Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Looking for a designer to assist with my custom labels

Discussion in 'Custom Chip Design - Request For Hire' started by Rome, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

I have bounced back and forth a dozen times after my Milanos came in with a major thickness failure.

I decided to look into custom labels for my new chips, whatever they end up being. Seems some places can do them for a reasonably cheap price, and there are chips like the Nexgen pro classics that are very cheap and come ready for labels.

My nickname for almost everything in my life is "Rome", so I wanted to design a basic/classic looking label playing off my nickname's theme. Rome.
    Things I wanted:
    1.) Roman looking cap letters. Found a free font online that I liked.
    2.) A Centurion helmet logo on the chip somehow. I started with it completely inside the "O" in Rome, but it was too small to even see. Then I decided to tweak the helmet picture to make it more rounded, and make it look kind of like an "O" in itself. Came out ok, so I decided to replace the "O" entirely with the helmet logo.
    3.) Roman style laurel wreath in the center showcasing the face value of the chip.
    4.) Cool poker room name on the chip, something that fits the theme. Colosseum is too long and too cliche. Poker Arena seemed to fit well without any delusions of grandeur about my poker room ^_~
    5.) More theme stuff without getting cluttered or flashy on the label. Then it hit me... Roman Numerals! Might be a little too over the top, but I can't help but love it! Below is my mockup for my $5 red chip.

Here's what I came up with. All I have to work with is microsoft paint and microsoft word. So this was a lot of cutting and pasting and rearranging for even such a simple design. I'm sure someone with quality software could tweak this and make it really great for my chips!

I really like how my rookie mockup came out, but I want this to be my be-all-end-all set of chips, discussing with/hiring a designer seems like a good idea. Please contact me if you would like to work on this project.

Anyways, take a look!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly, I tried to use this chipmaker I found online, but I couldn't get it to resize correctly. Thus, it doesn't look right, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

I have different ideas slightly for my cash game set vs my tourney set. Cash game set pictured. I think I want the Laurel wreath to be shiny gold on all denoms. I want the background color to match the main chip color. I want the Rome Poker Arena text to match one edge spot color, and the denom value to match the other edge spot color.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

You're already a long way further than many people start, with an idea. You have something to show the designer. That would probably remove one or two iterations of the design process. Good luck, can't wait to see the chips!

3. QuiQuog

QuiQuog Well-Known Member

The hourglass mold looks like it will be a good fit with the design. Too bad the roman mold is no longer in existence.

4. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

Thanks for the encouraging words!

5. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

Yeah Roman mold was great.

Although in total honesty there's no way I can afford custom made chips themselves, I only have a budget for custom labels on premade chips. I'm thinking either Nexgen Pro classics or depending on the budget needed for the label creation, maybe Progen 80's or a similar label-ready china clay chip.

6. TexRex

TexRex Well-Known Member

7. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation! I have added him to the list of people I have contacted about pricing and availability etc. Always great to know a forum member had a good experience with a designer! Do you have a link to your chips anywhere?

8. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator

9. pdwatermelon

pdwatermelon Well-Known Member

When are you looking to make the order - I haven't designed chips much - Except my own, but I might be able to do pretty good! Shoot me a PM. I like where you are headed.

10. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator

Media:
    I used quicksilver75 to do my labels for my Viva Las Vegas fractional chip and he was very good. You might try to PM him for more information about thickness.

QuickSilver75 likes this.
  11. TexRex

TexRex Well-Known Member

12. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

I have reached out to a few people (regarding chips and/or labels), only one has responded seriously so far. I hear all these wonderful things about PGI, but I have PM'ed them and left a phone voicemail and still haven't heard anything back in multiple days.

Should I feel bad about my design, that other thread are getting offers from designers, and I can't even get people to reply to my inquiries?! lol

13. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie

Albums:
  14. CdnBeerLover

CdnBeerLover ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Best way to contact PGI in my experience is to send an email (sales@palmimports.com). Joe is normally very quick to respond. However, with the impending arrival of the second CPS shipment, he might be a bit busy...

15. naked_eskimo

naked_eskimo Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

16. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

Thanks for the email idea, I sent him one.

Also, those ceramics are really cool! Not as custom as I would like of course, but man those are the coolest ceramics I have seen to date! Thanks for sharing :)