Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Labeled chips for .10/.20 game?

Discussion in 'Poker Chip General' started by ryanco, May 3, 2016.

1. ryanco

ryanco Member

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at mixing up my monthly $20 tourney for a $20 cash game, either fixed 7-card stud or NLHE. Obviously, I'm starting at .10/.20 for 100 BB, but I'm having a difficult time finding a new set in that covers these denominations.

Questions:

1) Does anyone make these denoms without going through CPC?
    2) Should I just choose .25/.25 instead for the same $20 buy-in?

Thanks for your help!

2. Craig D

Craig D Well-Known Member

I to use 10c20c blinds $20 buy in

10c 50c $1 chips and $20 plaques

Depending on budget China clay's or Paulson's with labels are cool

Quicksilver75 great designer and did mine PM him because he frequents another poker chip forum

http://www.gearlabels.com/ is highly recommended

3. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes, it seems like dimes are rare in standard sets these days.
    Others here may be able to point you to some vendors that have them.

There are a few sets that have $.05 chips, though. That just means using more chips - that's a good thing, right?
    :laugh:

You didn't mention your preferences for chip type, design, or budget.
    You might consider some custom ceramics or labeled China clay chips, which would be cheaper (albeit perhaps less desirable) than full custom clays. (I went with custom labeled China clays for my cash set, and have been happy with them.)

Your idea of playing .25/.25 seems like a good idea. That really opens up your choices for chipsets.

4. SIOUXICIDE

SIOUXICIDE Well-Known Member

I used to run a .10/.20 game and used 200 x.10, 200 x .50, 100 x $2.00, and 100 x $10.00 for rebuys, a full buy in would get 20 x .10, 20 x .50, 4 x $2.00 and a $10.00 buy in would get 10 x .10, 10 x .50, 2 x $2.00

I used $10.00's instead of $20.00's because in a game of that size a $20.00 bet was unheard of and I don't believe in having chips in play that's bigger then the normal bets in that particular game. It causes players to play tighter and kills the action if hot players start cooling down at the end. They basically just hold on to the big chips and leave rather then stay and play.

If you play .25/.25 more money gets in play due to the increase in bet sizing. Just think a lot of people bet between 5-10 BBs preflop and in a .10/.20 that's 1.00, but in .25/.25 that's 1.25! It's up to you though, I have different sets for different player groups, good luck! MOAR CHIPPPPPSSS

5. ryanco

ryanco Member

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find those china clays with 10c and 50c denoms, but they are a little hard to find. Do you know of any?

Using a designer is probably out of my price range, but thanks for the recommendation. I'll check out that website, for sure.

6. ryanco

ryanco Member

Indeed, those vendors are hard to find. I've found one or two with $.05 chips, but I just imagined raising and re-raising with a bunch of nickels and it turned to chaos in my mind.

I suppose I'm looking for anything at or below the $0.60 per chip range. Ceramics or China clays - no preference. Where did you go for your custom China clays??

7. ryanco

ryanco Member

I like your set up philosophy and would do something very similar. Maybe even use $5 chips instead of $10. Which vendor did you go with?

I honestly think the .25/.25 would be a little too aggressive for my particular home game at a $20 buy-in. But, boy, the chip options at that blind level would be nice!

8. Cu3 O_o

Cu3 O_o Well-Known Member

I run a .25/.25 home game, most of my guys like to buy-in from 20 to 60 at a time. My set is 100 x .25, 100 x 1, 100 x 5, 40 x 25, and 20 x 100... This is so I can have a larger buy in and give less chips...
    My guys like to bet with ALL the quarters they have even if they raise to $3 (BLAH)..to me less chips is easier...

12 - .25
    12 - 1
    12 - 5
    1 - 25

for a 100 buy in, and we make change at from the pot or with other players when needed..

I am not a fan of the 200 x .10 but if your players dont raise often then it does work for them , But if they start raising often with all dimes it can be a pain...

9. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I got in on the group buy for the CPS chips from PGI, with custom labels.
    http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/three-toed-petes-custom-cps-chips.90130/#post-1302477

10. ryanco

ryanco Member

11. ryanco

ryanco Member

I agree–less chips the easier. I won't need as much as they would only buy in for up to $20 at a time, so it may be the lesser of two evils to just play with dimes. I can have $1 chips for consolidating those dimes just to clean up the table; not necessarily for betting purposes if it's .10/.20 fixed limit.

Cu3 O_o likes this.