Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

KREY Invitational Design

Discussion in 'ChipTalk Mall' started by ttttubby, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ttttubby

ttttubby Well-Known Member

Here is a mockup for some labels and some matching plaques that I'm working up for another CT member. He plans on ordering the labels from Joe at PGI and the plaques from Old West Poker Supplies.

[​IMG]

UPDATE: Just got some photos of the prototypes that Sal ran for the plaques and dealer buttons... holy #$%^! they look fantastic!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. courage

courage Lifetime Mean Girl
    Lifetime Supporter

How could he go wrong, they all look great! Nice work. I would choose the German plaques and the white 5000 but I'd change some spots on the 500 - 5000 since the green is similar. Maybe resolve by making the center spot on the 500 pink? Or those changes may not be an option ...

3. ttttubby

The spots on the chips are preset. He's labeling some Nexgen lucky bees (notice the mold). This is for a tournament that my client hosts once a year, and he wants to swap out the T5000 chip that he uses every other year (which is why you see both a white and a blue T5000 chip).

4. Krafticus

Krafticus Well-Known Member
    Premium Supporter

I think these are labels going on some NexGen luckybees (hence the mold), so not sure you can change the spots.

As for the plaques.. I love them both, but the german flag seems uber-cool :wink:

Mark

5. courage

Lifetime Supporter

My DUH moment, just could not figure out why two different 5K.

The German plaque is very cool, it almost trumps the 25K, so may want to make that one 3-color also?

6. ttttubby

Wow, no love for the red plaque eh? Have to say I'm a bit surprised.

7. courage

Lifetime Supporter

I adore the red plaque. I want to marry the red plaque. :wink:

The German one is very cool if he wants that heritage reflected. But either set is great!

8. Dazzler

Dazzler Well-Known Member

A random collection of thoughts Erik that may or may-not help :)

Prefer the German colours on the 10k plaque

The 25,000 plaque could be made larger to give it prominence over the 10,000 plaque.

You have commas on the plaques but not on the 1k and 5k chip. Note if he's European then they use a . instead of a ,

There's an obvious repeat pattern going on in the background of the plaques, try to make it random.

I see the shadow on the text on the plaque and can see why it's done, but you have a 3D shield effect with no shadow? You may have lifted the logo but maybe the goat should have a 3D effect as it it was creased onto the shield.

I would probably ditch the 'Tournament' off the chip so you can increase the Denom size.
    If this is an annual thing then people who don't play much, have poorer eyesight or colour blind (all same edgespots) may find it helpful to have larger denoms (how much is this one again etc). This as well as I think the denoms are a little small - to me the denom text should be almost reaching the size of the KREY text to balance with the KREY and shield.

Hope this helps and great work so far

9. ttttubby

Thanks for the feedback.

1) As I've understood it, you only add commas when there are more than one digit to the left of where the comma would go (hence the inclusion of commas for 10,000, and 25,000 but not 1000, and 5000). But that is easily fixed.

2) The reason I didn't add a shadow to the shield is because I wanted the outline surrounding the shield to flow into the outline dividing the center stripe from the colors above and below it. But again, very easy to fix.

3) My client wanted the word 'tournament' to be part of the design as the full title of the tournament is the 'Krey Invitational Tournament.' But we might be able to shrink some of the other elements of the design in order to make the denoms a bit larger. But given the sharp contrast between the red denom and the white background, I think the denom size will be pretty readable as it is (right now they are bigger than the denoms on the WSOP chips - or pretty close to it), but again, this is pretty easy to fix.

10. jbutler16

jbutler16 Old Man Sweater

damn, those look hot, ttttttttttttubby, especially the latest iteration of the plaques. definitely the sweetest set of lucky bees i've seen. would go with white T5k.

11. spike_woo

spike_woo Well-Known Member

you should order plaques from matsui which will look a lot better than ceramic plaque~

12. jbutler16

when your friends ask you which color toyota you think looks best do you recommend they just buy a maserati?

13. ttttubby

Lol this^^

14. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    I really like this latest version, and I love what you did with the 25K plaque. Nicely done, sir!

On the 25K plaque, did you consider using the green background on the goat's ribbon/collar (what is that?)? I noticed that on the 10K plaque you used the color from the bottom third, and the blue is from the top third.

15. courage

Lifetime Supporter

These are really looking hot hot hot! Very classy elements. I love green but the latest 25k plaque with that color isn't making it for me (just personal pref, it's what your client thinks that matters). I'd go with a lavender or salmon for that lower half and change the ribbon/collar as abby noted (leftover from previous mockup, I think). Gonna be great! Would love to action shots of these in play.

16. Msemoch

Msemoch Well-Known Member

Well, we are definitely in the final stages of the Krey Invitational Project. The chip inlay art and payment have been sent to PGI. I received my plaque samples today, and will have a final decision and the plaque art to Salvatore by Monday. When I get the finished product, I will post a little history on the design along with photos of the actual chips and plaques.

Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback, particularly Courage, who suggested making the 25k a tri color to match the 10k. I am absolutley obsessed with plaques, and the cheapo set I already have has been a big hit at the tournament year after year, so I cannot wait to have these designs brought to life.

While I would like to have a true clay for the tournament chips and Matsui plaques, the sheer volume I need (2.5k chips, 60+ plaques) would make for an extremely expensive once-a-year set. The price for a custom labelled injection molded chip set and matching ceramic plaques has already gotten a little silly.

Finally, I would like to thank Erik for his awesome designs. Besides a few cosmetic tweaks, he had nearly the final inlay for the Lucky Bees in my inbox 24 hours after I sent him my vision. The plaque designs really came together well. I think he did a great job in mimicking the texture and illusion of a lunette surface that I was looking for. You can see his passion for design by how quickly he works to mock up new concepts and also in how he would provide me many different lay-outs with each version. Thanks again.

17. jbutler16

looking forward to seeing these guys. i love the colors of the purple lucky bee chip and those plaques should be badass. if you have an extra sample set, i'd love to pick one up.

18. ttttubby

Updated the op with the latest version of this design. Comments are welcome.

19. BGinGA

BGinGA Banned

tttubby, I missed the original artwork (and earlier updates, if there were any). But what you have posted in the OP right now (as of 7/12/2011) is spectacular -- the plaques are simply gorgeous. I wouldn't change a single detail on anything.

Except maybe the shipping address (billing address can stay the same, of course). :laugh:

20. courage

Lifetime Supporter

They look fantastic! My only question is where is the the Krey tourney held? I'd love to play with these.