Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Local Bar Busted

Discussion in 'Home Poker and the LAW' started by Phaetos, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Phaetos

Phaetos Well-Known Member

Personally I think the Louisiana government is a load of horsesh!t. Banning any type of gambling outside of "legal establishments" solely to pad your pockets more, IMO.

http://wafb.com/Global/story.asp?s=4275211

The state law prior to last year was that you couldn't hold gambling in bars or places where the "house" was taking a cut or rake. The bars never took rakes, but the ATF and La govt. decided that them profiting from the sale of drinks or food was close enough to taking a rake. Now they passed this "executive order" that any bar that helps "advertise or run" a poker game is in violation. This is pure horsesh!t as far as I'm concerned. Listen to this video and read the text. It is hilarious. In violation for "having timing devices and poker table tops" :razz:

2. Ramstone

Ramstone Well-Known Member

Uh, don't we have like, I dunno, a $100 billion hurricane recovery effort to worry about? Priorities?

I try not to get political on this great forum, but our country's on Tilt.

3. Clonexx

Clonexx Well-Known Member

I still think its sickening that something like this is even punishable by law if the bar is not taking a cut.

If you want to go after the "bad men" running the illegal card rooms which are charging per hour for time or taking a rake, fine. They are a clean and cut example of an illegal establishment (here in NY at least).

Leave the damn small time bars alone for hosting tournaments when they aren't taking a cut of it but instead are offering it to try and draw new business in and to offer something fun to their regulars.