Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

May the odds forever be in your favor!

Discussion in 'GameOnChipCompany.com Offers' started by GameOnChipCompany, Oct 7, 2013.

1. GameOnChipCompany

GameOnChipCompany Gold Sponsor

Media:
    You've been waiting for it and here it is! The rules and details to our 39mm design contest!

CONTEST RULES:

Eligibility - Participation in the Contest is open to all new and existing ChipTalk members. Limit one design submission per member, per stage.

The Contest will consist of 3 stages using our 39 mm ceramic chip and the following denominations: $1, $5, $25, $100, $500, $1,000 and $5,000.

• Stage 1: Chip Face Wrap Design – There will be a call for contestant submissions Monday, October 07, 2013. All submissions must be received by Monday, October 14, 2013. After that, all seconded contestant submissions will go on to the voting rounds. A prize will be awarded to the winning contestant Friday, October 18, 2013.

• Stage 2: Chip Rolling Edge Design– There will be a call for contestant submissions Monday, October 21, 2013. All submissions must be received by Friday, October 25, 2013. All seconded contestant submissions will go onto the voting rounds. A prize will be awarded to the winning contestant Friday, November 1, 2013.

• Stage 3: Overall Chip Design – There will be a call for contestant submissions via email for the overall chip design phase. Design submissions must use the existing face wrap and rolling edge designs of the previous round winners. (To be provided.) Once all design submissions are collected, there will be a simultaneous unveiling on Tuesday, November 12, 2013. All seconded contestant submissions from this unveiling will go onto the voting rounds. On Monday, November 25, 2013 a prize will be awarded to the top three contestants, and, at GOCC’s sole discretion, a large sample of the top finisher’s designs may be made available to the general public for their own custom chips via GOCC’s website.

Additionally, any interested ChipTalk members will be able to pre-purchase chip sets (300-chip minimum) of the winning design at a discounted price for a period of 30-days from the announcement of the Contest winner. Funds for all pre-buy orders will be collected at time of order.
    • It is anticipated that pre-buy orders will ship mid December.
    • Being a pre-buy where the orders occur now and the chips ship in a few months, samples are not available.
    • This pre-buy offer is available to all ChipTalk members, regardless of their level of participation in the Contest.
    • Acceptable methods of payment are PayPal, Visa, MC, AMEX, and Discover.

Prizes
    Face Wrap Design (1 prize - 300 custom chips)
    Rolling Edge Design (1 prize - 300 custom chips)
    Overall Chip Design (3 prizes – 1,000, 500, and 300 custom chips)
    Each winner can choose to from the top three overall designs for their chip set.

Full and exclusive rights to design submissions belong to GOCC – By submitting a design to the Contest, contestants are giving the rights to their design to GOCC. The full and exclusive rights of all design submissions will remain the property of GOCC, and may be utilized for any business purpose at the sole discretion of GOCC.

2. tim722

tim722 Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of Stage 3? If a face and an edge have already been chosen, then isn't that the final chip design?

It sounds like people that submit a design in stage 3 aren't really designing anything, since the other two stages will have already had a winner.

Please clarify.

Also, should we post our entries here, email them, post them on GOCC website, etc?

3. links_slayer

links_slayer Master of the 3-Putt Par
    Lifetime Supporter

"Design by Committee" (e.g. Rolling Edge 1 is outstanding by itself as is Face Deisgn 2 but they look like garbage together) approaches rarely work.

Best of luck with the contest. I hope you end up with something that your company feels will sell well.

4. tim722

tim722 Well-Known Member

Just not understanding why there wouldn't just be one contest, to design an entire chipset, and have people vote for the winner.

Also, I agree with links.

Picking one face and then one edge, and then having another stage where people can submit a design based on the previous winners? It sounds too convoluted to me.

5. kuat

kuat Well-Known Member

Agree with the one design winner. Also you need to include either a .25 or a .50 chip, or both.

6. ranger764

ranger764 Well-Known Member

Quarter chip for the win. $.25!:cool:

7. BGinGA

BGinGA Banned

Tough crowd, those chiptalkers. :)

Thanks for the contest GOCC, hope it generates a ton of interest and resultant business for ya.

I do agree with most of the other posters so far, gotta say. Don't quite understand the purpose of phase 3, unless it's to give everybody a reasonable chance of winning even if they don't have mad design skillz or tools (which is most people). In which case, it makes perfect sense, and is quite the generous nod to the greater number of potential customers. Adding a 25c chip to the design parameters would be perfect -- gives you the full 8-chip gambit (25c thru $5000) of which nearly all potential cash set and tournament set sales are comprised.

But hey, it's a free contest, about designing custom high-end chips, with custom-designed high-end chips as prizes! Seriously, how bad could it be?!!!

Thanks again to our newest and very active CT forum sponsor, and good luck to everybody who chooses to participate.

8. ovo

ovo World Series Chump
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    sounds cool, but I agree with others, you need a frac

9. Mr. Cheese

Mr. Cheese Well-Known Member

Looks like a cool contest

10. GameOnChipCompany

Media:
    Thank you everyone for the comments. As you have seen in the past we enjoy your feedback and try to give you what you ask for. So the 25¢ chip is now in play.

Moving on to the phases. The idea is to have the designs build off of each other. So once the winner of stage one has been decided you create edges that will fit that design. The same for stage three. You will have the rolling edge and face wrap/edge spots to work from, you will design the face that will best fit with the edge and wrap.

In the future I'm sure we will have a completed chip design contest where you will submit all the elements and one winner will be named.

Have fun with it! Please post your submissions to this thread as voting will start on Monday the 14th!

11. chipshippie

chipshippie Creativity Alliance

Way too short timeframe! A really good ceramic artwork need time... Just my 2c!

12. tim722

tim722 Well-Known Member

I think I'm confused about what a face wrap is. I understood the face wrap to be the face design for the chip. Can you explain in more detail?

thanks

13. GameOnChipCompany

Media:
    Hi Tim,
    Hopefully this will help.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

14. ski_ex5

ski_ex5 Well-Known Member

Sincere thanks for the contest. Absolutely no offense intended, but I'm still confused. For starters, two questions:

1) You haven't stated this explicitly, but if Stage 1 is for "Face Wrap" design, and Stage 2 is for "Rolling Edge" design, is Stage 3 when the "Face" designs are submitted?

2) If submissions are to be posted to this thread, are they to be posted in the form of a bitmapped image, or vector, or other? In either case, what file format should be used? In the case of bitmap, what range of resolution/dpi is acceptable?

Thanks.

15. GameOnChipCompany

Media:
    Yes, that is correct, the Stage 3 designs are to be submitted after the first two winners have been announced. We will provide the images for the first two stages so that you can work off of them to make a complete design. That will happen the week of November 4th, most likely that Monday.

As for question two, you can post the images here however you'd like. Once the winner is picked we will then ask for the vector version of the file to be sent to us.

Hope that helps, please let us know if you have any additional questions and good luck!

16. ski_ex5

I was excited about this contest, as I really like the GOCC samples I received. They have pretty much the same feel as classic Chipcos, but what really caught my eye was the improved resolution of the artwork on the chip face. Fine lines and text are razor sharp. Most impressive is that the red "GO" diamond almost appears to be recessed under glass because the surrounding grey gradient is so smooth - it's a very cool illusion. Kudos!

I hope this doesn't break any rules, but along with a pic of my (Stage 1) FACE WRAP submission, I've also provided an example pic of what I would use for the (Stage 3) FACE if the Stage 1 submission made it to the final round.

SeaSide_Chip_ALL_no_labels_471.png

SeaSide_Chip_ALL_471.png

Most ceramics tend to be pretty busy, with a lot of fine detail. I thought I'd try for a different look, and wanted to do something with a beach theme. For the "FACE WRAP", I took the simplicity and somewhat muted colors from high end clay chips, and used edge spots inspired by the B&G plastics. Colors on the faux inlay "FACE" are more vibrant (any color is fair game on printed inlays for clay chips!), and give a nod to a South Florida sports team. I did my best to include a reasonably accurate thin white edge as is mostly standard on Chipco/GOCC ceramics.

Chip names are below, along with ASM clay color names for a rough reference:

0.25 - Surf (base: Blue / spots: Imperial Blue, Light Blue)
    1. - Palm (base: White / spots: Green, Light Chocolate)
    5. - Fire Coral (base: Mandarin Red / spots: White, DG Pink)
    25. - Sea Grape (base: Green / spots: Light Green, Light Blue)
    100. - Deep Sea (base: Black / spots: Retro Blue, Purple, Retro Lavender)
    500. - Sea Urchin (base: Purple / spots: White, Retro Lavender)
    1000. - Sun (base: DG Yellow / spots: Yellow, White)
    5000. - Beach Ball (base: Arc Yellow / spots: White, Imperial Blue)
    NCV (just for fun) - Tar Spot (base: Charcoal / spots: Black)

I know that all this probably breaks countless rules and protocol for ceramics design, but I'm just a noob, so I claim ignorance! I've only been collecting chip sets for less than a year, and this is my first try at design. I'd really appreciate any constructive criticism and suggestions!

Thanks.

Ski

p.s. I edited the post above to include the 5000. chip which I somehow forgot to create for the original post. I also added an NCV chip just for fun.

p.p.s. OK, so my new "Sun" chip was rather fugly, so I did an edit and replaced it.

p.p.p.s. Just for fun, here are some extra chips for NCV, bounty, bonus, icons, secondaries, or whatever...

SeaSide_Chip_extras_471.png

a. Dolphin (base: Imperial Blue / spots: Arc Yellow, White, Dark Blue)
    b. Bikini Sunburn (base: DG Pink / spots: White, Pink)
    c. Lime Slice (base: Dark Green and DG Green / spots: White)
    d. Sky (base: Light Blue / spots: White)
    e. Hibiscus (base: Dark Green / spots: Green, Mandarin Red, DG Yellow)
    f. Seaweed (base: Dark Blue / spots: Light Green)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  17. MrChips

MrChips Well-Known Member

Ski, I love that design.

18. ski_ex5

Thanks much!

Ski

19. Rush4Rod

Rush4Rod Well-Known Member

When is the dead line for face wrap design submissions?

Do I have until 11:59 PM EDT?

20. toad94

toad94 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Skinny face wrap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]