Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

League Points

Discussion in 'Tournament Structures' started by Heltrix, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Heltrix

Heltrix Member

I belong to what could at this point be considered a poker league (around 100 players belong to the group). I am thinking of starting a point system in order to have a so called "tournament of champions." My proposed system is laid out below. Any comments/criticisms are welcomed for this layout. Wondering if this seems like a good layout.

- Base points for tournament based on number of players (20 players, 1st gets 20, 2nd gets 19, etc.).
    - Bonus points for final table (1st gets 10, 2nd gets 7, 3rd gets 5, 4th and 5th get 3, 6th and 7th get 2, 8th and 9th get 1).
    - Points awarded for cash games (3/hr played)
    --> Tournament of champions consists of: Highest total of each month, highest totals of each quarter (3 month), highest overall finishes to fill in up to 20 players.

We have different buy-ins for tournaments, though I think this is evened out by the fact that higher stakes tournaments draw less people.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Alex

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. bmontana33

bmontana33 Well-Known Member

I'm sure some of the more experienced people in terms of running leagues may be able to give better insight. But at first glance...

I have seen many people use/discuss a points formula similar to what you suggested (and some love it, it's simple), however, one of the downsides is that there is a discrepancy for the number of points awarded based upon finish depending on the number of entrants for the tournament. For example (100 person tourney), if I finish in 50th place (I beat half the field) I get 50 points. If you then follow that tourney with a 80 person tourney and I beat half the field again, I only receive 40 points. So its hard for a player to catch up if they happen to have a good tourney and the field was smaller than most for some reason.

The formula I'm using for my first league that starts in january is similar to the scoring system used for the chiptalk WSOP league (you can just ignore the rebuy portion if there are no rebuys or you do not want to penalize players for rebuying:

10*(SQRT(Number of Players/Finishing Place)) – (Number of Rebuys)

With this formula, in both examples above, beating half the field nets the same amount of points (14.14 points). However, it does award more points for the higher placed finishers and the larger the field the more points the winners get as the larger the field the more difficult it is to win.

And if you want to take into account the buy-ins, Dr. Neau's formula could be another option.

Tournament Points = (SQRT((a * b) * (b / c)) / (d + 1.0))
    where
    a = Number of Players
    b = Buy-in Amount
    c = Total Expense (Buy-in + Re-buy)
    d = Player Finish

My only concern, and I'm sure there is a way to do it, but I'm not sure how you plan on awarding points based upon cash games?

Hope this gives you a few ideas to think about.

3. jake_rrr

jake_rrr Creativity Alliance

I also do the same formula posted above. I have a nice excel spreadsheet doing the work for me, and it works out really well. This is the 4th season of using it. Averaging about 10 guys a game.

I too am curious on how you would award points on cash game? If I was you I would just do tourney points and let people just play cash when they want.

4. UW85

UW85 Chipaholic
    Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Search around a bit -- there have been MANY, many threads on this issue -- no sense reinventing the wheel. A few of the ideas were quite simple, others very eloquent and detailed. I like simple!
    :)

Best of luck.

5. Headstone

Headstone Well-Known Member

I've used Dr.Neau's formula for several years. It's fair and rewards players according to the size of the field & the size of the buyin. I don't use rebuys but have and it compensates fairly.

I use the formula with a multiplier to get add-on chips for the championship game as well as to determine a season points leader and knockout champion. Both players get a freeroll into the championship tournament.