get the Modiano plastic card box for them